Learning Somali

Umm so as a kid I spoke english with my parents and siblings I didn't understand Somali. I feel like it's such a shame as I can't communicate with my grandparents properly. Does anyone know any websites or channels that teach Somali to English speakers. I'm practising with my mom at home alot but I don't feel it's enough.

AishaBarri

It’s not that serious

Someone recommended this website to me. He’s a prof at university of Hargeisa from what I’ve heard. Check it out and hope it’s helpful.

Sadly there’s not much resources to learn Somali online, but it’s never too late to learn practice by speaking Somali to family members that will help.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member

Someone recommended this website to me. He’s a prof at university of Hargeisa from what I’ve heard. Check it out and hope it’s helpful.

Mohamed is also on itaki.com (a language tutoring website). Along with another Tutor who is based in Mogadishu.

https://www.italki.com/teachers/somali?hl=en

By the way, Somali language is a skill one can learn. And not something one should be ashamed of for not having mastered. Everyone starts at ground zero.

Jungle

VIP
Try find a somali to english dictionary then work on pronunciation and how to construct sentences. Its not like you're learning Spanish so if you wanna learn fr you can do it. Parents will encourage you anyway.

AishaBarri

It’s not that serious
I just checked, and it's way too expensive, it works out to be £25 per lesson, and your going to need a ton of lessons if your a beginner like me
It is pricy. It’s proper classes tho. Teaching yourself through other methods might be harder but it’s up to you

AishaBarri

It’s not that serious
You got mocked didn’t you :lolbron:
Not at all lol. They were very nice to me telling me I should learn, get married before I leave which would help me learn in their mind. If I was a man they would have probably roasted me. It’s good to be a woman sometimes :ehh:

Not at all lol. They were very nice to me telling me I should learn, get married before I leave which would help me learn in their mind. If I was a man they would have probably roasted me. It’s good to be a woman sometimes :ehh:
Simping has finally reached Somalia :drakekidding:

AishaBarri

It’s not that serious
Really they know how to treat a woman the same ones who beat their women like there’s no tomorrow :ftw9nwa:
Is that the norm or are you just generalizing? I’m talking about how they talk to and treat women with respect. It’s the culture back home. They might have misogynistic views but they are protective of women - pros and cons

Trending