Narcissism in somali community?

Not at all I’m fine with being disproven and I don’t think Somalis are bad. What’s wrong with discussing both the positive and negative aspects of our culture?
Nothing at all it's just many people tend to do it with a self righteousness about them as an attack on somalis while being totally ignorant and naive about how things really are while also not willing to actually learn. They just come in to lecture.

Somalis as a group are indeed narcissistic. It it what it is. Example, a YouTuber who had only 1k can get up to 100K by simply talking about Somalis. In fact, I want to create a faceless YouTube account in which I talk about Somalis. I’m certain I’ll get at least 50K. It’s a great strategy if someone wants to exploit the self-obsession and narcissism of our community.

Somalis as a group are indeed narcissistic. It it what it is. Example, a YouTuber who had only 1k can get up to 100K by simply talking about Somalis. In fact, I want to create a faceless YouTube account in which I talk about Somalis. I’m certain I’ll get at least 50K.
Isn't that the hive mentality ? I see it with other groups too like Philippinos and Indians. I geuse it's because those ethnic-groups lack individualism, for example if someone mentions France you wouldn't see thousand of French people happily celebrating for getting "noticed" by some random foreign influencer.

Isn't that the hive mentality ? I see it with other groups too like Philippinos and Indians. I geuse it's because those ethnic-groups lack individualism, for example if someone mentions France you wouldn't see thousand of French people happily celebrating for getting "noticed" by some random foreign influencer.
I’ve not noticed that with Indians and Pakistanis tbh. People mention them all the time. They’re a lot more famous than us as a group and have had thousands of shows, documentaries and the like set in their lands.

Let us draw three further distinctions:
a) Diaspora vs natives back home
Let us split the Diaspora into two:
  • Online squatters vs average person
b) Male vs female

Let us further split this group into two:
c) English speaking vs non-English speakers
  • In North America & UK vs Rest of the diaspora (Mainland Europe, Africa, Asia, MidEast)
*** Would you consider age relevant? Are the <= 30 be more prone to narcissism than the => 31?

@laylaz @malab @Gojo Satoru @Angelina
Now, with that in mind, let me ask: which subset of the aforesaid group(s) would you consider the most narcissistic? Or does it transcend groups, and age?

We were more going by the clinical aspect of it, as outlined by Mayo clinic, an institution of what one might call an authority on the subject.

Who is the author? Could you provide a synopses of the author's thesis?
The mayo clinic definition is a basic, lame definition that isn’t helpful lol.
The last psychiatrist is a gen x forensic psychiatrist who blogged about narcissism. I genuinely cannot give his writing justice. Just read his blog. It is so good.

According to WebMD, consistent behavior patterns in
psychopath include:
  • Lack of empathy for others
  • Impulsive behavior
  • Attempting to control others with threats or aggression
  • Using intelligence, charm, or charisma to manipulate others
  • Not learning from mistakes or punishment
  • Lying for personal gain
  • Showing a tendency to physical violence and fights
  • Generally superficial relationships
  • Sometimes, stealing or committing other crimes
  • Threatening suicide to manipulate without intention to act
  • Sometimes, abusing drugs or alcohol
  • Trouble with responsibilities such as a job, paying bills, etc.

I have never seen a somali parent admit fault.
See, nomads express devotion, and remorse in poetry, but not in trivial slight, and to be on its receiving end, one must trully deserve it, but then again, expecting a nomad to expose deeply seated emotion in the company of their haunted, bedevilled, thought-deprived, self-entitled, self-obsessed progeny is distasteful, if repugnant, in the nomadic sense.

Express sorrow in tears, they do. Display love in deed, they do. Afford care '7ub wa 7annan' in buckets, they do. Fess to a fault in deed, they try. But then again, their dim clones would have you think otherwise.

In asking, and agreeing in unison, they could not possibly be as tossed as an elephant's trunk, could they? Oh, but they are, and are steamed out of their scarred skulls in a state of an unending stupor!

Bumping this thread because, I have been thinking about this a bit, and I am gonna link to the blog that I previously linked a couple pages back. The blogpost is about an honor killing and the author breaks down that the murder was not because of honor but narcissism.

Heres the link: https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/02/another_honor_killing_that_isn.html

Obviously, honor killings are not happening in the somali community, but the author does touch up on certain character traits that I noticed in somali parents (and boomers in general, even gaal ones).

This part in particular stuck out to me:

"Rageful narcissists are the most violent not when they are insulted or attacked or hated but when they are abandoned to objective reality, the one that doesn't comply with their mirroring demands. Such a person invariably is backed by an enslaved God, which means all things are possible"

I noticed, lots of Somali parents rage towards their children comes from acting out of line. Whatever what "out of line" even means depends on the parent, and their mood. For some its moving out, for others its literal spilled milk.

In a somali household, the parents are the main characters, its their movie, and children are the supporting cast. Children are not individuals with free will and thoughts, they are an extension of the parents identities and they must play their part, say the approved lines, or else.

I think lots of somalis are raised understanding that the severity of the mistake doesn't matter but rather what it appears to be. In other words, they would value appearance over substance. This leads to not feeling guilt (an internal sense of right and wrong) but shame (ceeb culture).

I think this environment raises someone who will protect their identity at all costs.

I hope I make sense lol. I am trying to piece this stuff together myself.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread because, I have been thinking about this a bit, and I am gonna link to the blog that I previously linked a couple pages back. The blogpost is about an honor killing and the author breaks down that the murder was not because of honor but narcissism.

Heres the link: https://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2012/02/another_honor_killing_that_isn.html

Obviously, honor killings are not happening in the somali community, but the author does touch up on certain character traits that I noticed in somali parents (and boomers in general, even gaal ones).

This part in particular stuck out to me:

"Rageful narcissists are the most violent not when they are insulted or attacked or hated but when they are abandoned to objective reality, the one that doesn't comply with their mirroring demands. Such a person invariably is backed by an enslaved God, which means all things are possible"

I noticed, lots of Somali parents rage towards their children comes from acting out of line. Whatever what "out of line" even means depends on the parent, and their mood. For some its moving out, for others its literal spilled milk.

In a somali household, the parents are the main characters, its their movie, and children are the supporting cast. Children are not individuals with free will and thoughts, they are an extension of the parents identities and they must play their part, say the approved lines, or else.

I think lots of somalis are raised understanding that the severity of the mistake doesn't matter but rather what it appears to be. In other words, they would value appearance over substance. This leads to not feeling guilt (an internal sense of right and wrong) but shame (ceeb culture).

I think this environment raises someone who will protect their identity at all costs.

I hope I make sense lol. I am trying to piece this stuff together myself.
This is what I've been thinking worded so perfectly! Somali parents are the main characters and definitely do see their kids as an extension of themselves. Thanks for sharing that blog post and your thoughts it really helped me make more sense of what I was trying to say.

Trending

Latest posts