No such thing as a Somali philosopher

Status
Not open for further replies.
True philosopher isn’t afraid of asking deep existential questions

We’ve got religious philosophers but no philosophers who questions on reality as he sees

Only millennial Somalis can think like a westerner

Most of the older generation are dumb and xoolo

I have never heard them talk about something interesting

Atleast Arabs have great philosophers who even defied and questioned religion

I found this thread https://www.somalispot.com/threads/somali-philosophers-philosophies-are-there-any.20271/

I think our ancestors were busy surviving the harsh desert climate, no time to think I guess...

Nomad2054

There is nothing permanent except change.
first of all you are comparing 400 million people who mostly are arabised to 20 million somalis, second of all the only somali rapper to make it (Knaan) was name "the philosopher".

but you are right, some of our elders are really dumb wallahi i cant argue with you there.

Not to interject or anything but I did always think of myself as a Somali Philosopher. Please feel free to test me on anything upon habartaa buufkeed as the southern Somali folks would say whenever convenient. Maca Salama.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP

We’ve got religious philosophers but no philosophers who questions on reality as he sees

I found this thread https://www.somalispot.com/threads/somali-philosophers-philosophies-are-there-any.20271/

I think our ancestors were busy surviving the harsh desert climate, no time to think I guess...

Ideas don't come out of thin air. These philosophers were influenced by others in the region.

Greeks historically we're the most advanced because they had the most exposure to ideas surrounding them.

European enlightenment was built on top of ideas imported from other places.

We were stuck in the middle of nowhere and we barely had contact with our coastal regions forget other civilisations.

If we had long term states and cities then some of those ideas might have been imported and spread throughout our folks.

Unfortunately we could keep a city together for more than a generation before another subclan getting envious and burning down the place and it's libraries.

simulacrum

Neo-Darwinist
It's all about having access to work of other thinkers. If Geeljires had access to Greek philosophy, we would probably have more philosophers. The Persians/Arabs educated class were lucky to have the leisure and access to other great thinkers due to proximity.

Apollo

VIP
It's all about having access to work of other thinkers. If Geeljires had access to Greek philosophy, we would probably have more philosophers. The Persians/Arabs educated class were lucky to have the leisure and access to other great thinkers due to proximity.

European philosophers before 1950 were all a bunch of sexists, racists, elitists etc.

simulacrum

Neo-Darwinist
European philosophers before 1950 were all a bunch of sexists, racists, elitists etc.
True. Most of them had lower opinion of anyone that isn't white and bourgeoisie. However, they said some few interesting things about the human condition and reality, that's worth to look into.

Apollo

VIP
True. Most of them had lower opinion of anyone that isn't white and bourgeoisie. However, they said some few interesting things about the human condition and reality, that's worthy to look into.

Just finished a book on the history of Western philosophy. They were all tards and only started becoming semi-good after Rene Descartes (~1600).

Pondering the complexities of human existence is of no use to a nomadic people unless it pertains to their labour and their survival. Islam probably provided all the existential reassurance and spiritual fulfilment they needed.

BankaTuyo

حيران
Not to interject or anything but I did always think of myself as a Somali Philosopher. Please feel free to test me on anything upon habartaa buufkeed as the southern Somali folks would say whenever convenient. Maca Salama.

Can you please summarize for me Plato's 5 dialogues drawing parallels and examples from the Somali culture. thanks

BankaTuyo

حيران

Come by my marfish any time in the late afternoon after I've consumed an unnamed amount of Quutul Awliyaa and i'll change your mind. :):)

Hadraawi (the only Somali philosopher in my opinion) wrote some of his best works while he was under the stimulant. his literature isn't just poems and songs.

f*ck philosophy. Somalia needs scientists, engineers, doctors, nurses, economists, and many other careers. We certainly don't need an idiot sitting in his chair thinking instead of doing something useful. Maybe 2 generations down when Somalia is stable can we those types.

BankaTuyo

حيران
f*ck philosophy. Somalia needs scientists, engineers, doctors, nurses, economists, and many other careers. We certainly don't need an idiot sitting in his chair thinking instead of doing something useful. Maybe 2 generations down when Somalia is stable can we those types.

Somalis are an Oral society; Geeljire listens to words of wisdom, it is clear you haven't studied somali literature, do you have any idea how many times poems have started/stopped wars in our history. the kacaan was mainly implemented using literature more than any other instrument. we need philosophy.

The best time to change is yesterday and today is the next best option.

Somalis need to debate on a rational basis and the desired outcomes guided by abstract principles.
It demands us to make reasonable assumptions and reject that which makes no rational sense, and for Somalis that are collectively people such notions are destructive and sanctioned by negative social sanctions.

The first and main concepts that must take a back seat is political islam as it can't defended, yet you'll see those living in the comfort of the West uphold it, not due to sincere belief in the system nor due to compelling arguments for its superiority but rather because of combination of the sunk cost fallacy, tribalism and fear of social sanction.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
We have many poets who I would consider philosophers. Sayid Mohammad Abdullah Hassan is a well known and influential one.

Somalis are an Oral society; Geeljire listens to words of wisdom, it is clear you haven't studied somali literature, do you have any idea how many times poems have started/stopped wars in our history. the kacaan was mainly implemented using literature more than any other instrument. we need philosophy.
Look at somalia n tell me what it needs? Philosophy or education to raise that 68 IQ

Ape

Study Sunt Tzu’s, ‘Art of War’.
Somalis have no time for philosophy since they need to worry about their saac and geels more. Also, chatting shit like ‘does god exist’ or what is the meaning of life will get you killed or sent to jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts