Love is a prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know. I think there are many back home (though they are mediocre, compared to international standards) and even if they published them online it would be hit for them. No one has time to listen to shitty online radios or even the more ridiculous so-called Somali TV stations. With the online newspapers, almost everyone has a "smartphone" these days and you have the option to read or skip whatever content you want whenever you want. Apart from HiiraanOnline, I think the most popular Somali websites are these types of forums.

A smart entrepreneur could make a killing from an advanced, state-of-the-art internet news and social network hub for Somalis. We Somalis bloody live and breath "War maxaa la sheegay" and worshiping our favorite god 'qab+iil' so facilitating such a network could bring a lot of $$, just from the ads.

Hmm! This just gave me an idea so I might need to make few calls now. Thanks Shamis for helping me with an unplanned brainstorming. lol

S

Shamis

@SomaliSpotter

I hate idaacad and I hate fake news websites who run with one gimmick like state news sites. We need one that reports everything preferably in both languages. Journalists in Somalia would write the Somali part for few cents an article.

Wishing you all the best - I really hope you do it and I hope its worth the effort - which it should be if its impartial and up to the minute.

Nah! Was just talking shit, mate. As usual. lol

Well, the only one that's close to what you've described is HO (Hiiraan Online, which publishes both English and Somali) and the rest are just shit!

S

Shamis

Hiiraan are cool but their website needs updating urgently.
You never know - you might take their trade. They make a small profit - the articles are all free I think. They seem like a platform for journalists trying to make a name for themselves and they make change from advertising. Amiin Caamir is the smartest dude out there - he turned the news cartoon into a profitable business.

O yeah! Amin Amir is a smart artist and business person. The guy has been making those cartoons since the 80's back in Xamar and shit like that takes some real talent and skills.

There are really many ways to make money from Somalis but it needs patience, dedication and self-discipline. Unfortunately, those traits are some of my biggest weaknesses.

I am not sure about the safety and the level of risk but I hear the folks who went back home in Xamar, Hargeisa and Bosaso etc, or even those who moved to other African countries are making a lot of money. And here we are surviving from payday to payday. FML!

S

Shamis

Yes I get shocked when I see old pictures from Muqdisho in his style! He's drawn the only Somalia our generation know. He might be the only real cartoonist we have because all the rest are poor copies of his style.

Good luck becoming rich if you lack those attributes! :p I know they're hiding somewhere there! The risk is high with Somalis seeing as we are really frugal people. We like making money, not spending it. Somalis in other parts of Africa live a totally different life to us consumerist westerners. They don't waste a penny and they live in mansions, have private schooling and they just get richer. I can't live out there full time but I'd definitely want to get a slice of that pie. I figured it out - Its the salaad I swear the timing of the morning prayer just puts you in a good bedtime routine and you don't waste time. Almost all the wealthy Somalis in Africa are wadaads.

I agree that our paycheck life is sad - beyond pitiful but everything in these countries has been done long before we arrived - we should spend our time being innovative and disciplined though - never know where an idea might take you.

Though there are good opportunities in Somalia and in some other African countries like SA, still their unpredictable nature is scary. Almost every other month you hear some big explosion went off in the heart of Mogadishu or a Somali businessman was mercilessly killed in SA etc. If you are lucky you can make it rain but still it's very risky. For now I would put up with the rat race and see which direction things will head in Somalia in the next couple of years. Heck, I don't even mind to wait and see until the end of the decade; for another 5 years. If it's still chaotic and mad then I'll probably never set foot in Somalia ever again and will have to properly settle where I am now for good.
:kobeok:

S

Shamis

Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda and West Africa are safer than SA and Muqdisho, and you can still make money in the right markets, especially real estate like building a malll and renting space in it. I don't blame you for drawing a line under it by 2020. At least Qabiil is over though and diinta cidna ma isku haysata so I hope kabaab disintegrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending