Official Today's Canadian election results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because marriage isn't a religious institution in this country. If Atheists, Buddhists, Wiccans, Muslims etc can get married, what legal standing do they have to deny two consenting adults from getting married?

I'm not arguing anything from a legal perspective, like I said, there's no point in being anti. Maybe it's just me but the pro connotation is seemingly strongly supportive, I.e. parade type support. But maybe that's just my definition of pro being inaccurate.

I don't support gay marriage but I'm not anti either due to there being no leg to stand on legally.

I take your point though.

Figo

|Garowe|Jalam|Galkacyo|
VIP
Nobody cares about Canadian elections :mjlol:I swear if it was American elections happening social media would be blowing up. :westbrookswag:

menace

President - Sexaholics Anonymous, Ohio chapter
VIP
Because marriage isn't a religious institution in this country. If Atheists, Buddhists, Wiccans, Muslims etc can get married, what legal standing do they have to deny two consenting adults from getting married?

Where's your deen ? Ina lilahi wa inaa ileyhi rajicuun cooliocoolio

Duchess

HRH Duchess of Puntland, The Viscount of Garoowe
VIP
I'm not arguing anything from a legal perspective, like I said, there's no point in being anti. Maybe it's just me but the pro connotation is seemingly strongly supportive, I.e. parade type support. But maybe that's just my definition of pro being inaccurate.

I don't support gay marriage but I'm not anti either due to there being no leg to stand on legally.

I take your point though.

I'm not gonna go out to a gay rally, wear rainbow colors or attend the annual gay pride parade lol but I support their right to get married in Canada. Even if it wasn't legal, I would support its legalisation and I wouldn't be turned off from a candidate because of their positive stance on gay marriage. Gay marriage has been a reality in Canada for over a decade. Even the Conservatives support it. lol

@menace, I'm not speaking from a religious stand point here but a legal one. I'm Muslim, alhamdulilah. Don't question my deen just 'cause you disagree with me. :umad:

Sultana

On Hiatus
I feel sad for Faisal though, apparently lots of Somalis didn't want to vote for him. Nearly all of Dixon voted Liberal.

Duchess

VIP
I feel sad for Faisal though, apparently lots of Somalis didn't want to vote for him. Nearly all of Dixon voted Liberal.

It's his fault. He was relatively unknown and did next to nothing to change that. His riding has about 80,000 Somalis and I bet less than 10% bothered to vote for him.

menace

President - Sexaholics Anonymous, Ohio chapter
VIP
I'm not gonna go out to a gay rally, wear rainbow colors or attend the annual gay pride parade lol but I support their right to get married in Canada. Even if it wasn't legal, I would support its legalisation and I wouldn't be turned off from a candidate because of their stance on gay marriage. Gay marriage has been a reality in Canada for over a decade. Even the Conservatives support it.

@menace, I'm not speaking from a religious stand point here but a legal one. I'm Muslim, alhamdulilah. Don't question my deen just 'cause you disagree with me. :umad:
You are making no sense right now, I love you and everything but this is a display of "diinta is irrelevant in my judgement on this". With this type of way of thinking imagine if malakul-mawt comes to you tonight, do you know the pain of death? Then been crushed inside your grave where a snake wraps himself around you. This dunya is a small journey. I am a sinner but there are things I don't take lightly. Khaniisnimo is an upper level dambi. I urge you to change your trajectory.

Duchess

VIP
You are making no sense right now, I love you and everything but this is a display of "diinta is irrelevant in my judgement on this". With this type of way of thinking imagine if malakul-mawt comes to you tonight, do you know the pain of death? Then been crushed inside your grave where a snake wraps himself around you. This dunya is a small journey. I am a sinner but there are things I don't take lightly. Khaniisnimo is an upper level dambi. I urge you to change your trajectory.

Is Canada a Muslim country? Is marriage in Canada a religious institution? If both answers are no then legally (not morally) why would you oppose two consenting adults getting married?

BTW, my position is supported by Sheikh Hamza Yusuf. It does not take me out of the fold of Islam. :ufdup:

Sultana

On Hiatus
I just hope that Ahmed Hussen's victory is the beginning of the creation of a strong Somali middle class in Canada. We need good representation for Somalis in the media.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
It's his fault. He was relatively unknown and did next to nothing to change that. His riding has about 80,000 Somalis and I bet less than 10% bothered to vote for him.

See this is what I hate about Somalis. Faisal was running NDP, basically the same thing as the liberals. Why not just vote for the guy??
It is not like he is running in a risky seat where conservatives have a hope in hell of winning.

Duchess

VIP
See this is what I hate about Somalis. Faisal was running NDP, basically the same thing as the liberals. Why not just vote for the guy??
It is not like he is running in a risky seat where conservatives have a hope in hell of winning.

He didn't make any effort to mobilize Somali voters in the area.

One thing I dont like about Harper is his anger problems. He was biting his tongue and looked like he wanted to punch someone in his speech just now.

He told privately to his closest people that his biggest enemy was the Liberal party and he has worked more than 3 decades trying to destroy them. He despised Pierre Trudeau. And for his son to destroy him, it must be heart crushing.

Sultana

On Hiatus
One thing I dont like about Harper is his anger problems. He was biting his tongue and looked like he wanted to punch someone in his speech just now.

He told privately to his closest people that his biggest enemy was the Liberal party and he has worked more than 3 decades trying to destroy them. He despised Pierre Trudeau. And for his son to destroy him, it must be heart crushing.

It was beautiful. Harper wrote an article 2 days after Pierre Trudeau was buried lambasting him and for Trudeau's son to beat him, poetic justice.

There are disagreeable aspects to Stephen Harper’s personality. He is prone to mood swings. He can fly off the handle. He goes into funks, sometimes for long periods. He is suspicious of others. The public is aware of these traits mostly through what’s written and reported in the media. In public, Harper is almost invariably calm, measured, and careful in what he says and how he says it. Yet none of us, watching him, have any difficulty believing that this closed, repressed personality is capable of lashing out from time to time. We all get the vibe. His personality also comes out in the tactics that the Conservative Party uses against its enemies, both perceived and real – which are, in a word, ruthless.

As with most of us, Harper’s character flaws are the reverse side of his character strengths: One would not exist without the other. He has been Prime Minister for a decade not despite these qualities but because of them.

The most cited characteristic of Stephen Harper is his legendary temper.

He can descend into rages, sometimes over trivial things, at other times during moments of crisis. A former aide to Harper recalls a time during the 2004 election campaign when things suddenly started to go very badly for the Conservatives, for reasons we’ll examine later. Harper was on the campaign bus, in Quebec, leading a conference call with senior campaign staff back at headquarters in Ottawa. “He was very, very angry,” the former aide recalls. “It was: ‘We are fucking going to do this, and you are fucking going to do that and I want to see this fucking thing done right now.’ And then he paused and asked: ‘And why does nothing happen around here unless I say ‘f*ck’? ”

Harper’s temper manifests itself in different ways. Some days, he just gets up on the wrong side of the bed. Other times, he flies off the handle when confronted with bad news. That’s when the decibel level goes through the roof and the f-bombs start flying. Harper’s reaction when he was told in April, 2008, that the RCMP had raided Conservative Party headquarters in connection with the in-and-out affair, carrying out boxes of material past the TV cameras, was wondrous to behold.

But when Harper is really angry at you, he’s very calm. He looks you straight in the eye and tells you how you’ve failed him, and if you are a faithful follower, you simply want to die. The state beyond that is even worse. He simply cuts you out. He doesn’t speak to you, doesn’t reply to your messages, freezes you out of meetings. At this point, you should be pursuing a new career opportunity.

Another of Harper’s less attractive qualities is a perceived lack of loyalty toward others. One-time political adviser Tom Flanagan points out that Harper has betrayed or estranged many in the conservative movement who were at one time senior to him – Joe Clark, Jim Hawkes, Brian Mulroney, Preston Manning. This, Flanagan believes, is the product of Harper’s need to dominate whatever environment he is in. “I think he has this very strong instinct to be in charge,” he said. “He really wants to be the alpha figure, and he’s achieved that. So part of that is to dispose of anyone who might be considered to be a rival in some sense or another.”

Flanagan also asserts that “there is a huge streak of paranoia in Stephen. And he attracts people who have a paranoid streak. And if you don’t have one to begin with, you develop it, because you’re constantly hearing theories.” At its root, “looking back, there’s a visceral reluctance to trust the motives of other people,” Flanagan concludes. “He often overcomes his initial suspicions and will sign on to other people’s ideas. But the initial response is always one of suspicion.” Flanagan believes Harper is prone to depression. “He can be suspicious, secretive, and vindictive, prone to sudden eruptions of white-hot rage over meaningless trivia,” he wrote in 2014, “at other times falling into week-long depressions in which he is incapable of making decisions.”

Concerning Flanagan’s contention that Harper is prone to paranoia or depression, [one of his oldest friends, John] Weissenberger simply replies: “Bullshit.” Harper does not suffer from depression. Depression is a clinical condition that may be unrelated to external events. When Harper goes into a funk, there’s always a good reason. Those funks can be long and deep, combining introspection with sulking with a sudden loss of self-confidence. But he always comes out of them, and over the years he’s done an increasingly better job of keeping them under control.

Although they are in fact separate issues, this general air of secretiveness gets mixed up with the Conservatives’ willingness to demonize opponents. In fact, the Tories don’t have opponents; they have enemies. The Leader of the Liberal Party is an enemy. Judges who strike down their legislation are enemies. Union leaders are enemies. Authors and other artists who criticize the Conservatives are enemies. Journalists who cast a more-than-occasional critical eye on the government are enemies. And toward his enemies Stephen Harper bars no holds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts