Mixed Somali DNA testing

Hi guys,

I wanted to make this thread to give you an Idea how unreliable Autosomal DNA testing is. I did three DNA tests through three different companies. Family tree DNA family finder test, 23andme autosomal test and Ancestry.com test. Now I am mixed. My dad is 100% Somali, my mom however is half Somali paternally but her mom is half Sudanese (maternally) half circassian (paternally)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220309-180126_AncestryDNA.jpg
    Screenshot_20220309-180126_AncestryDNA.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 470
  • 20220309_174848.jpg
    20220309_174848.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 432
  • 20220309_174820.jpg
    20220309_174820.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 451
  • 20220309_174348.jpg
    20220309_174348.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 471
How'd you get 75% Somali if you only have one Somali parent? Shit ain't adding up akhi
I don't have a one somali parent both my parents are Somalis. My maternal ayeeyo is not Somali she is circassian paternally and half Sudanese maternally. So I should be only 25% not Somali but what is interesting to me is I got 18% Sudanese and only 2% from the caucuses which indicates that the circassian genes are recessive. This is my circassian great grand father who married a Sudanese women.

Attachments

• 20211115_120749.jpg
    20211115_120749.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 261
As mentioned before, the various companies use different approaches to assign the genomic data, and the level of accuracy (to an important extent) depends upon the refined algorithmic correction mechanism that needs a lot of samples to minimize the errors. 23andMe is the best commercial one for Somalis among all the others.

There is an option that can help you explore things better using G25.

Apollo

VIP
@Cali1996

Are you from Somaliland or the Harar region by any chance? I have noticed Somalis with Sudanese or Ottoman ancestral ties tend to come from there.

@Cali1996

Are you from Somaliland or the Harar region by any chance? I have noticed Somalis with Sudanese or Ottoman ancestral ties tend to come from there.
that's correct I am ugaaslabe from Sanaag. What's interesting though is my Southern European (just 0.7%) admixture seems to be coming from my Somali side of the family not from the Ajnabi side of family because a Somali who matched me had the same admixture.

I guess my rule of thumb did not apply here.
Put in mind that reer Laasqoray are actually the most mixed people among the Somali clans. We have many different haplogroups in our clan like J1, E-V32, E-m293, T, R, etc despite our small numbers.

Apollo

VIP
Put in mind that reer Laasqoray are actually the most mixed people among the Somali clans. We have many different haplogroups in our clan like J1, E-V32, E-m293, T, R, etc despite our small numbers.

The one with R most likely got it from a Persian and there is a lot of uncertainty regarding the E-M293 individual. So far no Warsangeli has been discovered who carries it besides him.

@Cali1996

Can you explain that further, I thought i was the only person who got small percent of Sudanese in me. So far, how many somaliland or Harar have you seen that got Sudanese autosomal. I think the Sudanese and Ottoman ancestral is not specific to Somaliland and Harar only

I am going to take a 23andme test. I heard roumers that one of my great grandmother's was from the British Empire forces. I will find out whether I have any traces of her dna .

I think reer Waqooyi have recent Nilotic admixture, but maybe that's what shows off as Sudanese in these tests. I already made a prediction that these reer Waqooyi communities had recent Nilotic influence in them. Maybe that's why they are so hateful and their love for songs.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
I don't have a one somali parent both my parents are Somalis. My maternal ayeeyo is not Somali she is circassian paternally and half Sudanese maternally. So I should be only 25% not Somali but what is interesting to me is I got 18% Sudanese and only 2% from the caucuses which indicates that the circassian genes are recessive. This is my circassian great grand father who married a Sudanese women.
It's due to recombination. Genetic inheritance doesn't work how people think it does. It's not like this:

Paternal Grandfather: 25%
Paternal Grandmother: 25%
Maternal Grandfather: 25%
Maternal Grandmother: 25%

You inherit 50% of your DNA from your hooyo and 50% from your aabo but the DNA you inherit is inherited at random when they recombine in you. So you could inherit 15% from paternal gramps but 35% from paternal grandma. Bit extreme but it could possibly happen. It's rarely an even split. If you have siblings and get them tested you may notice some of them are more "Sudanese" or Caucasian than you or possibly less.

I know a guy who's 1/4 Jewish genealogically yet his sister turns up as 15% Jewish on 23andme whereas he got luckier and is closer to the 25% you might expected genealogically speaking (23-24%). It's all luck and random.

I think reer Waqooyi have recent Nilotic admixture, but maybe that's what shows off as Sudanese in these tests. I already made a prediction that these reer Waqooyi communities had recent Nilotic influence in them. Maybe that's why they are so hateful and their love for songs.
Sudanese are not only Nilotic, they have Cushitic and Semitic. Until 23andme sorts out the regional area of ancestry no one knows for sure if the Sudanese part in him is Nilotic, Cushitic or Semitic

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member

How many times do you say ridiculous things? On average those from the Northwest and Northeast are more Somali than Southerners from what I've seen. :lol: Almost all the questionable results I see come from konfuur. :deadrose: And you are questioning the make up of Northerners. Do not throw stones in a glass house. You live closer to Bantus than they do to Nilotes.

Yes, sxb. I am genomicallystically almost fully Nilotic.

Trending

Latest posts