Muslim women are oppressed in Somalia

Even within Xamar many Somali women covered. Media is deceptive and doesn't paint the full picture. Here are Somali women protesting for the release of Angela Davis in the 70s :

View attachment 180983
Except today alot of these gabasars and scarves are no longer seen as adequate. Men's attire remain unchanged but women’s has drastically since the 80s in Somalia. Now wearing this huge tent is the norm and expected. Apparently can’t even wear direc outside these days which was perfectly normal before the war.

Last edited:
The truth is when men are unable to control their own destiny and have no control over their own lives, they turn to the nearest weakest link to assert control. Which is why you see places like Somalia and Afghanistan oppressing women so blatantly.

I do believe Somali women are being oppressed in Somalia.

However, I do not think the simple act of wearing a niqab and hijaab counts as 'oppression'. It's mostly worn my Somali women on their own accord.

If you really cared about Somali women back home, you would actively call out excessive sexual violence being perpetuated against them. You would also call out the forced marriages women have to attend due to being r*ped by their perpetuators.

There are sooo many other pressing issues you can advocate for, yet you choose to complain about the modest act of wearing the Niqaab and Abaayah. Talk about misplaced priorities.:kanyehmm:

bobsburger

I am NOT a federal agent
You westernized females are very confused.
How is being uncovered and open to the male gaze good for you in any way?
Not wearing hijab benefits men only.
You are just an object of sexual curiosity to staring males. Allhamdulilah for Islam women can be covered and not become sexual objects.

I do believe Somali women are being oppressed in Somalia.

However, I do not think the simple act of wearing a niqab and hijaab counts as 'oppression'. It's mostly worn my Somali women on their own accord.

If you really cared about Somali women back home, you would actively call out excessive sexual violence being perpetuated against them. You would also call out the forced marriages women have to attend due to being r*ped by their perpetuators.

There are sooo many other pressing issues you can advocate for, yet you choose to complain about the modest act of wearing the Niqaab and Abaayah. Talk about misplaced priorities.:kanyehmm:
How are they wearing it on their own accord if showing few strands of hair in xamar causes so much harassment on the streets? If Somali women had true autonomy you’d see a variation of styles like you’d see normally among other societies. The simple fact that most are wearing jilbabs and even few loose strand of hair causes this kinda backlash tells us otherwise.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
I admit Wahabissm has strongly taken over and obsess over women like in Saudi. It has been spread throughout the 90s and 200s by Saudi funded mosques and preachers. They lead to the rise of extremism and terror in Somalia.

In sufi areas in Somalia women wear garbasaar and dirac and thats fine. In fact they have banned the niqab. Go to Guriceel Dhuusomareeb and Cabudwaaq and you will rarely see them.

Its infected the main cities especially Burco and Xamar. More lax cities like Hargeisa no one would care.

Except today alot of these gabasars and scarves are no longer seen as adequate. Men's attire remain unchanged but women’s has drastically since the 80s in Somalia. Now wearing this huge tent is the norm and expected. Apparently can’t even wear direc outside these days which was perfectly normal before the war.

Both men and women need to commit themselves to the deen and guard their modesty. Most women wear the half jilbaans over baatis it's easier for them when out and about because the society has become more conservative.

Caaro

I do something called "what I want"
2021 GRANDMASTER
VIP
like i said you know nothing about hadith sciences do some research.
if you’re not gonna answer her question then stfu. Seems like you don’t know either and just want to hide your ignorance.

I honestly feel like no matter what you wear you will be sexualised by men. Wear western clothing, and you will be seen as a . Wear conservative clothing, and people will still be seeing you in a sexual manner (eg. perpetuating that if women don’t cover up they deserve getting r*ped, telling girl to get covered up so they will be treated with human decency, etc.)
Also, hijab-fetishists exist 😳 Some men are apparently aroused by the mystique of the veiled figure.
Don’t @ me claiming that I support this or that, I’m just looking at both sides here.

“If you really cared about Somali women back home, you would actively call out excessive sexual violence being perpetuated against them. You would also call out the forced marriages women have to attend due to being r*ped by their perpetuators.”

Lol we do, here and elsewhere all the time. But the same way most of the men on this very thread are supporting the harassing of this girl for showing her hair, they also support or suppress the sexual violence and child marriages against women in Somalia. How many threads having you seen here go to 15 pages discussing these same topics, where 98% of the men stand on one side and the women on the other. Guess what even irl faraxs stay undermining and gaslighting women. They even deny rape, sexual violence, and child marrages are even an issue to start with. Or they grab some obscure Hadiths to try to defend it like @Dawo just did. Com’on don’t play dumb, you know exactly what’s up.

@AbdiS

Both men and women need to commit themselves to the deen and guard their modesty. Most women wear the half jilbaans over baatis it's easier for them when out and about because the society has become more conservative.
But that’s exactly my point...the society became more conservative only when it comes to the women. There’s no difference for Somali men before and after the war.

if you’re not gonna answer her question then stfu. Seems like you don’t know either and just want to hide your ignorance.

Hide what ? theres nothing to hide, i know i am ignorant theres nothing to be ashamed of being ignorant but one thing i am not is a hadith denier.

Its easy to go online and find out how hadiths are graded why should i copy and paste for someone who is a troll with an agenda.

I admit Wahabissm has strongly taken over and obsess over women like in Saudi. It has been spread throughout the 90s and 200s by Saudi funded mosques and preachers. They lead to the rise of extremism and terror in Somalia.

In sufi areas in Somalia women wear garbasaar and dirac and thats fine. In fact they have banned the niqab. Go to Guriceel Dhuusomareeb and Cabudwaaq and you will rarely see them.

Its infected the main cities especially Burco and Xamar. More lax cities like Hargeisa no one would care.
What I always had problem with is how most Somalis obsess more over the hijab then even the salaat and even fasting. You’ll meet full blown xalimo hijabi that doesn’t even pray and then you meet a Pakistan girl wearing jeans and tunic no hijab that prays not only the obligatory 5 prayers but also multiple sunnah prayers. I’ve met plenty of both irl! Dressing modesty is required but it’s way below more important things like praying. And the jilbab is not Islamic. Idk who created it but Islam did not prescribe certain style for women. The Quran doesn’t even mention covering hair directly, it’s say cover your bosom(verse 24:31)regardless this unhealthy obsession with hijab and women’s modesty above all else is odd and demented.

TekNiKo

“I am an empathic and emotionally-aware person.
VIP
What I always had problem with is how most Somalis obsess more over the hijab then even the salaat and even fasting. You’ll meet full blown xalimo hijabi that doesn’t even pray and then you meet a Pakistan girl wearing jeans and tunic no hijab that prays not only the obligatory 5 prayers but extracsunnahs. I’ve met plenty of both irl! Dressing modesty is required but it’s way below more important things like praying. And the jilbab is not Islamic. Idk who created it but Islam did not prescribe certain style for women. The Quran doesn’t even mention covering hair directly, it’s say cover your bosom(verse 24:31)regardless this unhealthy obsession with hijab and women’s modesty above all else is odd and demented.
Well some scholars argue that societal hypocrisy where these full blown hijabis commit sins is better than them being more naked. When sins are flaunted in the open can set a dangerous precedent. They argue that society would be more preserved this way despite the irony of it.

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
You’ll meet full blown xalimo hijabi that doesn’t even pray and then you meet a Pakistan girl wearing jeans and tunic no hijab that prays not only the obligatory 5 prayers but extracsunnahs.
(FYI : I get the point, before someone states it ain't the point your trying to put across)

Would you go to a headteacher who you have a meeting with looking all rough and not ready? Or would you present yourself in the best of ways, clearly neat and ready to meet. If you do so for the headteacher, why not to Allah SWT. How can you pray without a hijab? That isn't sunnah, nor does it have basis in the deen. If you present yourself well to a headteacher, why can't you do the same to Allah SWT. I wouldn't go into a headteachers office with a skinny jean and a tight vest. So I shaln't do the same for prayers.

If you pray the obligatory 5 and extra sunnah, but fail to follow the basic rule of modesty, both men and women, then your somewhat on par with the hijabi who doesn't pray. At the end of the day, both party transgressed.

What I always had problem with is how most Somalis obsess more over the hijab then even the salaat and even fasting. You’ll meet full blown xalimo hijabi that doesn’t even pray and then you meet a Pakistan girl wearing jeans and tunic no hijab that prays not only the obligatory 5 prayers but extracsunnahs. I’ve met plenty of both irl! Dressing modesty is required but it’s way below more important things like praying. And the jilbab is not Islamic. Idk who created it but Islam did not prescribe certain style for women. The Quran doesn’t even mention covering hair directly, it’s say cover your bosom(verse 24:31)regardless this unhealthy obsession with hijab and women’s modesty above all else is odd and demented.
Your irrelevant anecdotes mean nothing since 9/10 the one wearing a jilbab prays and the one wearings jeans doesnt. Not allowing women walk around without hijab is not an obession, i dont know if you heard but somalia is a conservative muslim nation. the vast majority are not sufi cucks. Its cool to be all "free and liberated" in the white country you live in but dont be suprised if that stuff doesnt fly back home.
"O Prophet! Ask your wives, daughters, and believing women to draw their cloaks over their bodies. In this way it is more likely that they will be recognized ˹as virtuous˺ and not be harassed. And Allah is All-Forgiving, Most Merciful.1 " Since you said jilbab and covering hair is not mentioned

Calaf

Veni Vidi Vici
2022 CHESS CHAMP
GENERALISSIMO
VIP
I didn't know trusting a "scholar" was a pillar in Islam but hey
Defamation of one ain't it, nor is it a pillar of Islam nor is it a part of Islam. Talking ill of the dead, talking ill of a scholar, talking ill of the deen which you claim to be a part of, your chargesheet just gets longer and longer.

Defamation of one ain't it, nor is it a pillar of Islam nor is it a part of Islam. Talking ill of the dead, talking ill of a scholar, talking ill of the deen which you claim to be a part of, your chargesheet just gets longer and longer.
Where did I say anything bad about him? I said he was born in the 1800s so I don't find him credible.