Map of the somali dialects

Hamzza

VIP
Map of the northern somali ns dialect of the somali language.
20220325_173803.jpg
ali language

Puntland has several dialects, look at how Faroole speaks compared to Abdulahi Yusuf AUN, or the distant Bari dialect where they use "naaniin" as a suffix.

Listen to this Caluula, Bari accent

He's not saying "naaniin", though. He's just adding "niin" at the end of his sentences. It's like saying "um" or "Uh" in English.

Other variants I've heard are "een", eeneen etc. It's pretty common among people with fluency disorders. I know many reer Baris and they don't talk like that, it's an individual thing.

He's not saying "naaniin", though. He's just adding "niin" at the end of his sentences. It's like saying "um" or "Uh" in English.

Other variants I've heard are "een", eeneen etc. It's pretty common among people with fluency disorders. I know many reer Baris and they don't talk like that, it's an individual thing.

Adding -niin excessively is an actual dialect in distant Bari, not a filler word or fluency issue.

Hamzza

VIP
Puntland has several dialects, look at how Faroole speaks compared to Abdulahi Yusuf AUN, or the distant Bari dialect where they use "naaniin" as a suffix.

Listen to this Caluula, Bari accent

Reer nugaal and reer mudug atleast those in jariiban district also use the niin example: garanaysaaniin, taqaaniin etc.

Thegoodshepherd

Galkacyo iyo Calula dhexdood
VIP
The accent spoken in Fiiq, in the far west of DDSI, is almost identical to the accent spoken in Northern Mudug.

I was very surprised to see that Somalis so far from Galkacyo speak the way I speak.

Jungle

VIP
Mudug dialect is spoken by many clans founder of SNA General Daud Abdulle Xirsi and General Salaad Gabeyre AUN spoke in a strong mudug accent and the 3 SYL members of ours were mostly reer Xarardheere, Mudug.

Besides the Abgaal who live in mudug we have our own dialect known throughout Somalia and a whole lot who are just Reer Mogadishu

Last edited:

Hamzza

VIP
Mudug dialect is spoken by many clans founder of SNA General Daud Abdulle Xirsi and General Salaad Gabeyre AUN spoke in a strong mudug accent and the 3 SYL members of ours were mostly reer Xarardheere, Mudug.

Besides the Abgaal who live in mudug we have our own dialect known throughout Somalia and a whole lot who are just Reer Mogadishu
That is benaadir dialect .
Mudug dialect is spoken by daroods of mudug and adjacent areas in the somali region of ethiopia.

Jungle

VIP
That is benaadir dialect .
Mudug dialect is spoken by daroods of mudug and adjacent areas in the somali region of ethiopia.

Benaadir or hawiye dialect
View attachment 218257
There is no way Af Abgaal (Xayoow) as your map says goes past Hobyo and I'm more than confident that the HG here will back me up. I just said Waceysle in Xarardheere which is before Hobyo speak Mudug dialect. Ceel dheer between Xarardheere is where our dialect ends with Murusade speaking exactly like us and Beelweynta Cayr having influences in their speech.

Reer nugaal and reer mudug atleast those in jariiban district also use the niin example: garanaysaaniin, taqaaniin etc.
That niin is actually part of Somali grammar. It's not exclusive to those regions you mentioned.

Nin= Cunaynin, aqoonin, cabaynin etc.

Niin, siin, aan etc.(plural)=
(Way) taqaan(she knows/feminine)
(Wuu) yaqaan(he knows/masculine)
Taqaaniin(you(plural), feminine)
Yaqaaniin(they, masculine).
The root word is "aqoon", to know or knowledge.

Siin=
(Way/wuu) garan= she/he will know
Garanaysiin(you(plural), feminine)
Garanayaan(they, masculine)
The root word is garasho(to know).

People who tend to say garanaysaaniin, taqaantiin, taqantaa etc. are either illiterate people or young children who still haven't learned Somali naxwe in school or at home.

Last edited:

Most of my relatives speak xaayow but use nooh alot. Alot of the miyi Abubakar wacdan cisman from wanlaweyne , lafoole , lantabuur ,outskirts of merka and Lambar konton have closer accent to between galjecel and bimaal miyi weirdly.
Reer baraawe /haaway (sablale) speak af tuuni and or same somali accent spoken in jazeeradah and old parts of xamar .

convincation

Soomaali waa Hawiyah Iyo Hashiyah
VIP
There is no way Af Abgaal (Xayoow) as your map says goes past Hobyo and I'm more than confident that the HG here will back me up. I just said Waceysle in Xarardheere which is before Hobyo speak Mudug dialect. Ceel dheer between Xarardheere is where our dialect ends with Murusade speaking exactly like us and Beelweynta Cayr having influences in their speech.
I’ve heard Xawadle and gaaljecel from hiran using words like maandhay, nabe, xaa instead of maxaa etc more so then some wacaysles and coastal wacbudhans. Ofcourse there are small differences but I think reer rural hirshabelle speak closer accents to eachother regardless of clan (excluding most Madowweyne) than muqdishaawis who share a accent with eachother be them abgaal or not

Trending