Study on Ancient East Africans, 41 individuals from Ancient Kenya/Tanzania

World

VIP
Sub Saharan African PCA with these new samples

upload_2019-6-7_18-24-48.png

They cluster very closely with Somalis and Oromos.

World

VIP
I think the first Omotic speakers also came from the North with E-M34 (Natufian related) and then mixed with Ethiopia_4500BP.

Again a reminder, modern populations =/= ancient populations.
Could also be due to West Asian admixture brought by Ethiosemites which would explain the lower incidence of J1 in Omotic people.

Apollo

VIP
Could also be due to West Asian admixture brought by Ethiosemites which would explain the lower incidence of J1 in Omotic people.

I am not so sure. Many have this image of Omotics as ultra-SSAs, but like Cushites they could stem from a group that clustered near Bejas and then pushed southward.

Perhaps they were the first to do so.

I think there were four North to South migrations in to the Horn:

Omotic from North Sudan to Ethiopia. ~6,000 years ago.
South Cushitic from Northeast Sudan to all the way to the Great Lakes. ~5,000 years ago.
East Cushitic from Northeast Sudan to Somalia. ~3,000 years ago.
South Semitic to the Ethiopian highlands. ~2,500-2,000 years ago.

World

VIP
@World @Nilotufian @EDsomali

I am disappointed at how new Somalis may be to Somalia. Fuuck. Three thousand years is not that long. :dead:
That's what I said before here, which could explain why East Cushites have higher SSA than the early northern pastoralists who left much earlier:

I think the ancestors of Southern Cushites left NE Sudan much earlier than the ancestors of Eastern Cushites.

But you disagreed me. :cosbyhmm:

World

VIP
It’s crazy that Tanzania and Kenya were entirely Cushitic.
We can get Kenya back (Somali pop. increasing) but Tanzania is a lost cause tbh
Kenya was South Cushitic, but not really Tanzania. Only the northern part of Tanzania around lake Victoria to Arusha.

But imagine if all Kenya was South Cushitic and Muslim, they could have even annexed the South Cushitic parts of Tanzania.

50+ more million people to the Cushitic family. :wowsweat:

Can you imagine a Pan-Cushitic union of Kenya + Somalia + Ethiopia + Eritrea + Djibouti + Sudan? :lawd:

World

VIP
I am not so sure. Many have this image of Omotics as ultra-SSAs, but like Cushites they could stem from a group that clustered near Bejas and then pushed southward.

South Cushitic from Northeast Sudan to all the way to the Great Lakes. ~5,000 years ago.
It isn't because they're ultra-SSAs

It's just they seem too backwards culturally and technologically.

Apollo

VIP
It isn't because they're ultra-SSAs

It's just they seem too backwards culturally and technologically.

The South ones took on the culture of the paleo-Ethiopians (HGs). The more northern ones have the same material culture as agricultural Oromos more or less.

World

VIP
The South ones took on the culture of the paleo-Ethiopians (HGs). The more northern ones have the same material culture as agricultural Oromos more or less.
If you mean the Wolaytas, then I don't really class them as representative of Omotics given their genetics.

Apollo

VIP
If you mean the Wolaytas, then I don't really class them as representative of Omotics given their genetics.

The original Omotics were similar to the first Cushites, so they are still Omotic.

The ones we think of as Omotic are actually language isolate (lost) Ethiopian hunter-gatherers primarily.

World

VIP
The original Omotics were similar to the first Cushites, so they are still Omotic.

The ones we think of as Omotic are actually language isolate (lost) Ethiopian hunter-gatherers primarily.
Tell that to them, lmao:

In 1991 the Transitional Government of Ethiopia (TGE) restructured the country into ethnically-based Regions, and Welayta became the centre of Region 9. Later, Welayta was included in the Southern Nations, Nationalities, and People's Region(SNNPR, consisting of the former regions 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11) as part of the Semien Omo Zone. The regional government claimed that the Welayta were so closely related to the other Omotic-speaking peoples of that zone that there was no justification for a separate Welayta zone. Welayta leaders, however, stressed that their people had a distinct language and culture and demanded a zone for themselves. In 1998, the regional government attempted to introduce an artificially constructed language, based on the various local North Omotic languages and dialects, as the new language of education and administration for Semien Omo Zone. This triggered violent protests by Welayta students, teachers and civil servants, which led to the withdrawal of the new language. In November 2000, the Welayta Zone was established.

BTW, these are the people who were supposed to be in the same zone as the Welayta:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement

South Semitic has been present in Ethiopia since the 10th century BC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dʿmt

land owner

Welcome to the yaab zone
VIP
They were absorbed by the Cushites, but they don't form a big portion of the ancestry of Somalis.

South Cushites absorbed them more strongly.
How much of that ancestry do somalis have? What’s the percentage?

Trending