Let’s talk money in marriage

So I was watching ‘millennial money’ on YouTube in a new effort to unlearn my very Somali,’aduunyo waa laba maalin’ approach of managing money. Money stresses me out so for too long I refused to budget or even spare a thought to what my expenses possibly looked like.
Anyway, so there was this young couple (gaal) and they literally split everything down the middle. Even when they do their weekly shop, these two get the cashier to split the bill at the till. I didn’t even do that with my housemates all the time bisinka.

Anyway alx ilahey made me Somali but for those of you who are married and working, what do you really do regarding money? I know there is a lot of booto and fronting done by people but what’s the reality on the ground?

I did relatively well for myself in terms of money/career but erm I cannot fathom splitting bills with a grown man. In my head, I‘m essentially paying for the roof over his head and his food and well that won’t fare too well in terms of the future of that relationship.
However, if I were to work and make good money, and then proceed to tuck away all that money, a little part of me would perhaps feel a teeny weeny bit bad. Esp if living costs are high.

I guess it would come down to the type of lifestyle you’d want to live but honestly I think I’d much rather live a simpler life than take on the providing role with him (eww) and tbh I don’t really work for the money but for other more erm, ...altruistic reasons let’s say.
So eventually when I have kids I do plan to pause/halt work (because motherhood is a full time job in itself and public schooling is a scam) but until then what to do if I make money but don’t want to be the man???

Sigh...times like this I wish my awoowe didn’t run away from the baadiyo so that I could’ve lived the nomad life in Xanan Bure.
But here we are.
Unprecedented times perhaps call for contemporary solutions.
So I’m all ears.

What is the solution?

Last edited:

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
So I was watching ‘millennial money’ on YouTube in a new effort to unlearn my very Somali,’aduunyo waa laba maalin’ approach of managing money. Money stresses me out so for too long I refused to budget or even spare a thought to what my expenses possibly looked like.
Anyway, so there was this young couple (gaal) and they literally split everything down the middle. Even when they do their weekly shop, these two get the cashier to split the bill at the till. I didn’t even do that with my housemates all the time bisinka.

Anyway alx ilahey made me Somali but for those of you who are married and working, what do you really do regarding money? I know there is a lot of booto and fronting done by people but what’s the reality on the ground?

I did relatively well for myself in terms of money/career but erm I cannot fathom splitting bills with a grown man. In my head, I‘m essentially paying for the roof over his head and his food and well that won’t fare too well in terms of the future of that relationship.
However, if I were to work and make good money, and then proceed to tuck away all that money, a little part of me would perhaps feel a teeny weeny bit bad. Esp if living costs are high.

I guess it would come down to the type of lifestyle you’d want to live but honestly I think I’d much rather not work than take on the providing role with him (eww) and tbh I don’t really work for the money but for other more erm, ...altruistic reasons let’s say.
So eventually when I have kids I do plan to pause/halt work (because motherhood is a full time job in itself and public schooling is a scam) but until then what to do if I make money but don’t want to be the man???

Sigh...times like this I wish my awoowe didn’t run away from the baadiyo so that I could’ve lived the nomad life in Xanan Bure.
But here we are.
Unprecedented times perhaps contemporary solutions.
So I’m all ears.

What is the solution?
Find a man that earn why more then you simplz

Lostbox

「Immortal Sage」| Qabil-fluid
VIP
How did you decide that split?
Whoever make more pays more. If you have similar income it would probably be 50/50 but that used by people that are dating not married so your probably going to have a shared account anyway why would you needs to split things individually?

Your a women don't you know married couples? Joinit account, informing your partner of big purchase, small personal account for fun money, sharing debt an so on

Last edited:
This is why I took a Financial Accounting course for this year lmao. Knew this would eventually bite me in the ass sooner or late if I haven't done so. Sorry about this luv inshallah your future husband got your back. :pachah1:

Bronco

GEELJIRE WITH NO GEEL
I'm not married. All the married people I do know split the bill informally. Not exactly down the middle, but both partners contribute financially.

Personally I think it would depend on her income. I'm perfectly content with taking on the majority of the financial burden, but it is highly dependent on what she brings home and the home keeping situation. I honestly would not tolerate the idea of a working woman that makes a reasonable wage hamstering her entire income away and leaving me to deal with the rest. It strikes me as deeply selfish and more importantly detached from the real world.

I do not like the idea of tabling out who pays for what down to the penny. I'd like to keep it relatively informal while being pragmatic.

Gambar

VIP
That’s why you have a joint account, pay the bills like the mortgage, utilities, car payment, food etc. together. Then save with another separate account.

Millennial Money is all entertainment at the end of the day, take what you see with a grain of salt. 75% are actors and or don’t actually practice what they preach with money

J-Rasta

Inactivated
VIP
Most married couples have shared bank accounts , yes the women too are not only housewives but have a role on their husbands stores and set up kiosks.
Even that stresses them out , they'd argue all the time . The man then proceeds to create savings account but his wife will find out, they would argue she would insist to place it on hagbad , which he refuses , then they proceed to argue its a common problem
Smart single men go back home to marry , ,provides bill to his children and wife back home .

Most married couples end up in divorce , but those who married back home , their relationship are still intact, once he imports his family to South Africa that's when he'll face bigger problems.

:what1:
paying for a roof over his head kulahaa like she doesn't live there.
50/50 is the best thing the cadaan man came up with. This makes sure both parties avoid divorce as much as they can since they've made an investment.

fella: if you pay all the bills from day one, now u gonna be the lil saving the marriage because of all the money you invested, while she can walk out at any point and lose nothing.
trap that , and let her go bankrupt if the marriage fails instead of you losing everything and starting from scratch while she's aaite, with her money stacked up.

dr.leorio

death\emitter
I don't mind providing for everything since I was brought up that way. My mother was a homemaker and my dad worked so she didn't have to lift a finger.

The thing is, I have yet to find a women worthy of what my father did in this modern era. I'll probably end up marrying back home because of the lack of quality in the west. And even though I don't condone the 50/50 method I certainly do understand it.

If the woman wants to take her rights and not split the bills, the man can take his rights and tell the woman to stay home and look after the kids.

Compromise is a two way street innit

Trending