Marrying dead brothers wife.(Dumaal)

Would you have accepted it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

maestro

Cultural revolution
This may have been a good idea back then when times were rough and security was not guaranteed but now you can support and take care of your nieces and nephews without being their step dad just fine.

We already lost many traditions since the Industrial Age began so Don't care if we drop this one because it's useless in this era. It sounds very backward and Stone Age.

It's possible to support the family WITHOUT marrying her.

You will support her and her offspring better if you practiced dumaal on the long term. TBH you will always put your family before anyone else. You might be happy to support her at the beginning but after a while it takes a toll on you financially and socially. Its worse if you have got married from someone else and had kids. Dumaal compensates for lack of father figure in the household and protects the widow against growing old alone or taken advantage off by foreigners. Usually the younger unmarried brother is asked to marry his late brother widow.

I know 1 family practicing this tradition all their sons and daughters are college graduate.

fox

31/12/16 - 04/04/20
VIP
I didn't know, do they practice this in the cities or just in badiyo?

stop trying to take my Somali card it'll never work.
Magaalada iyo miiga way ka dhacta.

I am not surprised tho. The norths held on to somali language and tradition while south adopted bantu niiko.

Arma

GRAND Wizard of MJ SIXIIR
VIP
When my grandfather passed away in the 50s, hus brother married my grandmother and cared for my dad and his siblings.
I think its a wonderful practice. If i were to die, i would prefer my brother marry my widow, if she accepts him, and be a carer for my children. The kids would be less likely to be abused abd treated bad by their uncle.

Gibiin-Udug

Crowned Queen of Puntland. Supporter of PuntExit
This is a disgusting traditional, it's backwards. How are the kids first cousins and half siblings? This is absolutely inhumane.
Somalis should be worried about bigger things than who their widowed sister in law marries.

Europeans used to practise dumaal not that long ago, during world war 2 and later on. Its not specific to any one culture.

It's a strange concept but back home it served a good purpose, whereby the widow and her children would get taken care of by someone they trust. We shouldn't look down on something, that is still recent and very much practised by our people. Most people know someone who is a product of dumaal or they can find it somewhere in their lineage.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
It's silly now but made sense when we were nomads.

Back then you usually only get the least desirable men marrying older widows with children.

They are either marrying them because they can't marry anyone else or they're after the widow's wealth.

Out of 8/10 scenarios the widow and kids are much better off in an awkward uncle/stepdad relationship then with one of those guys above.

Who would practice it now?

Also could imagine watching out for your brothers if you end up marrying a qt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending