Misguided Associated Press tweets it's "Somalis" NOT "Somalians"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohamud

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
as if the cadaan dude writing that didn't literally JUST make the realization two seconds before he typed that

thought it was somalian for the longest time even though phonetically in Somali... you literally only refer to your people as Somali. I took my L too :meleshame:

Somalians are citizens of Somalia.

Somali is an ethnic group of people.

It's very simple to understand.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Bantus and Cadcads are Somali nationals, not ethnic Somalis.

You can become a German national but you're not really an ethnic German.

Bantus and Cadcads are Somali nationals, not ethnic Somalis.

You can become a German national but you're not really an ethnic German.
You're making shit up. No one says that they are a German national. It's either german-hyphenated or just German.

Anyways Somalia can't claim all Somalis around the world so it isn't correct to call all their citizens Somali.

Somalians is more correct term. It allows for minorities to feel that they are a part of the country.

Bahal

ʜᴀᴄᴋᴇᴅ ᴍᴇᴍʙᴇʀ
VIP
Lol, we're not just going to make up a new ethnonym out of the blue.

VixR

Veritas
You should.

The Somali Republic ended in 1991. The Federal Republic of Somalia is a brand new state. So it's citizens should be called Somalians.
What are you on about:dead:

What is the proposed term for SL people. I personally think the term Somalilanders sounds lame.

What are you on about:dead:

What is the proposed term for SL people. I personally think the term Somalilanders sounds lame.
It's lame but it is correct.

We can call ourselves Somali citizens too. Somalia doesn't have a monopoly on calling their citizens that.

Apollo

VIP
@Bahal @Amun

The Associated Press Stylebook tweeted this hours ago.

These two individuals must be pleased. They were very angry that I refer Somalis as Somalians

Someone from Slovakia is a Slovak. Not Slovakian.
Someone from Slovenia is a Slovene. Not Slovenian.

Not all -ia's become -ian.

Learn your own language, lazy f*ck.

Status
Not open for further replies.