My days of leniency towards Somalia are over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zayd

Habar Magaadle
In these shaky times, none of us know for certain where Somaliland or Somalia will be in coming decades.
When I first began learning of somali siyaasad, I was extremely pro-Somaliland and pro-recognition, I was a young lad of 16 years of age, now I'm 22, and a lot has changed. Namely, I saw no benefit of being recognised as I saw it to be a path that ends with Somaliland becoming a vassal nation, which is something I dreaded. So then I began to enjoy the entertaining idea of re-unification with Somalia, because after all, a Great Somali nation would really put 'us' in the map right?

But then in short of recent events, with the Arabs chiming into our stretch of land in the horn, and with Somalia taking one side and the jokers in Hargeisa taking another, I began to re-position my political stances due to the gravity of the situation.

I see pro's & con's in being recognised, but I see a hot mess if we were to unite with a nation that is busy building hotels and restaurants while Al Shabab still lurks in their alleyways, The flag of Somalia, is one that is stained with war and civil strife, the supporters of this flag, especially those well aquainted with the history and politics of it, are diagnosed with blind-patriosm and have no recourse except that they 'bac-bac' their booty's and scream " Somalia ha noolato"...

Somalia ha noolato? Muxuu nooladi sowku goor hore dhintay, gumaysi oo ka sii daran gumaysigi taaliyaaniga baad ku jirtaan.

In contrast to this, the Somaliland flag represents rebirth, education, stable societies and peace. If I ever again entertain unity with Somalia, it will be under the conditions that flag of Somaliland and it's slogan "Samo ku waar" would be hoisted above Mogadishu.

image-2593.jpeg

2 points. The black star is supposed to represent the death of Somaliweyne. Also, those 3 colors are pan-Arab, a group you just dissed. :donkey:

If we were to change our flag, I believe @Prince of Hobyo's version is the best.

eab98e3a-7e7d-49e8-ad53-e9ae1c559b18-1240-000002308394fbac-png.19292

:banderas: Is there anything more beautiful?

Last edited:
That might be something I would consider but there's some problems I see with this.
  1. Those are ban arab colors(as a user already pointed out), having arab colors represent us is embarrassing and makes us seems arab like wannabes.
  2. The lander flag is not unique. Almost 10 countries have the same exact color of Somaliland's flag. We'll just be a random flag in the crowd. If your flag was unique than yes, but look at all the countries that have the same exact colors
Italy
upload_2017-6-17_7-26-29.png

Kuwait
upload_2017-6-17_7-26-40.png

Palestine
upload_2017-6-17_7-27-40.png

Jordan
upload_2017-6-17_7-28-25.png

Sudan
upload_2017-6-17_7-29-14.png

Iraq
upload_2017-6-17_7-31-2.png

+ like 10 others
  1. There is not one flag like Somalia's, not one.
  2. Somalia's flag represents something important. Somalia's flag represents the unity of all Somalis from the five Somali lands under one flag. What does Somaliland's flag represent?

1. But if you insist, Lets come up with a flag together because copying the same exact colors of like 10 other countries is pathetic, lets make something unique that represents us all.

Yeah that's the inspiration. If you know how flag designs and creativity in general works, you'd know how stupid your "point" would seem.

But instead of a rising sun we have the shining star :banderas:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Wasn't even trying to make the "point" you're alluding to. I just found Japanese fanaticism that's associated with that flag funny.

But if we're going to play the look alike flag game, there's an exact carbon copy of Somalia's that was flown by the confederates.

Somalias flag represents all Somalis and SL's flag represents some Somalis, if we were to ever change the flag (which I'm not in favour of) it should be a brand new pan-Somali flag.

Wasn't even trying to make the "point" you're alluding to. I just found Japanese fanaticism that's associated with that flag funny.

But if we're going to play the look alike flag game, there's an exact carbon copy of Somalia's that was flown by the confederates.

They're two different flags with two different histories and meanings. It's just a coincidence that they look alike.

It's akin to you saying if one Nigerian and one Somali looks alike then they're the same people and ethnicity, with the same genetics and same history.

Saying it was stolen shows you have no understanding past what you see on the surface. If you go ask people who have an actual understanding of flags and everything they entail, then you'll finally learn.

870B67A9-4671-4A57-A5F0-DE44BCF7E5E6-1771-000001A9FC6581EF.png

^A vexillologist (flag historian/professor) discussing the flags he perceives to be the best ones there is.

Last edited:
Interesting can you link the video :dwill:

The guy uses city flags to emphasize what makes and breaks a flag, and differentiate a good one from a bad one.

He shows some international flags, Somalia's one incl. at around 7:40, but he doesn't go in depth about them.

I recommend watching the whole video, or up to 8:00 minutes.

They're two different flags with two different histories and meanings. It's just a coincidence that they look alike.

It's akin to you saying if one Nigerian and one Somali looks alike then they're the same people and ethnicity, with the same genetics and same history.

Saying it was stolen shows you have no understanding past what you see on the surface. If you go ask people who have an actual understanding of flags and everything they entail, then you'll finally learn.

View attachment 21272
^A vexillologist (flag historian/professor) discussing the flags he perceives to be the best ones there is.
Meaning? No one cares for meaning, they're the exact same flag. Don't deny it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending