Need to learn how to read Quran

I was never seat down with as a child and taught how to read the Quran in Af Arab. Due to having two parents that worked full time, but having a dad that prefer to chill with his buddies over his family. The only help I received was my Hooyo that purchased Quran in English text and pronounations. Does anyone know any books that I can purchase for Quran help. I really need to fix this issue because I've seen a lot of stuff a certain parent could have fixed and I don't want to pass on those qualities to my children one day.

Also the gate way to arabic books are fantastic .
I appreciate you taking the time to help. I know the alphabet, but when it starts to look like cursive, that's when I'm lost and also the casra and dumas . Thank you very much once again
walaalo.

Community Verified icon

I appreciate you taking the time to help. I know the alphabet, but when it starts to look like cursive, that's when I'm lost and also the casra and dumas . Thank you very much once again.
No worries. Those books will certainly help you in sha Allah keep going forward in sha Allah. while reading the quran on a app also listen to the recitation of that part .the more you practise it will become easier for you.

Last edited:
I use this android app called Ayat as it has option for tajweed rules.
Screenshot_20240314_072240_Ayat - Al Quran.jpg

Ayat - Electronic Mosshaf Project - for PCs and mobile phones, browse Al Quran pages, listen to recitations, read tafasir and translations. available for both online and offline usage : http://quran.ksu.edu.sa

Thalassocracy

سبحان اللهِ وبحمدِه Free Palestine
Bro look up this book called, Noorani Qaida
There’s also Somali versions , after hire a Somali tutor for $25-50 dollars a hour a day

Noorani Qaida is made by Subcontinent Muslims and has a lot of tutorials on YouTube that can give you a foundation that possibly when you go to a teacher you might not need as much support

Last edited:
Bro look up this book called, Noorani Qaida
There’s also Somali versions , after hire a Somali tutor for $25-50 dollars a hour a day

Noorani Qaida is made by Subcontinent Muslims and has a lot of tutorials on YouTube that can give you a foundation that possibly when you go to a teacher you might not need as much support
That book is the first youtube link i gave him ,it's excellent book. Its called al qaida al nooraniya . Combine that with another beginner arabic book lot if things will make sense.

Last edited:

Yaraye

VIP
@EyiPunter, Everything that I will be informing you down below, was the way I learned the quran when I was young.

Just like in english you must build your foundation. When we are young in school we learn the english letters, sounds, how to read small wards, onto bigger words, onto sentences, onto paragraphs. Along the way we also learn how to spell too, and before we know it we know the english language fluently, right? Therefore arabic should take the same route. You should build your foundation before leaning/memorizing the quran.

When I use the word "learn" down below, I mean :
- how to read it
- how to write it from memory

How to build your foundation:
1- learn the arabic alphabets
2- learn the sound of each alphabet
3- learn the different shaqals and how to write each shaqal. Shaqal is the sign on each arabic letter that directs a person on how to pronounce that letter. (The different shaqals:
Fatxa, kasra, damma, sukoon, fatxataayn, Kasrataayn, Dammataayn, shaddah)
Fatha damma kasra - Movement / Diacritical marks - Section 2 Lesson 1 -  huroof al mutaharrika - YouTube
Tanween - Movement / Diacritical marks - Section 2 Lesson 2 - huroof al  munawannah - YouTube
Fatha Kasra Damma Cheapest Buy | www.formasup.fr
What Is Tanween In Arabic: Fatha, Kasra And Dhamma Examples
Key 2 — Fawakih

This link is a playlist that explains the basic dictations in the quran. Basic dictation/shaqal is important. Without it, you got no direction. A person don't know how to read without shaqal.

4- learn to read/ write each letter with each shaqal
5- start practicing reading/ writing using 2-3 letter words with shaqal
6- progress to bigger words (5-6 letters w/ shaqal)
7- progress to 1-2 sentence
8- progress to 4 sentences
9- progress to a paragraph
- Test yourself by able to read a any paragraph from the quran by using what you have learned (how each letter and shaqal sounds together)
- Have some on test you for writing. Have them say a word to you and you should be able to write it from memory using what you've learned above

After establishing your foundation, start quran. Start with sura Al-fatiha and from the back of the quran. The last juz of the quran has shorter surahs and verses, which will help start off your journey.

When learning the quran memorize one verse at a time. To memorize a verse:
1- Listen to the verse a couple of times. This site below is amazing and I grew up using it when I was learning the quran. For the sheikh, I recommend Khalil-Husari. He reads slowly and articulates each letter and word of the verse. He is the ultimate teacher for basic learning.

2- After you listen, start slowing reading the verse. This part is crucial. Make sure to keep your eye peeled on the verse. Memorize the verse correctly. It is harder to reverse something you memorized incorrectly than it is to memorize something new.

3- Read the verse at least 10 times with your eyes glued to the verse. Even if you think you memorized the verse unse 10 times. Finish the 10 times anyway.
4- Close the kitaab and state the verse from memory.
5- When you think you got it down. Have someone listen to you. You recite the verse you memorized from memory while the person listening to you should have the kitaab open to see whether you have made mistakes.

6- once you complete memorizing 1 verse, repeat the same for another verse until you complete the surah.
7- Once you completed a surah, you will pass the entire surah from memory all together before continuing on to the next surah. Somalis call this iskuxirad (meaning closing). You go back and revise the surah you learned, and pass it all together at one time to a teacher. This makes sure that you have retained all the you learned during this surah. When the surahs get longer, you'll do this for each page/ several pages and then pass the entire surah together.

8- As you progress through the quran, you'll complete a juz (~20pgs). Before you start the next juz. what will you do? ...... You guessed it! Go revize the juz you completed and recite it all from memory it to a teacher before you start the next juz (the next ~20pgs).

9- Once you've complete several juz from the quran, You will spend 5-6 days a week continuing learning new quran/ juz using step 1-8. However you will take 1-2 days of the week to revise the several juz you have completed in the quran. This will make sure you stick it to memory.

You will slowly complete the quran using steps 1-9. Try to memorize at least 1/2 pg each day when starting out, and 1-2 pg each day as it gets easier for you. This is the way I learned the quran, and it took me a long time. This journey will take years, but slow and steady wins the race! Good Luck! May Allah make it easy for you. I believe with dedication you will succeed insallah.
You Got This Go Get Em GIF
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

Last edited:

Trending