My depression story: Had it for 5 years.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
She talks about how Somalis are not supportive.
How they basically make excuses and dismiss a person's depression.
She was afraid to share her story with Somalis.
Thinks Somali parents are savages and uncaring.
She wanted to kill herself everyday.
She had to put on a fake smile

Her white husband should go with her to therapy.

I hope things get better for her. Yeah I think some Somali people dismiss depression. Because they’ll say what do have to be depressed about. Like you live in a developed country etc etc.

But the more awareness is spread and discussion the better. I see it similar to physical health you figure out the issue and ways to cope. Nothing to be ashamed of.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@Reiko Somali second generation in the west are more open about this as a serious issue, no need to follow white people, infact Somali rates of recovery INSIDE SOMALIA are far more optimistic then the western standard. Trust me I have 5 years experience in the western medical approach and it's an abysmal failure or else why I am unwell for so long when someone in Somalia Recovers in shorter duration and leads a productive life.

The western world itself is sick of it's approach and using 'eastern techniques' like 'yoga' or ancient chinese medicines and even 'native indian' therapy. The grass might be greener for you towards the west but you haven't been in the system to know, we view the grass greener ELSEWHERE, especially in traditional METHODS such as spirituality, religion, and eastern meditation.

They don't get 'better' in the west, they MAINTAIN it only, they are 'never cured' 100% and live on the pill for the rest of their lives. Even western doctors tell you, they don't have a cure, they only have a management approach. It's like a head-ache, they can't cure it so it never returns, but they can 'maintain' it with a panadol to relieve you only, but that isn't a cure, it will come back your headache lol.

The competition in the medicine field is 'total cures' where it doesn't come back and they review results around the world how other people and cultures deal with it and who-ever has the highest 'recovery' rates meaning no MAINTAINNCE needed is the model they copy or at least incoporate.

Last edited:
I hope things get better for her. Yeah I think some Somali people dismiss depression. Because they’ll say what do have to be depressed about. Like you live in a developed country etc etc.

But the more awareness is spread and discussion the better. I see it similar to physical health you figure out the issue and ways to cope. Nothing to be ashamed of.

True, but a lot of older generation in many communities have that thinking.....toughen up and get on with it. People are learning more and more about it which is a good thing. Its such a horrible thing to go through

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
cryinglaughsmiley.jpg
cryinglaughsmiley.jpg
Somalis acknowledge depression? If they did, they will all be locked in a mental hospital because they will have to face WHO they are.

cryinglaughsmiley.jpg
cryinglaughsmiley.jpg
cryinglaughsmiley.jpg
cryinglaughsmiley.jpg

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Loool i would say insanity is far more common with somalis than depression.

Yep insanity is very common in Somalia and has been around for a long time, that's why it's found it's way in our language 'waali' and even our daily speech 'wax waalan yahow'. They know what it is since they must of seen it early way before Europeans arrived.

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Yep insanity is very common in Somalia and has been around for a long time, that's why it's found it's way in our language 'waali' and even our daily speech 'wax waalan yahow'. They know what it is since they must of seen it early way before Europeans arrived.

Not to mention the Somali Maah Maah

If someone is going to get mad, the madness starts on Thursday before going full blown crazy on Friday!
cryinglaughsmiley.jpg

Basra

Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
Loool i would say insanity is far more common with somalis than depression.

Yes they are insane, but they have the Denial Will in plenty which is power house and good for their survival

True, but a lot of older generation in many communities have that thinking.....toughen up and get on with it. People are learning more and more about it which is a good thing. Its such a horrible thing to go through
Exactly same. The older people in my community are similar. Although some are becoming open-minded. I was shook one time my grandma was like all this clan rivalry is stupid. You could marry anyone from any we are all Somali. Though my grandma never hated anyone just kept up with the times there.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Western world when someone talks 'jibberish or something that is wild and unexpected'. They call it 'delusions of grandeur' and in Somali it's WUU ISLA BUUQAY. A confused person lol. We accept that we have different 'tastes' in food but no1 says oh 'u wild' for not conforming to the taste of all the people. Why do insane ppl need to conform to our 'thinking' or 'world around us'? it's bothered me this.

An Insane person by definition is someone who has stepped out of the consensus of his community or society which is deemed REALITY. Reality is just a consensus of people nothing more. If we all agreed today 'dogs fly' that is reality now.

Last edited:

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Depression most of the time because of your xaram lifestyle. Only in rare cases does a sincere muslim suffer depression as a test from Allah swt

VixR

Veritas
@Reiko Somali second generation in the west are more open about this as a serious issue, no need to follow white people, infact Somali rates of recovery INSIDE SOMALIA are far more optimistic then the western standard. Trust me I have 5 years experience in the western medical approach and it's an abysmal failure or else why I am unwell for so long when someone in Somalia Recovers in shorter duration and leads a productive life.

The western world itself is sick of it's approach and using 'eastern techniques' like 'yoga' or ancient chinese medicines and even 'native indian' therapy. The grass might be greener for you towards the west but you haven't been in the system to know, we view the grass greener ELSEWHERE, especially in traditional METHODS such as spirituality, religion, and eastern meditation.

They don't get 'better' in the west, they MAINTAIN it only, they are 'never cured' 100% and live on the pill for the rest of their lives. Even western doctors tell you, they don't have a cure, they only have a management approach. It's like a head-ache, they can't cure it so it never returns, but they can 'maintain' it with a panadol to relieve you only, but that isn't a cure, it will come back your headache lol.

The competition in the medicine field is 'total cures' where it doesn't come back and they review results around the world how other people and cultures deal with it and who-ever has the highest 'recovery' rates meaning no MAINTAINNCE needed is the model they copy or at least incoporate.
Fam, don’t be mislead. Ancient Chinese medicines, Yoga, and native Indian therapies have nothing to offer in terms of mental health. We don’t know enough to cure mental conditions. The best one can do is eliminate the noise in their life, follow routine, and take medications that stave off most of the characteristics/symptoms of their condition. Don’t abandon your Dx’s protocol for homeopathy. It’s fake and dangerous. I hope you find something that works.

Trending

Latest posts