Noah's Ark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratos

Sonder

Very interesting video on the story of Noah and the scientific problems encountered with the flood. What do you guys think about this analysis and how do you justify your belief in the story?

Last edited:

Kratos

Sonder
Apparently after all the kangaroos were wiped out, the surviving ones disembarked from the boat (which landed somewhere in the middle east) and hopped back to their home in Australia.

Kratos

Sonder
Apparently after all the kangaroos were wiped out, the surviving ones disembarked from the boat (which landed somewhere in the middle east) and hopped back to their home in Australia.

Shortly after that the penguins got off the boat and waddled over to Antarctica.

Kratos

Sonder
There's also the fact that the story of Noah's Ark originated in Babylon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utnapishtim

They got it and many other things from the Epic of Gilgamesh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh#Relationship_to_the_Bible

There are a lot of parallels between Abrahamic faiths and Paganism if one is willing to search for them. Don't get me started on Jesus Christ.

Yeah I've heard about that before. That's a really interesting point. The historicity of the bible has been studied extensively from a secular point of view and with the advent of biblical archaeology most christian theologians regard the stories in the bible as largely allegorical. Adam and Eve, Noah's ark, Moses splitting the Red Sea, mass enslavement of Jews in Egypt, all of these stories are considered metaphorical by any respected christian authorities due to their irreconcilable differences with modern evidence. It's a shame that no-one can study the Quran in such a similar way. Imagine someone got on TV in Saudi Arabia and said "Moses probably didn't split the Red Sea"

Kratos

Sonder
Unlike Christianity Islam doesn't claim the flood impacted the whole world.

Yes but it also doesn't specify that the flood was local. In the end it's open to interpretation. But the pagan parallels are still there. There are various references to a great flood in the traditions of the ancient near east, mainly Sumerian. In fact, the Epic of Gilgamesh is so similar to the Abrahamic accounts of the flood that it's widely regarded as the origin of the story of Noah's ark as we know it today.

Yes but it also doesn't specify that the flood was local. In the end it's open to interpretation. But the pagan parallels are still there. There are various references to a great flood in the traditions of the ancient near east, mainly Sumerian. In fact, the Epic of Gilgamesh is so similar to the Abrahamic accounts of the flood that it's widely regarded as the origin of the story of Noah's ark as we know it today.
That's because the flood did happen so of course it's story will not only be in abrahmic religions

Hatredfree

I got boomer connections
VIP

Ah I'm not too impressed with such farfetched connections, just because both stories are about floods doesn't render the other wrong.

Kratos

Sonder
Ah I'm not too impressed with such farfetched connections, just because both stories are about floods doesn't render the other wrong.

I know it doesn't render it wrong, what I meant to highlight was how the supernatural themes in the Quran are not unique. They are very similar to other religions. The idea of god punishing humanity for it's sins by wiping them out by a plague or a natural disaster is a very common religious theme. In fact there are even references to a divinely inspired flood wiping out entire populations as a punishment for their sins in Ancient Greek and Indian literature.

Kratos

Sonder
That's because the flood did happen so of course it's story will not only be in abrahmic religions

That's an interesting way to look at it except Gilgamesh was a king who ruled in Sumeria around 2500 BC and became a religious figure after his death. People attributed divine properties to him and he became an important part of Sumerian mythology. Noah was supposed to be the 2nd (mentioned) prophet and humans have been around for over 100,000 years. What are the chances that the great flood happened and Noah existed 4000-5000 years ago?

Last edited:

Hatredfree

I got boomer connections
VIP
I know it doesn't render it wrong, what I meant to highlight was how the supernatural themes in the Quran are not unique. They are very similar to other religions. The idea of god punishing humanity for it's sins by wiping them out by a plague or a natural disaster is a very common religious theme. In fact there are even references to a divinely inspired flood wiping out entire populations as a punishment for their sins in Ancient Greek and Indian literature.

You are mixing things in the sense most of the cultures you mentioned were either polytheists whereas Islam is monotheistic. So it makes huge distinction when you take the entire religion into context and not cherry pick few things that might seem similar. For example in Greek mythology the stories always come back to multiple God's unlike Islam.

Kratos

Sonder
You are mixing things in the sense most of the cultures you mentioned were either polytheists whereas Islam is monotheistic. So it makes huge distinction when you take the entire religion into context and not cherry pick few things that might seem similar. For example in Greek mythology the stories always come back to multiple God's unlike Islam.

No my point was that there are not a few things that are similar, rather lots. Noah's ark was just an example. And wether they're monotheistic or not doesn't matter, many religions have been inspired by others and ideas have been refined over time. I'm not saying Islam was btw, I'm just saying it seems to have some similarities to the pagan traditions of the ancient Near East

That's an interesting way to look at it except Gilgamesh was a king who ruled in Sumeria around 2500 BC and became a religious figure after his death. People attributed divine properties to him and he became an important part of Sumerian mythology. Noah was supposed to be the 2nd prophet and humans have been around for over 100,000 years. What are the chances that the great flood happened and Noah existed 4000-5000 years ago?
What are you talking about I don't understand your question

Kratos

Sonder
What are you talking about I don't understand your question

You said the flood did happen therefore it would be mentioned by non-abrahamic traditioned people who lived in the same area (the middle east) right? AKA Sumerians? I was saying that the Sumerian accounts (which are older) attribute the hero of the flood to their king Gilgamesh who lived in 2500BC (approximately). Even if the flood did happen it's unlikely it has anything to do with Noah. In the same way the Sumerians attributed the events to their king, Abrahamic religions such as Judaism (which is the oldest) could have attributed it to Noah - if there was a flood that is, and it's not just a story.

Hatredfree

I got boomer connections
VIP
No my point was that there are not a few things that are similar, rather lots. Noah's ark was just an example. And wether they're monotheistic or not doesn't matter, many religions have been inspired by others and ideas have been refined over time. I'm not saying Islam was btw, I'm just saying it seems to have some similarities to the pagan traditions of the ancient Near East

Still it doesn't prove anything bro. All it shows is that the ancient sammerians had flood story in their mythology, worse they were polytheists unlike Abrahamic faiths (may be Christianity) So, any connections stops there. Also, the fundamental principal between these religion's is different and the larger purpose behind the flood stories. For example if two stories both contain flood story but the the larger plot the reasoning for the flood is different that is what separates Islam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending