Official Raptors Fan Page

Celery

Vasodilator
VIP
Nick Nurse on why he changed what was working: “Sometimes you coach for the moment (i.e to get a W that day) and sometimes you coach for the future (risk losing this game to figure out what works and what doesn’t). Brilliant coach.

Celery

Vasodilator
VIP
HORNETS 99
RAPTORS 96

The Raptors are 33-3 against sub 500 teams so I turned this off even though hornets led 73-66 heading into the fourth. I turned it back on late and Raptors were up 90-89, and I thought to myself “of course, obviously” and turned it back off.

Then I saw this just now, the next day and this is embarrassing. Norman Powell returned from injury and played like an all star but Serge and Fred were late scratches from the lineup. Even then they should still beat this team.

On to Denver Sunday night. A tough stretch is coming up where the Raptors face Denver, Houston, Boston, Lakers and 76ers. With a near full-strength team, now we can evaluate what they can do. If they lose all of these games or win just one, then I’m going to crown Milwaukee even before the playoffs start.

If however they win all or most of these tough games, bring on the bucks.

Celery

Vasodilator
VIP
KNICKS 125
ROCKETS 123

This game was super interesting, not only because one of the worst teams beat the rockets, but because of how they beat them.

After the trade deadline the Rockets went “ultra-small ball”, playing with three forwards and two guards, none of which is taller than 6’7”. The strategy is to get teams to collapse in on James Hardin so he can find open shooters or unleash Russel Westbrook to drive to the rim. This strategy has been working well so far, yielding big wins against the Clippers, Lakers and most recently, the Celtics.

So what happened against the Knicks? If you don’t know this the Knicks are the exact opposite of the Rockets small ball. They field giant power forwards and centres. The Knicks strategy was to kill the Rockets in the paint and out-rebound them. The Knicks had 65 rebounds to the Rockets 34, winning 20-8 in the offensive rebound category. The Knicks had 64 points in the paint to the Rockets 36.

The Rockets did outscore the Knicks by 24 from three but got out scored by 28 from inside the paint. As it turns out, it’s easier to score a bunch of twos when you’re much bigger than the other team. I wonder if other teams are taking note.

Trending