Moral Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
You and your family are going away for the weekend. Your daughter is 7 and is best friends with your niece, who is also 7. Your families are very close and your daughter asks if your niece can come with you on your holiday. You have been on holidays together before and don’t see any problem, so you agree.

You arrive at your holiday destination and the house you are staying at backs onto a beach. The girls ask if they can go for a swim. You tell them that they have to wait until you have unpacked the car, but they can play on the sand directly in front of the beach. They run down to the sand, and you begin to unpack the car. After about 5 minutes, you hear screaming coming from the direction of the beach and it sounds like the girls.

You run down to see what the matter is, and you discover that they hadn’t listened to you and have gone for a swim. There is no one else on the beach and the girls are caught in a rip.

The girls are really struggling, particularly your niece who isn’t as strong a swimmer as your daughter.

You swim out quickly, but when you get there, you realize that there is no way you will be able to get both the girls back into shore on your own. You realize that an agonizing decision will need to be made.

You need to decide which of the girls you will rescue first, you have enough strength and energy to rescue them both, but you can only do it one at a time. You look at the two girls, and your niece is really struggling to hold her head above water and you know if you take your daughter back first, there will be little or no chance that she will survive.

Your daughter is struggling also, but is much stronger in the water and you estimate that if you take your niece back to shore first, there’s probably a 50% chance that your daughter will be able to stay afloat long enough for you return, but you simply don’t know how long she will hold on for.

TooMacaan

VIP
I would never face such a dilemma in the first place bc I'd be too paranoid/controlling to trust & let two little brats out of my sight.:gaasdrink:

Fun...? Freedom..? What is the meaning of such a thing??! :ayaanswag:

I would never face such a dilemma in the first place bc I'd be too paranoid/controlling to trust & let two little brats out of my sight.:gaasdrink:

Fun...? Freedom..? What is the meaning of such a thing??! :ayaanswag:

Let's say hypothetically it happened, they somehow found a way. What would you do

dr.leorio

death\emitter
I'd rescue my kid first then my niece right after.

If my niece dies because of my decision, I would feel awful obviously but I would feel much worse if I let my kid drown.

Either way, this is a terrible lose-lose scenario.

I'd rescue my kid first then my niece right after.

If my niece dies because of my decision, I would feel awful obviously but I would feel much worse if I let my kid drown.

Either way, this is a terrible lose-lose scenario.
But why ? your daughter has a higher chance of surviving

Niece first. I would always feel like i didn't rescue her because she is my niece.

I saw a kid drown once and they pulled him out. His stomach filled to capacity with water. He survived though

Niece first. I would always feel like i didn't rescue her because she is my niece.

I saw a kid drown once and they pulled him out. His stomach filled to capacity with water. He survived though

There was this student who drowned, was announced clinically dead for about 5 mins then he came back to life.. there's a video on YouTube I think
It was something else :mjcry:

dr.leorio

death\emitter
But why ? your daughter has a higher chance of surviving

All the probability in the world can't refute a mans paternal instincts to save his child. On paper I might say I would save the niece first (maybe) but knowing myself I wouldn't hesitate to save my child first. Biologically speaking it makes sense that way too.

All the probability in the world can't refute a mans paternal instincts to save his child. On paper I might say I would save the niece first (maybe) but knowing myself I wouldn't hesitate to save my child first. Biologically speaking it makes sense that way too.
Out of topic but did you know Drs aren't allowed to operate on family members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts