No income growth for 60 years in some African countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
Most of Africa has experienced Malthusian growth over the past 60 years. Almost all increases in GDP are translated into higher population figures. Income per person is not growing because the difference between population growth and GDP growth is simply not big enough.

You have countries like Somalia where the population is growing at 3% and gdp is growing at 3.5%. That 0.5% is the per capita growth which is the figure that actually matters. Another example would be Kenya where GDP growth is 5.8% and population growth is 2.6%. This means that per capita income growth is actually 3.17%, which is very low for a low income country. African economies' growth in size is masking the lack of growth in income per person.

plOcMsi.png

Apollo

VIP
@Thegoodshepherd do you accept the ''red pill'' that there is probably something cognitively/genetically wrong with Sub-Saharan Africans causing the years of under-performance? I think that simple, but harsh fact explains 80% of Africa's problems.

@Thegoodshepherd do you accept the ''red pill'' that there is probably something cognitively/genetically wrong with Sub-Saharan Africans causing the years of under-performance? I think that simple, but harsh fact explains 80% of Africa's problems.
Aren't you the same SJW kid who was on my case for listing the differential IQ of nations?

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
But Europe 100 years ago, which was much less developed and had a much less uniform education, also had a lower IQ.
Why does everyone have to jump to race and not think about the fact that maybe African countries have a lower average IQ because they have less access to things like education compared to the West? Wouldn't it be smarter to compare the IQ of Sub-saharan Africans living in the West to those of Europeans?
Then, you have fewer confounding factors to throw off the comparison, like living standards or language or education.

Apollo

VIP
But Europe 100 years ago, which was much less developed and had a much less uniform education, also had a lower IQ.
Why does everyone have to jump to race and not think about the fact that maybe African countries have a lower average IQ because they have less access to things like education compared to the West? Wouldn't it be smarter to compare the IQ of Sub-saharan Africans living in the West to those of Europeans?
Then, you have fewer confounding factors to throw off the comparison, like living standards or language or education.

African Americans are a good ''natural experiment'' of introducing Sub-Saharan Africans into a first world country and see the outcome. They aren't doing well. Even despite decades of affirmative action and the like.

Recent migrant Africans may not be representative as they are selected for skills.

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
African Americans are a good ''natural experiment'' of introducing Sub-Saharan Africans into a first world country and see the outcome. They aren't doing well. Even despite decades of affirmative action and the like.

Recent migrant Africans may not be representative as they are selected for skills.
African Americans aren't a good "natural experiment", since they have things like being brought up into a culture that glorifies crime and looks down on educational attainment and gaining of knowledge.

I agree that immigrant Africans like Nigerians (who are doing very well), wouldn't be a good fit for the experiment either.

A good "natural experiment" would be to raise Africans under the exact same socio-economic background and educational background as your average middle-class cadaan, since things like culture (which holds many African Americans back greatly) would get in the way of this experiment.

If they still don't do well, and you have a large enough sample, then you have enough evidence to affirm this. Otherwise, you have a hell of a lot of confounding factors that get in the way and affect the validity of your experiment.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP

Yes, I do. I have no doubt that lower average IQ in SSA is the primary reason why it is so backward. I do not believe that IQ fully explains this backwardness, however. Parasite load, disease load and malnutrition explain ~30% of the difference imo.

Reading this book really changed my views on this topic.
https://goo.gl/VRmyMW

http://mason.gmu.edu/~gjonesb/O Ring Foolproof.pdf

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP

Majority of those high IQ Africans in the west are actually the Igbo's of nigeria. They have highest estimated IQ among sub saharan africans, other tribes of nigeria are responsible for bringing down the average IQ. They are the most populous african country, some of them are bound to be smart
:manny:

Yonis

Puntland Youth Organiser
FKD Visionary
VIP
Look at all those useless bantu countries, so many of them and they don't have two braincells between them. These countries are the future unfortunately, their fertility rates are out of control

Look at all those useless bantu countries, so many of them and they don't have two braincells between them. These countries are the future unfortunately, their fertility rates are out of control
:gucciwhat: we didn't even make the cut. why are you worried about bantus?

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
African Americans aren't a good "natural experiment", since they have things like being brought up into a culture that glorifies crime and looks down on educational attainment and gaining of knowledge.

I agree that immigrant Africans like Nigerians (who are doing very well), wouldn't be a good fit for the experiment either.

A good "natural experiment" would be to raise Africans under the exact same socio-economic background and educational background as your average middle-class cadaan, since things like culture (which holds many African Americans back greatly) would get in the way of this experiment.

If they still don't do well, and you have a large enough sample, then you have enough evidence to affirm this. Otherwise, you have a hell of a lot of confounding factors that get in the way and affect the validity of your experiment.

Somalis may actually be a good control. Most are refugees selected by the UN for resettlement or brought by previous refugees on a family visa.
Check out this thread of mine, you may find it interesting. I think Somalis have higher average IQs than AA, probably closer to the Latino average.

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/mismeasurement-of-the-somali.31553/

DuctTape

I have an IQ of 300
Somalis may actually be a good control. Most are refugees selected by the UN for resettlement or brought by previous refugees on a family visa.
Check out this thread of mine, you may find it interesting. I think Somalis have higher average IQs than AA, probably closer to the Latino average.

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/mismeasurement-of-the-somali.31553/
Interesting.
This is including adjusting for poverty, though, so I really do wonder what the average would be if socio-economic conditions were the same.

Actually :gucciwhat:
I keep forgetting how stupid and arbitrary IQ is, it is far, far from a good way to measure intelligence, I really wonder why we put so much stock into it :birdman:

Apollo

VIP
I keep forgetting how stupid and arbitrary IQ is, it is far, far from a good way to measure intelligence, I really wonder why we put so much stock into it :birdman:

On a population level it is very reliable. On an individual level less so. Basic Statistics. You can't dismiss it completely.

Thegoodshepherd

VIP
Interesting.
This is including adjusting for poverty, though, so I really do wonder what the average would be if socio-economic conditions were the same.

Actually :gucciwhat:

It is actually not adjusted for poverty. It is a straight comparison between Somalis and the state average. Keep in mind Minnesota is one of the whiter states in the US. The state average is not very far from the white average.

If you adjusted for poverty the results would be even more surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts