Somali Philosophers & philosophies: Are there any?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Philosophy is the domain of the rich and middle class. Philosophy also involves highly intricate and detailed discussions on abstract concepts. No Somali is gonna sit around for hours talking about the nature of 'Self' or the reason why we exist.:mjlol:

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
Lol. Philosophy is the domain of the rich and middle class. Philosophy also involves highly intricate and detailed discussions on abstract concepts. No Somali is gonna sit around for hours talking about the nature of 'Self' or the reason why we exist.:mjlol:
Fucked up, but I laughed hard though. But, there probably are some modern philosophers, but ancient, I don't know. From my understanding, Somalis didn't write anything until modern times(20th century) in Somali, but wrote in Arabic since Islam came to them.

Fucked up, but I laughed hard though. But, there probably are some modern philosophers, but ancient, I don't know. From my understanding, Somalis didn't write anything until modern times(20th century) in Somali, but wrote in Arabic since Islam came to them.

Knowing Somalis' penchant for talking shit all day, you'd think we would have a couple of philosophers in our history. Maybe there was a poet who was also a philosopher at some point in our history?:cosbyhmm:

Another question is how come Somalis don't have a national epic like the Iliad or the Shahnama? For a nation of bards, we don't have much of an ouvre do we?:kodaksmiley:

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
Knowing Somalis' penchant for talking shit all day, you'd think we would have a couple of philosophers in our history. Maybe there was a poet who was also a philosopher at some point in our history?:cosbyhmm:

Another question is how come Somalis don't have a national epic like the Iliad or the Shahnama? For a nation of bards, we don't have much of an ouvre do we?:kodaksmiley:

Yeah, but my knowledge is just basic overview. Maybe some advance people can tell us. Most Western sources including some Somali scholars didn't say anything about philosophy. I did some quick research, according to Wikipedia -- under African they mention an Ethiopian and a Ghanaian philosophers. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy

There is but you have to Search for them, most of them are found in Islamic philosophy or Muslim studies carrying the names of their cities as last name (Somalia was called land of Berber )

Jujuman

Accomplished Saaxir
Philosophy is pretty much kufr in Islam (big influence on most Somalis) so I highly doubt there's an abundance of philosophers of Somali origin.

I don't know of any Somali philosophers both ancient or modern. Most Somalis in history tended to excel in Islamic studies.

However, the existence of pre-islamic Somali philosophers is questionable.
:manny:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending