My take on the concept of marriage

:comeon: It was a dream.

Yes; marriage is linked with socioeconomic mobility. While being a single parent is associated with poverty. Marriage does give one certain financial incentives and legal benefits. And favours the mental and physical well-being of mostly men.

Interestingly older adults (50 +) that are cohabitating are often of higher SES.

Also, never married and child-free women are better off and generally of higher SES relative to their single with child(ren) counterparts.

I suppose the only cost to marriage comes from social connectedness. The singletons are more connected and more willing to offer assistance to family, friends, neighbours during times of need and contribute more to their communities in this providing informal and social support.

If given a choice its better to either be in a healthy marriage or remain single and never married without kids.
"I suppose the only cost to marriage comes from social connectedness. The singletons are more connected and more willing to offer assistance to family, friends, neighbours during times of need and contribute more to their communities in this providing informal and social support."

I don't know if this is true.^

"If given a choice its better to either be in a healthy marriage or remain single and never married without kids."

You can't predict a lot of what happens in a marriage, things happen, and you'll have to make decisions based on the different factors in that situation, and try to reach an optimal solution. It's not black and white when you deal with humans. Lol

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
"I suppose the only cost to marriage comes from social connectedness. The singletons are more connected and more willing to offer assistance to family, friends, neighbours during times of need and contribute more to their communities in this providing informal and social support."

I don't know if this is true.^

• In a couple of the American Studies, I’ve looked at single people are more likely to help friends and colleagues (with providing transportation and running errands) and are more likely to offer advice and support.
• With aging parents, they are more likely to receive help from their single children than those that are married. When it comes to helping with illness and disability single people are more likely to provide assistance. Moreover, the societal stereotype of singles being parsimonious and married people being more generous just doesn’t hold up to scrutiny.

• You can take this with a grain of salt since Somalis have divergent beliefs, values, and customs than the groups under study. Women are more likely to provide informal caregiving be they married or unattached. And it’s not like we could access data on this group in terms of their provision of support beyond anecdotal accounts.
• What I do know is that even for Somalis the nature of the family is changing thanks to social networks, the internet revolution, and the mobile revolution. People within a family are involved in separate online activities that are tailored to their preferences (from the sites they frequent to the shows they watch and in communicating with own friends). Today people have their own phones (rather than a family phone) and individual cars. Couples today are also less likely to work on projects together around their homes, visit friends or eat together than they were in the1980s.
• I think Norman Augustine (sociologist) said that "for every scientific or engineering action there is an equal or opposite social reaction". One can only imagine what life will look like when ICTs are more fully operational. Imagine your appliances communicating with each other and your consumer items replenishing themselves. And your house spying on your visitors or husband and then storing this data somewhere you can access. It might seem like Minority Report to some but *Metaverse Heaven * to others.

"If given a choice it's better to either be in a healthy marriage or remain single and never married without kids."

You can't predict a lot of what happens in a marriage, things happen, and you'll have to make decisions based on the different factors in that situation, and try to reach an optimal solution. It's not black and white when you deal with humans. Lol

Humans are confusing. There are a lot of decisions they make based on incomplete information and they can arrive at faulty conclusions clouded by their worldview/ life experience. When you have two parties sharing a communal space conflict is sure to arise at some point. Sometimes misunderstandings accumulate/snowball. I suppose it's about compromising, trying one's best to see the other person's POV (while temporarily suspending one's own) and some facility in managing one's emotions (easier said than done) but it can be taught. I suppose the most pragmatic decision should be chosen when one is faced with a particular obstacle.

And you're right to the extent that most individuals are not so great at predicting how they would act when faced with adverse situations/circumstances.

I get that it's not all black and white.

I have always struggled with the concept of marriage and the meaning behind it whether is through the lenses of secular or religious angle.

The concept is marriage is mostly glorified by the poor and the middle class in most cases.. the upper class (my class) and the well off don’t actually see the concept of marriage that much of an important issue, But for the poor and the middle class marriage is a way of finding love , children and sexual pleasure.

The upper class or a well off person doesn’t not have to marry to find love, sexual pleasure and even get children as the options are way too many outside marriage for example well off guy can get any woman without even marriage involved. Marriage from religious angle promotes leeching culture that makes the women lazy and depend on men.
Interesting perspective. Although I dont know why you think marriage is glorified by the poor/middle class. The idea of marriage is for 2 people to come together to live in peace and happiness with one another. To grow and learn from the other. Marriage isn't categorized by a CERTAIN type of life style. The old, young, rich, and poor could all decide in and believe in marriage.

Interesting perspective. Although I dont know why you think marriage is glorified by the poor/middle class. The idea of marriage is for 2 people to come together to live in peace and happiness with one another. To grow and learn from the other. Marriage isn't categorized by a CERTAIN type of life style. The old, young, rich, and poor could all decide in and believe in marriage.
Two people can live together in happiness without necessarily being married and an evidence to this is in the Scandinavian countries where over 60% of the couples are not married and live with one another.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Two people can live together in happiness without necessarily being married and an evidence to this is in the Scandinavian countries where over 60% of the couples are not married and live with one another.
Marriage is for the well being of society and foundation of humans. The reason why Dajjalists hate marriage is that marriage is pillar of which Islam is passed through. Through marriage, children inherit Islam, lineage, kinship, language etr. These things are an abomination in the New World Order.

They want us to be a cesspool like Brazil and Latin America as a whole. Without Marriage, Islam will cease to exist

Trending