Mental Illness is Rife in Somali

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I am watching this famous actor, his black and suffered from psychosis.

I also try to find muslim or arab cases as it has influenced our culture but they are a 'Honor n Shame culture'. I tried to find Somali also but as u know that is going to impossible with our 'denial culture'

The study confirmed that almost half of the Somali male patients are under age 30, 80% of whom presented with psychoses, compared with the rate of psychosis (13.7%) in the non-Somali control group of same-aged males at the clinic. The older male, and the majority of Somali female patients, show predominantly depressive and PTSD symptomatology.

Why don't u guys come out, there nothing to be ashamed of?

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@JohnCena we have mental illness in our culture 8-9 times higher then non somalis in the same age bracket. I've noticed the rate is also high among south sudanese and africans in australia is high in comparison to their population ratio.

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
@JohnCena we have mental illness in our culture 8-9 times higher then non somalis in the same age bracket. I've noticed the rate of south sudanese and africans in australia is high in comparison to their population ratio.
"The study confirmed that almost half of the Somali male patients are under age 30"

Very concerning. Is this based off western Somalis or native ones?

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Leading mental illnesses are

1. Depression
2. Psychosis possibly due to khat or khat genetic inheritance gene
3. PTSD
4. Bipolar n Mania

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
I would say anxiety is rife among Somali women always 'worrying' due to single mother issues, somali families at home, kids, social status n image in the community. Those are all contributors to anxiety

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER

Psychoses, PTSD, and depression in Somali refugees in Minnesota​

Most likely not being able to adjust to the weather in Minnesota and most likely a Vitamin D deficiency(especially in the winter).

Healthcare is also not free in America and they're most likely not going for routinely checkups and bloodtests.

I know this article discusses autism, but it does note that lack of vitamin D is the major contributor to autism for Somalis living in Minnesota.

"
Dr. Gregory A. Plotnikoff, medical director for the Institute for Health and Healing at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, said a colleague had noticed an “exceedingly high” rate of morning sickness among pregnant Somali women in Minneapolis, often requiring hospitalizations.

The doctor began checking Vitamin D levels and found that, on average, they were far below what is considered to be normal and healthy."

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Most likely not being able to adjust to the weather in Minnesota and most likely a Vitamin D deficiency(especially in the winter).

Healthcare is also not free in America and they're most likely not going for routinely checkups and bloodtests.

I know this article discusses autism, but it does note that lack of vitamin D is the major contributor to autism for Somalis living in Minnesota.

"
Dr. Gregory A. Plotnikoff, medical director for the Institute for Health and Healing at Abbott Northwestern Hospital, said a colleague had noticed an “exceedingly high” rate of morning sickness among pregnant Somali women in Minneapolis, often requiring hospitalizations.

The doctor began checking Vitamin D levels and found that, on average, they were far below what is considered to be normal and healthy."

The men might be isolating and not adjusting to western life, leading to drug use n mental illness or they had higher expectations of life in the west and it didn't work out, that's what happened to south sudanese who fled their war and came here, all the fathers went back to south sudan, leaving the women to raise the kids like somalis do, then the kids had the single mum effect resorting to (crime)

JohnCena

PROFESSIONAL SHITPOSTER
The men might be isolating and not adjusting to western life, leading to drug use n mental illness or they had higher expectations of life in the west and it didn't work out, that's what happened to south sudanese who fled their war and came here, all the fathers went back to south sudan, leaving the women to raise the kids like somalis do, then the kids had the single mum effect resorting to (crime)
That's another good reason.

What solutions do you have in mind that could mitigate this ongoing issue? What can be done to help?

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@JohnCena is their a relation between somalis n south sudanese. Their very dark black only but phenotypes r not bantu and their body structure is identical to somali, even their walking.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
That's another good reason.

What solutions do you have in mind that could mitigate this ongoing issue? What can be done to help?

I read 80% of single mom kids r in prison, 70% of drug addicts, 70% of suicides. They said if they removed the single mother factor african americans would not be higher then the national average, somalis went down that path also. Advice dont leave your wives or u impact the kids.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@JohnCena if u seen someone in somali community u know well and they are 'socially withdrawn' or not the same as u knew them, that is tell-tale sign their suffering silently

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@JohnCena remember their is high functioning(conceals it well) and low functioning(ppl oo dharka iska siibo) it's a spectrum or a big range it doesn't present itself the same to each person.

Somali Saayid

There is no surrender, We lose or We Die.
VIP
I read 80% of single mom kids r in prison, 70% of drug addicts, 70% of suicides. They said if they removed the single mother factor african americans would not be higher then the national average, somalis went down that path also. Advice dont leave your wives or u impact the kids.
TBH Somali community needs to shame any man who leaves his wife with a newborn or young child. I'm nor taking about divorce. but wife hunting back home.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
The arabs have a pride culture and honor/shame so I suspect it's going undetected especially the one's in civil war and refugees. Somalis have a pride culture but not as severe honor/shame culture as the arabs, so if they can't past the pride, they have better chance to deal with it rather then let it simmer away and get to a point of no return.

Very informative thread. I did not know you could suffer from psychosis due to eating khat but it makes sense.

We need to address mental health and how it affects our community.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Very informative thread. I did not know you could suffer from psychosis due to eating khat but it makes sense.

We need to address mental health and how it affects our community.

Not only that but genes r passed from parents to kids, so if ur father or mother chewed the stuff, you have a un-activated gene that can be triggered thru trauma, stress, other drug usage, lifestyle choices(diet, lack of sleep) or any combination of that.

TBH Somali community needs to shame any man who leaves his wife with a newborn or young child. I'm nor taking about divorce. but wife hunting back home.
I agree but we should also teach women how to properly vet men before marriage. They need a safety net and learn personal finance. It shouldn't be the end of the world if your husband leaves you. Completely relying on your partner is dangerous and foolish.

Trending

Latest posts