Lowland East Cushitic migration

Sixiroole10

Suldaanka Reer Bicidyahan
No. Cafar and Saho speakers appear to be are from further North, near RedSea
Thats what i believed too. That they split from us in Eritrea & that our proto south east cushitic ancestors then moved south to Ethiopia. Is there proof off this though?
Cushitic stratigraphy.jpg

Sixiroole10

Most other east Cushitic speakers like the Yakku/Dullay & Burji live in that whole southern Ethiopia area in line with the view that the language group originated there, only Afar/Saho are the anomalies & ive seen some claim theyre recent migrants to Eritrea

Most other east Cushitic speakers like the Yakku/Dullay & Burji live in that whole southern Ethiopia area in line with the view that the language group originated there, only Afar/Saho are the anomalies & ive seen some claim theyre recent migrants to Eritrea

2 other Somaloid groups, Rendille and Garre have live in the general vicinity of Southern Ethiopia/Northern Kenya forever

Sixiroole10

Yes, they originated from the omo-tana area. Proto-Somali tribes But it's odd, Somalis don't seem to have much osmotic DNA compared to other lowland cushites the Oromos and the Afars.
Afar dont have much Omotic either which kinda helps the argument that theyre not from southern Ethiopia

Apollo

VIP
@Sixiroole10

No,

Lowland East Cushitic originated either in the current Afar or Somali territories and they subsequently replaced Omotics in Southwest Ethiopia. It did not originate in Southern Ethiopia. Otherwise Afars, Somalilanders, Puntlanders would score much more Omotic while they have practically zero of this.

The name is also a good clue: Lowland East Cushitic.

The Cushitic language family ultimately comes from the north (North Sudan, parts of upper Egypt and Eritrea).

Last edited:

Sixiroole10

@Sixiroole10

No,

Lowland East Cushitic originated either in the current Afar or Somali territories and they subsequently replaced Omotics in Southwest Ethiopia. It did not originate in Southern Ethiopia.

The name is also a good clue: Lowland East Cushitic.

The Cushitic language family ultimately comes from the north (North Sudan, parts of upper Egypt and Eritrea).
Do you have any sources for this that i can read/would back this up against the south east Ethiopia theory. Plus how long have Afar/Saho been in Eritrea

Apollo

VIP
Do you have any sources for this. Plus how long have Afar/Saho been in Eritrea

Plenty of genetic studies I have analyzed in the past.

Those groups like the Daasanach and El Molo are extremely far removed from Somalis genetically and have high levels (autosomally) of South Sudan type Nilotic & Southwest Ethiopian type of Omotic ancestry (those two components are practically absent in ethnic Somalis).

It is more parsimonious that LE Cushitic originated either in the Afar lands, Ogadenia, or Somalia and then moved into Southwest Ethiopia than vice versa.

In this thread I also hypothesized that Oromos came from Somalis than the other way around:

Sixiroole10

Somalis in general don't either, so why'd you assume this for them and not for us ? I believe we all come from southern Ethiopia tbh
Idk i figured that we originated somewhere in Ethiopia but not southern Ethiopia.

Last edited:
Somalis just like Anfar originate from the south red sea area, Djibouti to Puntland.
We have nothing to do with southern Ethiopia.

But it will be interesting to see in future, who is not part of the Somali E-Y17859. that means
anyone or Clan who do not carry this lineage is assimilated.

Apollo

VIP
Somalis in general don't either, so why'd you assume this for them and not for us ? I believe we all come from southern Ethiopia tbh

I believe ethnic Somalis and the proto-Somali language come from Southern Somalia.

It is way more likely than the Southern Ethiopia theory. I reject that hypothesis.

I believe ethnic Somalis and the proto-Somali language come from Southern Somalia.

It is way more likely than the Southern Ethiopia theory. I reject that hypothesis.

Consider this one more time:

1589997612165.png

1589997774985.png

V32 joins E1b1b in the Beja/Kush area of eastern Sudan, but gets to southern Somalia. The Blue Nile begins/ends in Lake Tana, near the head of the Shabelle/Dawa/Genale/Jubba watershed. It makes good sense to me that the V32 proto-Somalis would have followed the Blue Nile and then found the rivers to take them into Somalia. Based on linguistic data, Christopher Ehret says the language that became Maxaa/Maay originated in the Dawa drainage tributary to the Jubba, eventually separating in the Afgoye area at the Shabelle bend.

This route avoids the Omo entirely, but ends up in the South.

Last edited:

Apollo

VIP
Consider this one more time:

View attachment 118863

View attachment 118865

V32 joins E1b1b in the Beja/Kush area of eastern Sudan, but gets to southern Somalia. The Blue Nile begins/ends in Lake Tana, near the head of the Shabelle/Dawa/Genale/Jubba watershed. It makes good sense to me that the V32 proto-Somalis would have followed the Blue Nile and then found the rivers to take them into Somalia. Based on linguistic data, Christopher Ehret says the language that became Maxaa/Maay originated in the Dawa drainage tributary to the Jubba, eventually separating in the Afgoye area at the Shabelle bend.

This route avoids the Omo entirely, but ends up in the South.

I disregard this as Somalis (unadmixed, especially in the North) lack both Mota specific ancestry nor have Kenya LSA (Late Stone Age - Kenya specific hunter-gatherers). Furthermore, the Nilo-Saharan autosomal ancestry of Somalis is specific to an extinct type that lived in North Sudan (lacking in Central African). Somalis do not carry South Sudanese type of Nilo-Saharan autosomal ancestry (there is an observable difference - in South Sudan they have a Central African affinity).

Only the NE Sudan → Eritrea → Danakil → Ogadenia → Somalia route makes sense.

Mind you, Afar-Saho is linguistically more basal (higher up in divergence) in LE Cushitic than those Southwest Ethiopian LE-C speakers. Lastly, SW Ethiopian LE-C speakers can be genetically modeled as Somali + other groups (Omotic usually), while Somalis cannot be modeled as them + something else.

I disregard this as Somalis (unadmixed, especially in the North) lack both Mota specific ancestry nor have Kenya LSA (Late Stone Age - Kenya specific hunter-gatherers). Furthermore, the Nilo-Saharan autosomal ancestry of Somalis is specific to an extinct type that lived in North Sudan (lacking in Central African). Somalis do not carry South Sudanese type of Nilo-Saharan autosomal ancestry (there is an observable difference - in South Sudan they have a Central African affinity).

Only the NE Sudan → Eritrea → Danakil → Ogadenia → Somalia route makes sense.

Mind you, Afar-Saho is linguistically more basal (higher up in divergence) in LE Cushitic than those Southwest Ethiopian LE-C speakers. Lastly, SW Ethiopian LE-C speakers can be genetically modeled as Somali + other groups (Omotic usually), while Somalis cannot be modeled as them + something else.

The Blue Nile diverges from the Nile at Khartoum, so there is no connection to south Sudan, the Omo or Kenya. We are talking about northeast Sudan to Lake Tana to the Jubba/Shabelle watersheds. The SW Ethiopian LE-C speakers can be part of an earlier migration that followed the White Nile rather than the Blue.

If V32 goes the Eritrea/Ogaden route, how can you say Somalis originate in the South?

Apollo

VIP
The Blue Nile diverges from the Nile at Khartoum, so there is no connection to south Sudan, the Omo or Kenya. We are talking about northeast Sudan to Lake Tana to the Jubba/Shabelle watersheds. The SW Ethiopian LE-C speakers can be part of an earlier migration that followed the White Nile rather than the Blue.

Still unlikely, because of heavy Mota influence in those regions (Central Ethiopia). Also, Somalis are the only major ethnic group in the Horn totally lacking Mota's signature paternal lineage E-M329. It is not even found as a minor lineage (like how E-V16 is found in Somalis). All Oromos have some E-M329.

If V32 goes the Eritrea/Ogaden route, how can you say Somalis originate in the South?

Because they likely spent a few thousand years there. Perhaps from 3,000 BCE all the way to 0 CE. This also explains why Somali-like languages are more diverse in the Southern direction. But then again, you got nomadism in the North which could have caused linguistic homogenization more rapidly.

Still unlikely, because of heavy Mota influence in those regions (Central Ethiopia). Also, Somalis are the only major ethnic group in the Horn totally lacking Mota's signature paternal lineage E-M329. It is not even found as a minor lineage (like how E-V16 is found in Somalis). All Oromos have some E-M329.

Because they likely spent a few thousand years there. Perhaps from 3,000 BCE all the way to 0 CE. This also explains why Somali-like languages are more diverse in the Southern direction. But then again, you got nomadism in the North which could have caused linguistic homogenization more rapidly.

Mota cave is in the southwest of Ethiopia. Mota Man is most closely related to the Aari of the Omo valley, also in the southwest and not far from the putative Oromo heartland in the southeast. Lake Tana is in the northwest, where a route to the Jubba/Shabelle headwaters need not involve anything to the extreme south or west. I have already eliminated south Sudan, Kenya and the Omo, so I suspect you are splitting hairs. A migration from Lake Tana to the Shabelle/Jubba headwaters could have been made without picking up a lot of extraneous genetic material, including Mota.

Trending

Latest posts