Mental Illness is Rife in Somali

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
@JohnCena if u seen someone in somali community u know well and they are 'socially withdrawn' or not the same as u knew them, that is tell-tale sign their suffering silently
Yeah I have relatives that exhibit these signs and their life reflects it. I do try my best to improve it by any means ie encouraging them to workout more and introduce new hobbies.

Basically create goals for them to achieve. I know it's not a permanent solution , but it can help temporarily.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Yeah I have relatives that exhibit these signs and their life reflects it. I do try my best to improve it by any means ie encouraging them to workout more and introduce new hobbies.

Basically create goals for them to achieve. I know it's not a permanent solution , but it can help temporarily.

As David video said, the ppl suffering they need to do soul searching, I spent years on soul searching. I visited my primary school, high school, reflected on when I was a baby up until 5(which was a key turning point) as I came to australia. I looked at all my phases of life to pin-point and analyze what I was doing, why I was doing it, and how it contributed to my self worth.

That's when I started to get active in Somali community n even Blacks, realizing I am being judged solely on how I look even tho I do not share much mental/social traits with them as I had vastly different upbringing and my circumstances are not the same as theirs as they grew up around somalis or blacks in the same socio economic area and developing the same views.

I realized this when I was 13 is when I pin pointed my problem going to an all white private school, i loved learnin becuz I was curious child always curious about everything, but I started to dumb myself down and just study to the point I pass, even tho in my own spare-time I would have encyclopedias becuz of my curosity of the vast level of things in life.

Somali suffering need to pin point where things went wrong, what caused it, is it self image issue, is it a community issue where they can't seem to get along with their own or others, family expectation or abandonment, social image, wealth, religious struggles. Thats why we need robust community centers where they can go and get mentor n advice not this current 'denial' culture

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@JohnCena see david personality wise and thinking style I can connect with him due to our upbringing and time period was not the same as mellenials(terror age) nor is it the same as other blacks who live in same socio economic area, were not trying to be white, we were surrounded by it due to the time period we live in. We acknowledge were black tho but black thing only happened due to how society groups us, within ourselves, it doesn't exist. We r individuals first n foroemost like any other human group.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
:dead:

There is no way that people walk alike just because they share common ancestors

They do, in africa they can tell foreigners automatically by how u walk, even if u looked the same facially, we can experiment n put diaspora somali in same clothes, face, n watch in somalia, the data result is outstandingly the accurate they will be able to tell.

What do you mean ‘come out’? A lot of Somali parents can tell if their son or daughter is going through mental health issues.

For the daughters, it’s taken as a sign of rebellion and results in being dragged out of the house, or the parents just ignoring it out of fear of gossip. But the sons usually recieve some sort of rehabilitation at least …….

Most likely not being able to adjust to the weather in Minnesota and most likely a Vitamin D deficiency(especially in the winter).

Healthcare is also not free in America and they're most likely not going for routinely checkups and bloodtests.

I know this article discusses autism, but it does note that lack of vitamin D is the major contributor to autism for Somalis living in Minnesota.

"
Dr. Gregory A. Plotnikoff, medical director for the Institute for Health and Healing at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, said a colleague had noticed an “exceedingly high” rate of morning sickness among pregnant Somali women in Minneapolis, often requiring hospitalizations.

The doctor began checking Vitamin D levels and found that, on average, they were far below what is considered to be normal and healthy."
Yes diaspora Somali (USA EUROPE) are new to these cold environments (unless you in Arizona or Florida etc) our genes for the last 100,000 years adapted to dry and hot climate. We will suffer the shock and our great great great grandchildren won't have these issues (Allah willing) due to the long term acclimitisation. It's crazy how much the civil war destroyed Somalia and Somalis man

We are depressed because we have a stringent religion/culture in a liberal society, the contrast between what we believe/do and our society around believes/does us can’t be greater. We live in the most richest countries and shouldn’t have a reason to be depressed. We take so many things for granted. Let’s be less serious and enjoy life.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@JohnCena I can connect with this guy cuz when we came to australia, we were the first wave of somalis and even blacks were tiny, we were surrounded by whites and became white mentally. Assimilation was mandatory socially even tho multiculturalism was a policy, it takes time before it becomes socially implemented.

I hated the biases of are u good at sports, sex, dancing, which I was not and used to wonder how am I going to survive when none of these things apply to me. Prejudice is a terrible thing, racism i dont think exists, its used alot but what i witnessed was all of prejudgment and ignoring individualism and grouping ppl by color and associating them their same irrepective of their different socio-economic environment or up bringing.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@JohnCena I always give ppl the chance to demonstrate their individually different to their ethnic or socioeconomic group, I never paint the brush with anyone as I saw how flawed that was against me and how u could possibly be missing something and working on your set of biases. I used to always and still do love to speak to ppl older then myself, even as a kid I was like that, I wud assume they have more wisdom then I do and I cud make informed decisions for myself. I don't get along with my age bracket even with within white ppl.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I now sit with mellenials and those older then me, cuz it's different perspective, im wired differently to most ppl, i don't like a carbon copy of myself, i sit with mellenials now to assess what my generation need to pass down so they have better future then we did. I also sit with older ppl to take their wisdom(failures n successes)

I now sit with mellenials and those older then me, cuz it's different perspective, im wired differently to most ppl, i don't like a carbon copy of myself, i sit with mellenials now to assess what my generation need to pass down so they have better future then we did. I also sit with older ppl to take their wisdom(failures n successes)
Some of the wisdom from older folks is getting outdated.

Robert Eddison is wisest old man alive in my view. His TikTok is a goldmine of wisdom that will enlighten you.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Some of the wisdom from older folks is getting outdated.

Robert Eddison is wisest old man alive in my view. His TikTok is a goldmine of wisdom that will enlighten you.

Wisdom isn't just positive but also negative, u can learn from both, the positive u can re-implement or advance, the negative u can analyze and study how it turned out like that as lessons learned.

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
@JohnCena I always give ppl the chance to demonstrate their individually different to their ethnic or socioeconomic group, I never paint the brush with anyone as I saw how flawed that was against me and how u could possibly be missing something and working on your set of biases. I used to always and still do love to speak to ppl older then myself, even as a kid I was like that, I wud assume they have more wisdom then I do and I cud make informed decisions for myself. I don't get along with my age bracket even with within white ppl.
If more people thought like you, the world would be a better place <3

It's always important to judge people by their character instead of their ethnicity/religion/gender

induction

Nothing is true; everything is permitted
I am watching this famous actor, his black and suffered from psychosis.

I also try to find muslim or arab cases as it has influenced our culture but they are a 'Honor n Shame culture'. I tried to find Somali also but as u know that is going to impossible with our 'denial culture'

The study confirmed that almost half of the Somali male patients are under age 30, 80% of whom presented with psychoses, compared with the rate of psychosis (13.7%) in the non-Somali control group of same-aged males at the clinic. The older male, and the majority of Somali female patients, show predominantly depressive and PTSD symptomatology.

Why don't u guys come out, there nothing to be ashamed of?
i feel like the reason is because they never got the chance to think about those things. when the government fell, everyone fled into refugee camps and stuff. So, there was no time to really focus on mental health. they were either busy fleeing or raising children in a foreign camp
:(

El Nino

Cabsi cabsi
VIP
Mental illness among diaspora born or raised men is most likely due to weed, yes tvhis drug will cause schizophrenia and psyvjosis. Stay away from drugs, seen in real life how fast guys have changed after they started smoking weed.

We are depressed because we have a stringent religion/culture in a liberal society, the contrast between what we believe/do and our society around believes/does us can’t be greater. We live in the most richest countries and shouldn’t have a reason to be depressed. We take so many things for granted. Let’s be less serious and enjoy life.
How about all the white people from those liberal societies? Why are they depressed? They don’t have a strict religion and cultural background.

I wish we had a culture of not being judged harshly when we open up about our struggles. So many suffer in silence when they need support the most. Many of the problems people battle within can be solved but they don’t know how nor are they in the most stable condition to seek help themselves.

As a community, we should try to first understand others before rushing to judge them. We have an empathy problem that we gloss over especially from the older generations. I understand trauma can be the cause of this but we need to find ways to show each other our vulnerabilities so others know they’re NOT alone.

We all struggle. This life isn’t meant to be picture perfect. We ALL go through highs and lows in life. It’s okay to feel all our emotions. People with mental health struggles believe they are the only one going through those issues because they see others who present as happy people. They don’t know how much hardship or struggle those people could be facing in private.

Last edited:
Being of an immigrant family comes with many stressors not present in natives. I suppose that has a lot to do with it given that stress is a major contributor to psychosis episodes. I would be interested to see a comparison between non-diaspora Somalis.