Maay vs Maxaa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Somali is good and so are @Ferrari and @Fiidmeer fluent in Somali
I can't understand Maay Maay it's like listening to a different language.
I understand most of it fine.

It's NOT a different language, just a different and more obscure dialect. it's like the galaswegian accent, most Americans would never understand it. would it be considered a different language?

@Grant give the Blacks in your country more rights first and quit shooting them for breathing before you tell us about marginalization of foreign minorities in our country.

this white oday has some nerve.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
My Somali is good and so are @Ferrari and @Fiidmeer fluent in Somali
I can't understand Maay Maay it's like listening to a different language.

I'm fluent in Somali too. Calling Af Maay a different langauge is wrong. These white folks are trying to divide Somalis. Listen, every ethnic group has dialects so for us Somalis it's no different.

Below is a short Maay song. It's kaban with no drums and I chose this guy's song because he has clear voice, the song is short and the lyrics are kinda simple (compared to most of Samatar & Qoomaal songs, which are usually complicated). I can understand so many words here.

I'm fluent in Somali too. Calling Af Maay a different langauge is wrong. These white folks are trying to divide Somalis. Listen, every ethnic group has dialects so for us Somalis it's no different.

Below is a short Maay song. It's kaban with no drums and I chose this guy's song because he has clear voice, the song is short and the lyrics are kinda simple (compared to most of Samatar & Qoomaal songs, which are usually complicated). So, how much of the lyrics in this song can you write in standard Somali, like the Maxaa-tiri/tidhi Somali?

imagine all the lies he's written about us.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Timo Jareer and proud

2nd Emir of the Akh Right Movement
Aff Maay Maay is easily to understand if you listen hard enough. People over exaggerate the differences between Aff Maay Maay and Aff Maxaa Tiri.

I see the differences between the two as similar to Mandarin and Cantonese.

This is why language vs dialect is political. France the southern French dialects are a different language from northern French (which is standard French) but this would indicate a divide in the French nation so they spent the last 200 years wiping out southern dialects through "correct language" education and refuse to acknowledge any other language other than French.

Language is just one part of a nation, acknowledgement of linguistic differences isn't trying to divide a nation. This is part of why nationalism is a somewhat insane ideology.

@Grant like always tries to distance D&M from other Somalis so in the future they could be used against us just like H.utus and Tutsis. @nine if I focus I can make out the topic and understand some words.

imagine all the lies he's written about us.

white people are evil by nature.

There are White-supremacists just as there are Samaale-supremacists. I don't happen to be one, and I do see American Blacks, including politicians like Barack Obama and Ilhan Omar, doing rather better than Somali Bantus or even the D and M.

The Maay-speakers themselves tell a very different tale from the Maxaa speakers. I did not write this:

http://www.arlaadinet.com/digil-mirifle-history.html

"Digil and Rahawiin are descendants of the earliest wave of Somaloid peoples and also the most southern. Firm evidence for the history of the Somali people dates back to only about 1000 AD. Linguistic, cultural and historical evidence indicates D&M came originally from the southern highlands of what is now Ethiopia. The Somali are from the same broad group of early Cushitic peoples from which the Rendille came. The Somali-Rendille are one broad group with similar language and culture.

The Maay-speaking group came in contact with the northern Bantu peoples on the coast from Mogadishu south and inland and were an initial cause of migration back south of the Swahili and related peoples. Later the Digil and Rahawiin themselves suffered incursions from northern Somalis and then Oromos, the latter from about 1500. D&M maintained trading relations with the Arabs, Persians and remaining Swahilis on the coast, though preserving their nomadic cattle herding.

Digil and Mirifle clans are the descendants of the two sons of Mad Reewin with the Digil being the elder son and the Mirifle the younger son. The Digil settle around the Banadir the Jubba and the Shabelle regions while the descendants of the Mirifle settle around the central and the western portions of the region.

The Mirifle is divided into two main groups the sagaal and the siyeed. The Digil are divided into seven clans known as Todobadii Aw Digil.

These two groups (Digil & Mirifle) are socioculturaly and linguistically different from more nomadic groups of the North."

-------------------------------------------

The politics that have attempted to subjugate the Maay speakers and deny their separate existence are covered following this quote at the same link. The language itself is alive and well. What you are hearing is likely a pidgin, not a creole. There may be added vocabulary, but the grammar and phonetics are still there.

There are White-supremacists just as there are Samaale-supremacists. I don't happen to be one, and I do see American Blacks, including politicians like Barack Obama and Ilhan Omar, doing rather better than Somali Bantus or even the D and M.

The Maay-speakers themselves tell a very different tale from the Maxaa speakers. I did not write this:

"Digil and Rahawiin are descendants of the earliest wave of Somaloid peoples and also the most southern. Firm evidence for the history of the Somali people dates back to only about 1000 AD. Linguistic, cultural and historical evidence indicates D&M came originally from the southern highlands of what is now Ethiopia. The Somali are from the same broad group of early Cushitic peoples from which the Rendille came. The Somali-Rendille are one broad group with similar language and culture.

The Maay-speaking group came in contact with the northern Bantu peoples on the coast from Mogadishu south and inland and were an initial cause of migration back south of the Swahili and related peoples. Later the Digil and Rahawiin themselves suffered incursions from northern Somalis and then Oromos, the latter from about 1500. D&M maintained trading relations with the Arabs, Persians and remaining Swahilis on the coast, though preserving their nomadic cattle herding.

Digil and Mirifle clans are the descendants of the two sons of Mad Reewin with the Digil being the elder son and the Mirifle the younger son. The Digil settle around the Banadir the Jubba and the Shabelle regions while the descendants of the Mirifle settle around the central and the western portions of the region.

The Mirifle is divided into two main groups the sagaal and the siyeed. The Digil are divided into seven clans known as Todobadii Aw Digil.

These two groups (Digil & Mirifle) are socioculturaly and linguistically different from more nomadic groups of the North."

The politics that have attempted to subjugate the Maay speakers and deny their separate existence are covered following this quote at the same link. The language itself is alive and well. What you are hearing is likely a pidgin, not a creole. There may be added vocabulary, but the grammar and phonetics are still there.

:drakekidding:

The first bantus in Somalia came as slaves less than 200 years ago. I see you are still peddling this false narrative.:draketf:

As for the raxanwayn, worse things have been done to other major clans.

Isaaqs got bombed, a fate the raxanwayn did not suffer. Hawiye were oppressed under the barre regime, many of their intellectuals shot and imprisoned. Darood were victims of a clan cleansing campaign by hawiye and others. Again, all fates the raxanwayn did NOT suffer.

Raxanwayn are a Somali clan, in their country. They don't need you advocating for them.

We somalis oppress each other, and we don't hold grudge feel the need to cry about it like the niggars found in your country. Everyone gets their turn.

You probably voted for Trump. save us the fake tears.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP

Fake source. Bring a researched link next time you clown instead of resorting to Wikipedia and blogs. Nobody takes you seriously here.

What is Samaale? There is Somali which includes Rahanweyn and that's all you need to know.

Aff Maay Maay is easily to understand if you listen hard enough. People over exaggerate the differences between Aff Maay Maay and Aff Maxaa Tiri.

I see the differences between the two as similar to Mandarin and Cantonese.
That's a bad example as Mandarin and Cantonese are completely different languages and not mutually intelligible at all. Maay is more intelligible by Maxaa than Cantonese is intelligible from a Mandarin speaker.

Timo Jareer and proud

That's a bad example as Mandarin and Cantonese are completely different languages and not mutually intelligible at all. Maay is more intelligible by Maxaa than Cantonese is intelligible from a Mandarin speaker.
That's why I typed similar. Aff Maay Maay was a different language to Aff Maxaa Tiri in tell recently.

Timo Jareer and proud

Somalis have been in South Somalia for over ~3,000 years.
Somalis have only been around for 1300 years max. We migrated to southern Somalia in the 9th century and captured Mogadishu and southern Somalia from the southern Cushites and either mixed with them to the point of extinction or assimilated them.

https://www.pdx.edu/multicultural-topics-communication-sciences-disorders/maay-maay-somali-bantu

"Both languages served as official languages until 1972 when the government determined that Af Maxaa would be the official written language in Somalia. This decision further isolated and hindered southerners, including the Bantu, from participating in mainstream Somali politics, government services, and education. Af Maay and Af Maxaa share some similarities in their written form but are different enough in their spoken forms as to be mutually unintelligible."

"The letters p, jh, gh, ng and yc are used to represent sounds common in Af Maay are considered. They are also not found in the Af Maxaa alphabet.

P always occurs in the middle of the word and it sounds similar to the 'p' in the English alphabet (e.g., apaal, 'gratitude'; hopoog, 'scarf').

Jh is guttural and sounds like j (e.g., jheer, 'shyness'; jhab, 'fracture').

Th is pronounced as in 'the' in English (e.g., mathal, 'appointment'; etheb, 'politeness').

Gh sounds like the letter 'gain' of the Arabic alphabet (e.g., dhaghar, 'deceive'; shughul, job').

Ng is similar to the sound of 'ing' in English (e.g., angkaar, 'curse'; oong, 'thirst').

Ieh is a common ending on nouns and verbs. However, the letter 'y' is commonly used among Af Maay writers to represent this sound.

• Maghy 'Noun'Misgy 'Sorghum'
  • Maaycy 'Ocean'
  • Jyny 'Heaven'
  • Shyny 'Bee'
  • Myfathaaw 'I do not want it'
Yc, a sound found in the word signore, bsogno, and agnello in the Italian language, is also a source of controversy. This sound is universally found in many Asian and African languages and in some Af Maay scripts this sound is represented as either ny or gn.

• Ycaaycuur 'cat'Maaycy 'ocean'
  • Ycuuycy 'name of a person'
  • Ycisaang 'the youngest'
  • Myyceeg 'feeble'"
------------------------------------------------------

The Somali languages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somali_languages

Many af maxaa speakers also use the "p" sound like apti (uncle), arap ( clan) and carapka (tongue). They just replaced it with "b" which is the correct pronunciation. Almost all of these sounds exist in af maxaa.

The "th" and "ng" are also not unique to af maay.
We also say ingkaar as in "ingkaar ha kuu dhacdo"- may you be cursed and etheb as in "etheb yeelo"-be polite. The first word replaces n with ng, while the second word replaces d with th.

More examples are the words bethel/bedel which means change and warsangeli pronounced warsang-geli or warsan-geli.

These are just alternative pronounciations.

Fake source. Bring a researched link next time you clown instead of resorting to Wikipedia and blogs. Nobody takes you seriously here.

What is Samaale? There is Somali which includes Rahanweyn and that's all you need to know.

That's a Digil and Mirifle website, which you would have realized if you had actually looked at it, and it clearly does not agree with you.. Lumping everybody together is one of the things the Maay speakers complain about. They make it quite clear they are a different group:

You should be much more concerned about your usual lack of links at all and your usage of the fake Somali pages on Wikipedia:

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/yusuf-and-ahmad.48176/#post-1320180

You don't know what a Samaale supremacist is? Look in a mirror.

Factz

Factzopedia
VIP
That's a Digil and Mirifle website, which you would have realized if you had actually looked at it, and it clearly does not agree with you.. Lumping everybody together is one of the things the Maay speakers complain about. They make it quite clear they are a different group:

You should be much more concerned about your usual lack of links at all and your usage of the fake Somali pages on Wikipedia:

https://www.somalispot.com/threads/yusuf-and-ahmad.48176/#post-1320180

You don't know what a Samaale supremacist is? Look in a mirror.

I have debunked you a thousand times and you've been exposed as a liar and being a revisionist. I know many Rahanweyn people and they all consider themselves Somali. What you're saying is absolutely unheard off and completely bullshit.

Everyone knows I have shown you authentic sources but all you do is deny and show off blogs that have been made by you or Wikipeida pages that have been edited by you. You're pathetic.

Just remember Rahanweyn believe their lineage is sab. Both Samaale and Sab are the sons of Hiil. (Father of all Somalis). They are also more nationalistic and less tribalisitc than other Somalis.

@Apollo @Ferrari You ever heard Rahanweyn denying their ethnicity? Why does this lunatic make shit up?

@Grant intentions and ill-will towards Somalis is clear. He is hell bent on discrediting and dividing Somalis. Just look through his post history to learn about him.

Rahanweyn are just as Somali as any other clan, no doubt, they are very proud Somalis too. Its silly to even entertain his nonsense.

Apollo

VIP
Somalis have only been around for 1300 years max. We migrated to southern Somalia in the 9th century and captured Mogadishu and southern Somalia from the southern Cushites and either mixed with them to the point of extinction or assimilated them.

proto-Somalis then. Same thing to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.