My revert friend had me ROFL

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I walked into her standing on the prayer mat. Her phone was infront of her playing a youtube video of a guy praying.

She was actively watching and following his actions. Apparently, that is how she is praying the past two weeks:cryinglaughsmiley:

Anyway, when I first heard she took her shahada, I wanted to help her with all the muslim related stuff.
But I held myself because I don't liked imposing on others. I tend to give people too much space though, it can come off I am uncaring.

Did anyone ever have a revert friend? How often did you met them? Any suggestions on how I should help her :icon lol:

Give her the following advises:

1. Tell her to not change her personality because of religion. She should try to follow Islam as good as she can, but she should not become a robot without a personality.

2. She should learn the religion step by step and take it easy. If she wants to practice to much at the beginning, she will be overpowered by the religion.

3. She should listen to western/moderate Islamic preachers who she can identify with, to gain knowledge step by step. The Seerah series of Yasir Qadhi, The wisdoms of Numan Ali Khan and the reminders of Mufti Menk. There are many other good preachers maybe others here can help out.

4. She should follow the Madhab of her surroundings for Fiq questions. If she lives in a majority Somali environment, tell her to follow the Shaafici Madhab. If she lives with Turks, she should follow the Madhab of the Turks, the Hanafi Madhab. As soon as she choses one, she should stick to it, since all 4 Madhahib are good and give her good guide lines. This will protect her from many confusions.

5. Tell her to avoid any kind of useless debates about Islamic teachings and Muslim politics, because there is no benefit in it.

6. She should take good friends (like you maybe) and try to learn from them. She should never isolate herself from her social circle.

7. She should respect, love and treat her family with kindness, especially her parents, even though they are not Muslims. The best Dawah is through being a good role model and having good and kind behaviour towards people .

8. She should not just focus on the Deen, but also the Dunya. She should have big aspirations (for example in her studies or Job).

9. She shoud ignore the comments others make about her life decisions (reverting to Islam). What other people think about her doesn't matter, only Allah matters.

Terrible friend. What’s with this white woman nonsense I don’t want to impose. You should be the first to offer help and connect her to people who can help. This is a very delicate time in reverts life and without help they can easily get disencouraged

ThreeTwentyOne

It's too damn HOT!
I still find it very interesting and cool to see people converting to Islam despite all of the negative rep it gets from the western media.

Shes trying, I'll give her that :ftw9nwa:

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Give her the following advises:

1. Tell her to not change her personality because of religion. She should try to follow Islam as good as she can, but she should not become a robot without a personality.

2. She should learn the religion step by step and take it easy. If she wants to practice to much at the beginning, she will be overpowered by the religion.

3. She should listen to western/moderate Islamic preachers who she can identify with, to gain knowledge step by step. The Seerah series of Yasir Qadhi, The wisdoms of Numan Ali Khan and the reminders of Mufti Menk. There are many other good preachers maybe others here can help out.

4. She should follow the Madhab of her surroundings for Fiq questions. If she lives in a majority Somali environment, tell her to follow the Shaafici Madhab. If she lives with Turks, she should follow the Madhab of the Turks, the Hanafi Madhab. As soon as she choses one, she should stick to it, since all 4 Madhahib are good and give her good guide lines. This will protect her from many confusions.

5. Tell her to avoid any kind of useless debates about Islamic teachings and Muslim politics, because there is no benefit in it.

6. She should take good friends (like you maybe) and try to learn from them. She should never isolate herself from her social circle.

7. She should respect, love and treat her family with kindness, especially her parents, even though they are not Muslims. The best Dawah is through being a good role model and having good and kind behaviour towards people .

8. She should not just focus on the Deen, but also the Dunya. She should have big aspirations (for example in her studies or Job).

9. She shoud ignore the comments others make about her life decisions (reverting to Islam). What other people think about her doesn't matter, only Allah matters.

Jazakallah kheyr walaal. I'll be sure to pass down this message :)

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I still find it very interesting and cool to see people converting to Islam despite all of the negative rep it gets from the western media.

Shes trying, I'll give her that :ftw9nwa:

I am impressed by her tbh.

Sometimes, I do think we are a reality tv show for the angels. They must be entertained by our innocence and confusion in finding God:stressed:

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Terrible friend. What’s with this white woman nonsense I don’t want to impose. You should be the first to offer help and connect her to people who can help. This is a very delicate time in reverts life and without help they can easily get disencouraged

Don't be so quick to call me a terrible friend.

Would you prefer if I shove a bunch of rules and scare her away?

I'd rather she takes her time understanding and interalizing the wisdom behind why we do what we do than be another zombie who follows blindly.

I have a friend who did this when she first converted too :icon lol: I thought it was cute. She would also keep written notes next to her when she prayed.

I think just let her take her time and be there for her when needed.

Don't be so quick to call me a terrible friend.

Would you prefer if I shove a bunch of rules and scare her away?

I'd rather she takes her time understanding and interalizing the wisdom behind why we do what we do than be another zombie who follows blindly.

you can’t understand if you don’t get information. This is about everything in life. If you don’t get anything of something we quickly lose interest. I get overwhelming someone with info and that’s bad. But you took the opposite way of leaving her all on her own.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
you can’t understand if you don’t get information. This is about everything in life. If you don’t get anything of something we quickly lose interest. I get overwhelming someone with info and that’s bad. But you took the opposite way of leaving her all on her own.

I gave her some english islamic books I had and told her to call me anytime she needs my help.

Ngl, she caught me off guard with the fact that she started praying already. That is why I am asking for advice on how to keep up with her pace without being overbearing or neglectful.

I walked into her standing on the prayer mat. Her phone was infront of her playing a youtube video of a guy praying.

She was actively watching and following his actions. Apparently, that is how she is praying the past two weeks:cryinglaughsmiley:

Anyway, when I first heard she took her shahada, I wanted to help her with all the muslim related stuff.
But I held myself because I don't liked imposing on others. I tend to give people too much space though, it can come off I am uncaring.

Did anyone ever have a revert friend? How often did you met them? Any suggestions on how I should help her :icon lol:
Dont overload her. Baby steps and warn her about the haram police so it doesnt scare away from the religion.
Sad to say i try to stay away from religious topics to my non muslims friends unless they bring it up because they think you're trying to convert to or something.

I gave her some english islamic books I had and told her to call me anytime she needs my help.

Ngl, she caught me off guard with the fact that she started praying already. That is why I am asking for advice on how to keep up with her pace without being overbearing or neglectful.

tell her to take it step by step, never be ashamed to ask even the most basic things and don’t let people’s pressure you. I have so much admiration for reverts and their journey. Being born in Islam we take it for granted

Trending