GENETICS My 23andme dna results

Why do you get T? Do you have any theory?

It's so odd to be getting T, especially the branch which is common among Dir.

I think you are of the Reer Majjuun subclan of Madaluug Dir who were assimilated by RX
If OP is this T-Y223124 bakool sample, he shares a common ancestor with the Dir-Isaaq subclade, T-BY181210, at T-L208 (8500 years ago). The bakool RX guy shares a subclade with Beni-Amers ( Beja and Habesha mixed people) in western Eritrea and eastern Sudan suggesting it's an old Cushite lineage. Proto-Somalis had more lineages than just E-Y18629 and T-BY181210.

Mine doesn't show lol
23andme tells you what region your Ethiopian/Eritrean ancestry comes from
View attachment 248793
This is what mine looks like
Screenshot_20230114-060914_23andMe.jpg

hHwUwfgfLxtMk0l2ypvD_J-mooChT8PgfWOLZSTLY_4oGw1P7ZyHriIk4KkpSQvWQC_T6kUePHYqf1KqhIHwi6JXs_3ncIAgnqoZp4-djTvllqpBhr9gTfT4UwzyYVUGNUq_eMYU3p5VLU7UMv0d7gow-T30NzDxSnDt9GFuoBD3oBAatCbsnLfXH0VEPw

byqoOsBo3VJLduILGZrKVVq5phu1E2blaM53bbSeRbeR6zq-YU5Zm26n7393lMX69G0YV-0aRSDX4QEdxfgeVT18QZ6knIFqianyGcAIasXVQObVXYlosX8mHsXzwV1p4ttqdvHiJ-J8IhuhKmf11Xy7GZ4UI3IZz8jWt-o8diB3c7WDZv09Mm95X_lg7Q

Look at the time formed and TMRCA. This T might have come down with the E-V32. I remember seeing that T-Y223124* not long ago and thought of this, surprising it was a brother from this site.

The pre-Tigre Beja mixing likely had proto-Somali that stayed behind and created confederate among the Bedawiya while we migrated to the Somali lands. This in a way further cements the model of us migrating from Sudan post-3500 years ago. Strictly speaking about Y-lineage that was successful like today. Somaliwayne Y-DNA landscape diversity might have been more diverse, and had a founder effect, then contracted through a bottleneck or something like that that made the other lineages go extinct. So in a way, our autosomal (and likely some mtDNA) ancestry descends from whatever people existed in our lands if there were people there at all.

I believe the Eastern Cushitic languages were in the Nile Valley/Eastern Desert. It’s highly likely that we came with proto-Somali from Sudan, and those East Cushitic languages went extinct later. We know that there were several groups in the area in the ancient past that was difficult to associate with a specific group. I read that Nubian had loanwords with Highland East Cushitic, not Beja or Agaw:

1673636608088.png

@Alhadame I believe you carry a lineage that came with the E-V32 people, as Somali as the rest and not a recent from Tigre. It's awesome.

@Shimbiris , @Slickster , @Garaad diinle , @Reformed J @Som , @Moholin01 , @Vito Rizutto , @Thalassocracy , @Jammy , @BetterDaysAhead

What do you guys think?

If OP is this T-Y223124 bakool sample, he shares a common ancestor with the Dir-Isaaq subclade, T-BY181210, at T-L208 (8500 years ago). The bakool RX guy shares a subclade with Beni-Amers ( Beja and Habesha mixed people) in western Eritrea and eastern Sudan suggesting it's an old Cushite lineage. Proto-Somalis had more lineages than just E-Y18629 and T-BY181210.

OP is not the sample on YFull. That guy is Luwaay which is also Sagaal clan quite closely related to Hadame. It is very likely that if he were to take a more detailed haplogroup test he will fall under a related subclade to the Luwaay guy on YFull

I think it’s important to reiterate that while we only have one sample, the T-L208 subclade of the Sagaal Reewin is very distantly related to the Dir/Isaaq one. 8500 yrs like you said. This probably means that they’re not from the same founding stock suggesting different migratory patterns perhaps.

Garaad diinle

 
hHwUwfgfLxtMk0l2ypvD_J-mooChT8PgfWOLZSTLY_4oGw1P7ZyHriIk4KkpSQvWQC_T6kUePHYqf1KqhIHwi6JXs_3ncIAgnqoZp4-djTvllqpBhr9gTfT4UwzyYVUGNUq_eMYU3p5VLU7UMv0d7gow-T30NzDxSnDt9GFuoBD3oBAatCbsnLfXH0VEPw

byqoOsBo3VJLduILGZrKVVq5phu1E2blaM53bbSeRbeR6zq-YU5Zm26n7393lMX69G0YV-0aRSDX4QEdxfgeVT18QZ6knIFqianyGcAIasXVQObVXYlosX8mHsXzwV1p4ttqdvHiJ-J8IhuhKmf11Xy7GZ4UI3IZz8jWt-o8diB3c7WDZv09Mm95X_lg7Q

Look at the time formed and TMRCA. This T might have come down with the E-V32. I remember seeing that T-Y223124* not long ago and thought of this, surprising it was a brother from this site.

The pre-Tigre Beja mixing likely had proto-Somali that stayed behind and created confederate among the Bedawiya while we migrated to the Somali lands. This in a way further cements the model of us migrating from Sudan post-3500 years ago. Strictly speaking about Y-lineage that was successful like today. Somaliwayne Y-DNA landscape diversity might have been more diverse, and had a founder effect, then contracted through a bottleneck or something like that that made the other lineages go extinct. So in a way, our autosomal (and likely some mtDNA) ancestry descends from whatever people existed in our lands if there were people there at all.

I believe the Eastern Cushitic languages were in the Nile Valley/Eastern Desert. It’s highly likely that we came with proto-Somali from Sudan, and those East Cushitic languages went extinct later. We know that there were several groups in the area in the ancient past that was difficult to associate with a specific group. I read that Nubian had loanwords with Highland East Cushitic, not Beja or Agaw:

View attachment 248800

@Alhadame I believe you carry a lineage that came with the E-V32 people, as Somali as the rest and not a recent from Tigre. It's awesome.

@Shimbiris , @Slickster , @Garaad diinle , @Reformed J @Som , @Moholin01 , @Vito Rizutto , @Thalassocracy , @Jammy , @BetterDaysAhead

What do you guys think?
Well i can't say much about the genetics here though one thing to note is that it's not a coincident that the afar who lives in eritrea up to the dahlak island close to the beja territory and the somalis belong to the same language group that being the lowland east cushitic.

I've read once of how beni amer are genetically close to somalis or that they are genetically related to each other and i thought that it was due to trade between us in the past couple of hundred years ago after all there are afaraized somalis who lives in southern eritrea. This genetic similarities migh go back to the neolithic age which would be interesting if it's true we need to test the beja to get a clearer picture. One funny thing is when i was reading on the beja language i found out that the word "big" in beja is "win" and somali wayen or maay wiin.

0OG58Zy.png

It's interesting that the nobiin language have loan words from the hadiya language rather than close by cushitic languages. This might throws a wrench into previous theories about the split of the cushitic languages and where it happend. I've always suspected that the original somalis or their ancestor were more diverse in terms of haplogroup so i wouldn't be surprised if the t haplogroup came down from sudan with haplogroup e-v32. I thing some in kenyas tested for the t haplogroup if memory service me right

Last edited:
Well i can't say much about the genetics here though one thing to note is that it's not a coincident that the afar who lives in eritrea up to the dahlak island close to the beja territory and the somalis belong to the same language group that being the lowland east cushitic.

I've read once of how beni amer are genetically close to somalis or that they are genetically related to each other and i thought that it was due to trade between us in the past couple of hundred years ago after all there are afaraized somalis who lives in southern eritrea. This genetic similarities migh go back to the neolithic age which would be interesting if it's true we need to test the beja to get a clearer picture. One funny thing is when i was reading on the beja language i found out that the word "big" in beja is "win" and somali wayen or maay wiin.

0OG58Zy.png

It's interesting that the nobiin language have loan words from the hadiya language rather than close by cushitic languages. This might throws a wrench into previous theories about the split of the cushitic languages and where it happend. I've always suspected that the original somalis or their ancestor were more diverse in terms of haplogroup so i wouldn't be surprised if the t haplogroup came down from sudan with haplogroup e-v32. I thing some in kenyas tested for the t haplogroup if memory service me right
You know interestingly, it has been a while since I check those Beja folks. But if I recall correctly, the Hadendowa, preferred Somalis for their purely Cushitic ancestry over the other Ethiopians. I will have to check them out again. The other haplogroup T with the highest frequency (not the one discussed here) likely came from Arabia, sxb. That's the strongest hypothesis given what we got.

Awdalite

Araabi

The Northern Dir subclade is T-FGC92488 and just like you said the Raxanweyn Haplogroup T sample on YFull is of a completely different origin. Apparently our origin is from Arabia according to the experts whereas this specific Raxanweyn sample is more native to the Horn.

The Northern Dir subclade is T-FGC92488 and just like you said the Raxanweyn Haplogroup T sample on YFull is of a completely different origin. Apparently our origin is from Arabia according to the experts whereas this specific Raxanweyn sample is more native to the Horn.
I thought all somali T would belong to the dir clade but seems T from other horners have somehow got ita way into somali lands and it would be intersting if the op could do the bigY to check which subclade he fall under

Good result bratha tho your ethiopian compenent is have for an average somali.

Do your parent remember any recent migration to ethiopia and what is you rahajwayn subclan, seems raxanwayn have substantial amount of T in them
I remember my mum telling me we have some Ethiopian ancestor and I'm hadame rahanweyn

There is still a possibility that their subclade was brought to the Horn by Semitic migrants.

For instance, the Tigre samples in the RW T-Y15711 group matches with a Saudi roughly 3000 years ago; I know it is not an exact science. If this Saudi belongs to a known Arab clan, then the evidence suggests the Tigre samples in the RW group are of ancient Semitic ancestry. According to their oral History, the T RX clans descend from Harari migrants, if there is any truth to this myth then it is plausible that they have a similar ancestry to Habasha Tigres who had a historical presence in coastal areas of Northern Eritrea.

Awdalite

Araabi
There is still a possibility that their subclade was brought to the Horn by Semitic migrants.

For instance, the Tigre samples in the RW T-Y15711 group matches with a Saudi roughly 3000 years ago; I know it is not an exact science. If this Saudi belongs to a known Arab clan, then the evidence suggests the Tigre samples in the RW group are of ancient Semitic ancestry. According to their oral History, the T RX clans descend from Harari migrants, if there is any truth to this myth then it is plausible that they have a similar ancestry to Habasha Tigres who had a historical presence in coastal areas of Northern Eritrea.

Fascinating. I saw his matches with a Saudi and a few Sudanese aswell. The Sudanese samples have Kassala and Bahr Al Ahmar as their origin. Could those be Beja samples because they live in Eastern Sudan? If so, then that would be really interesting.

Fascinating. I saw his matches with a Saudi and a few Sudanese aswell. The Sudanese samples have Kassala and Bahr Al Ahmar as their origin. Could those be Beja samples because they live in Eastern Sudan? If so, then that would be really interesting.
They are Tigre Habashas, not Beja. Tigre also live in Southern Red Sea areas of Sudan and have close relations with the Beja.