Not feeling somali enough

Baarisiyomoos

buuq iyo balaayo 🫧
Do you guys ever feel like you’re not somali enough? I was born and raised in Toronto so I’ve always been around Somalis, but I went to a school outside the city where most people were timo jileec or cadaan. As a result I had no somali friends (aside from cousins my age) until I went to uni two years ago. Now when I hang out with my somali friends I feel like a poser lol. Even though we look, dress and talk the same it seems that it’s obvious to everyone that im the odd one out. Am I being neurotic or have any of you experienced this? What do I do?

Baarisiyomoos

buuq iyo balaayo 🫧
this forum is only place i interact with fellow Somalis join the club.
do you live somewhere where there’s no somalis? after I went to uni and made somali friends, i realized that even though my ajnabi friends are great, you can’t match the level of comfort you have around Somalis, i love it.

techsamatar

I put Books to the Test of Life
do you live somewhere where there’s no somalis? after I went to uni and made somali friends, i realized that even though my ajnabi friends are great, you can’t match the level of comfort you have around Somalis, i love it.
I attended boarding school and later pursued a degree apprenticeship. Through connections, I found myself working in the Fintech industry in Inside sales and consulting. I could have already completed my university education by now in 3rd year, but I perceive traditional universities as a scam due to their Riba/interest. Unless you're pursuing fields like medicine or law where a degree is essential, the investment often doesn't justify the expenses and war with Allah is not worth it as its one of major sins after shirk murder and zina.

Baarisiyomoos

buuq iyo balaayo 🫧
I attended boarding school and later pursued a degree apprenticeship. Through connections, I found myself working in the Fintech industry in Inside sales and consulting. I could have already completed my university education by now in 3rd year, but I perceive traditional universities as a scam due to their Riba/interest. Unless you're pursuing fields like medicine or law where a degree is essential, the investment often doesn't justify the expenses and war with Allah is not worth it as its one of major sins after shirk murder and zina.
MashaAllah that’s amazing, Fintech is where the money is. I agree, riba is dangerous and I don’t entertain it. In Canada we have a system where students get grants and interest free loans and that’s how I pay for uni. Im also grateful for my parents who set up a uni fund for me.

Khaemwaset

Djiboutian 🇩🇯 | 𐒖𐒆𐒄A𐒗𐒃 🇸🇴
VIP
Take a couple months in Somaliweyn of possible. When I was about 10-11 I was in Djibouti for like 6 months and I was slowly integrating and living the Somali life before I went back to Europe and forgot most of it. Had I stayed longer and went in a somali school like my brother instead of being put in an American school I would've been completely integrated into somali society back home and still be able to be a part of Western society. But life isn't always the way you want it ig.

Radical

Certified CNC expert.
I get the imposter syndrome but it's literally in your blood, you could be born in venus and still be Somali, nothing can take that away from you.

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Felt the same way but I have been surrounded by somalis my whole life kkkk. Its just a fleeting feeling, it will go away.

Baarisiyomoos

buuq iyo balaayo 🫧
Take a couple months in Somaliweyn of possible. When I was about 10-11 I was in Djibouti for like 6 months and I was slowly integrating and living the Somali life before I went back to Europe and forgot most of it. Had I stayed longer and went in a somali school like my brother instead of being put in an American school I would've been completely integrated into somali society back home and still be able to be a part of Western society. But life isn't always the way you want it ig.
I went to xamar during summer break when I was 15. it felt nice being among so many Somalis but I still felt out of my place. maybe if I stayed longer I would’ve adjusted, like you said. why not go back now? it sounds like you had a good time

Baarisiyomoos

buuq iyo balaayo 🫧
I get the imposter syndrome but it's literally in your blood, you could be born in venus and still be Somali, nothing can take that away from you.
that’s true that’s comforting, but it still makes me sad that I don’t seem to mesh as well as other Somalis my age do.

worry about your life and deen don’t worry about being “somali enough”. there’s more important things in life then acting stereotypical

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
okay so it’s not just me :noneck:

Our environment and living experience shape us, its normal you feel little bit different to you friends who presumably lived in ajanabi/somali neighbourhoods. Even then, its obvious you have connected with them due to you being somali, otherwise you wouldn’t most likely hang out with them. I wouldn’t even say its them being more
”more somali” then you thats making you feel different, its just the fact you did not grow up among that many somalis.

Them living around somalis doesn’t make them more somali, well it obviously helps but we live in the west, not Somalia. So it really just depends on the individual after all because we don’t live in a somali country.

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
It means you're a individual unlike the hoards of drones we call somalis. Cherish your superpower sister

Trending