Map of the somali dialects

Som

VIP
This is not accurate enough. While it's true that qabil has a lot to do with accent this doesn't always coincide. Habar gidir in Gaalkacyo don't sound much different than MJs in Gaalkacyo. Daroods in Gedo have a north central sounding accent but still have noticable southern influences.
Some clams have huge differences amongst themselves because of geography. A Murusade or Habar gidir from galgaduud sounds closer to a deer galgaduud Mareexaan while a Murusade or Habar gidir from Shabeellaha sounds much more Southern.

Som

VIP
Mudug dialect is spoken by many clans founder of SNA General Daud Abdulle Xirsi and General Salaad Gabeyre AUN spoke in a strong mudug accent and the 3 SYL members of ours were mostly reer Xarardheere, Mudug.

Besides the Abgaal who live in mudug we have our own dialect known throughout Somalia and a whole lot who are just Reer Mogadishu
I would say Mudug dialect is spoken by Murusade, Marehan, Habar gidir and MJs who live in Mudug and galgaduud. There is some variation among clans but the macro accent has shared characteristics that go beyond qabil

Som

VIP
Most of my relatives speak xaayow but use nooh alot. Alot of the miyi Abubakar wacdan cisman from wanlaweyne , lafoole , lantabuur ,outskirts of merka and Lambar konton have closer accent to between galjecel and bimaal miyi weirdly.
Reer baraawe /haaway (sablale) speak af tuuni and or same somali accent spoken in jazeeradah and old parts of xamar .
As someone who has xaayow speaking relatives would you say hawiye in galgaduud and Mudug have your same accent or do you view it as closed to the Mudug/Darood accent?

Jungle

VIP
I would say Mudug dialect is spoken by Murusade, Marehan, Habar gidir and MJs who live in Mudug and galgaduud. There is some variation among clans but the macro accent has shared characteristics that go beyond qabil
Never have I heard a murusade speak in reer mudug dialect and never have I heard a murusade say they are Reer Mudug. Ive married into them and youre talking out your arse.
I'm pretty sure hawiye in Ceelbuur or Dhuusamareeb don't sound like Abgaal middle Shabelle. They sound like Daroods but probably have a slight southern influence but still very distinct from the classical "xaayow" accent.
Murusade speak exactly like Abgaal with Beelweynta Cayr having strong influences lol

I think the Hawiye outliers in Galmudug are Duduble, they speak like Marehan. Salebaam in Cadado also speak similar to Marehan as Marehan historic lands in Galmudug were xibin iyo xeeb and Caado

The map is bullshit as reer Bari & Hawd Isaaq speak just like the Harti/Ogaden Daroods they neighbour while Western HA clans speak like Samarone,Cisse,Bartire & Geri (Huuno farmer dialect)

HoodHawiye

polygamist
This is pretty just a clan map, are dialects really that connected to qabil
Think about it bro... a language is how you talk to your people... and who are your people if not your clan? Of course the clans and the dialects are going to have overlap

That is benaadir dialect .
Mudug dialect is spoken by daroods of mudug and adjacent areas in the somali region of ethiopia.
my reer abti from mudug speak like northerners that I laugh at sometimes. They say suuli instead of musqul for toilet amongst other examples. they are waceysle for reference

Som

VIP
Benaadir or hawiye dialect
View attachment 218257
This is very approximative and not accurate. Accents sometimes relate to qabil and some times they don't. The Hawiye in Galgaduud/Mudug sound nothing like thw Hawiye in the south. Reer Mudug/Galgaduud Hawiye sound closer to their Darood neighbors. If you search for videos from Hawiye folks from dhisa mareen, Ceel buur, gaalkacyo, hobyo etc you'll notice their accent is not stereotypicaly southern.
A more accurate division would be
Northern accent (somaliland)
North Central (daroods in Mudug, PL etc)
South Central / Central ( Hawiye in Galgaduud and Mudug. Maybe parte of Hiiran and northern middle shabelle)
Southern ( middle shabelle, benadir, maxaa tiri speakers in lower Shabelle)
Southern with a north/central base( daroods in Gedo and Jubbooyinka)

Som

VIP
Think about it bro... a language is how you talk to your people... and who are your people if not your clan? Of course the clans and the dialects are going to have overlap
I know MJs who speak Benadiri cause they grew up in Xamar.
Also clans are very big. If you are Hawiye in Mudug your neighbors are MJ and you are more likely to speak like them rather than like Hawiye in Xamar

reer

VIP
Never have I heard a murusade speak in reer mudug dialect and never have I heard a murusade say they are Reer Mudug. Ive married into them and youre talking out your arse.

Murusade speak exactly like Abgaal with Beelweynta Cayr having strong influences lol
somali accent is influenced by both clan and location. also its not hard to estimate someones qabiil from the way they talk (unless theyre non hawiye from xamar etc).

I know MJs who speak Benadiri cause they grew up in Xamar.
Also clans are very big. If you are Hawiye in Mudug your neighbors are MJ and you are more likely to speak like them rather than like Hawiye in Xamar

No such thing as MJ or Darood accent, and MJ from Mudug sounds different to one in bari. People in Mudug whether Hawiye, Dir or MJ speak similarly.

Hamzza

VIP
This is very approximative and not accurate. Accents sometimes relate to qabil and some times they don't. The Hawiye in Galgaduud/Mudug sound nothing like thw Hawiye in the south. Reer Mudug/Galgaduud Hawiye sound closer to their Darood neighbors. If you search for videos from Hawiye folks from dhisa mareen, Ceel buur, gaalkacyo, hobyo etc you'll notice their accent is not stereotypicaly southern.
A more accurate division would be
Northern accent (somaliland)
North Central (daroods in Mudug, PL etc)
South Central / Central ( Hawiye in Galgaduud and Mudug. Maybe parte of Hiiran and northern middle shabelle)
Southern ( middle shabelle, benadir, maxaa tiri speakers in lower Shabelle)
Southern with a north/central base( daroods in Gedo and Jubbooyinka)
I agree with you

Hamzza

VIP
This is the Governor of Mudug Galmudug side, he speaks like typical Hawiye
This is the Governor of Mudug Puntland side, he is speaking like typical Darood

Last edited: