Kerman aDNA=Kenyan Pastoralists?

Here, we successfully reconstruct and analyse genome-wide data from the naturally mummified hair of a 4000-year-old individual from Sudan in northeastern Africa, after failed attempts at DNA extraction from teeth, petrous, and cranium of this and other individuals from the site of Kadruka. We find that hair DNA extracted with an established single-stranded library protocol is unusually enriched in ultra-short DNA molecules and exhibits substantial interior molecular damage. The aDNA was nonetheless amenable to genetic analyses, which revealed that the genome is genetically indistinguishable from that of early Neolithic eastern African pastoralists located 2500 kilometres away. Our findings support established models for the southwards dispersal of Middle Nile Valley pastoral populations to the Rift Valley of eastern Africa, and provide the first direct evidence for a genetic source population for this dispersal. Our study highlights the value of mummified hair as an alternate source of aDNA from regions with poor bone preservation.
So, they were similar to these guys?
Wouldn’t it mean the Neolithic pastoralists did not mix further with Proto-Nilotic peoples?

Last edited:
The main issue here is that the scholars didn’t mention “which sample from the pastoralist paper”.
However, if they mean “exactly identical” , then it would imply Mota-related peoples had a strong presence in Sudan…which is as well interesting.

The main issue here is that the scholars didn’t mention “which sample from the pastoralist paper”.
However, if they mean “exactly identical” , then it would imply Mota-related peoples had a strong presence in Sudan…which is as well interesting.
Like I said in the other thread, I'd assume it's identical from the lens of it being a source. Mota was completely absent from all Kulubnarti samples bar one.

Like I said in the other thread, I'd assume it's identical from the lens of it being a source. Mota was completely absent from all Kulubnarti samples bar one.
So are you implying they’re basically just the earlier population (the hypothesized PCA position )?
How likely do you think we’d find Mota in Kermans?

So are you implying they’re basically just the earlier population (the hypothesized PCA position )?
How likely do you think we’d find Mota in Kermans?
I assume that's what they mean, yeah. We'll just have to wait for the full study.

Close to a zero percent chance lol. Mota, osteologically and genetically, was a highlander through and through. If we do find Mota-related ancestry in Kermans, it will only speak to the expanse of the migrations of the SPN.

Thanks for the replies, right now I’m
just baffled because these geneticist are taking too long to hand out a paper.
Like, I suppose data regarding the next big AE study will come out next year (two years after 2021), but since the Kerman individual was reported this year, I dunno.
Also, god knows how long until we get Al-Khiday, Badarian, Naqada, A-Group, C-Group as well as all those studies involving ancient paleo Berbers (Tenerian, Afalou, and for god’s sake the Capsians…etc, or were the Capsians studied already?) .
Hell, what about the ancient “Berber port” that supposedly existed in Somalia?
Man, I really got issues. Imagine being obsessed with greater North African (NE and NW) genetics yet being an East Asian. 😬😂🤔

Thanks for the replies, right now I’m
just baffled because these geneticist are taking too long to hand out a paper.
Like, I suppose data regarding the next big AE study will come out next year (two years after 2021), but since the Kerman individual was reported this year, I dunno.
Also, god knows how long until we get Al-Khiday, Badarian, Naqada, A-Group, C-Group as well as all those studies involving ancient paleo Berbers (Tenerian, Afalou, and for god’s sake the Capsians…etc, or were the Capsians studied already?) .
Hell, what about the ancient “Berber port” that supposedly existed in Somalia?
Man, I really got issues. Imagine being obsessed with greater North African (NE and NW) genetics yet being an East Asian. 😬😂🤔
I feel the exact same lol, though I have every reason to be obsessed. Is there any way you could give me a rundown on the studies being done as of now regarding NE Africa?

I will list the studies I’m keeping an eye on.
Most of it is listed in the page provided above.

Basically, there will be another AE study covering both Upper & Lower Egypt with the time frame being Third Intermediate Period-Roman period. The geneticists will sample tons of people and provide full genome results. It’s straight and forward, they want to know who those guys were.

After that, it will be the study done by Urban Christian et Al which sampled from 6 different sites and “covered the entire EG Nile valley”.
The catch is I don’t think those people would sample from Aswan, but that’s fair in a way. To avoid further controversy. Also these Germans were more subtle about the goals for this study (just look at the title), so there’s that.

Then, you’d get the carbon dating results from the Polish team, giving us comprehensive details of the aurochs found in Sudan.

After that it’s everyone’s guess.

But, there will likely be full-genome samples from ancient Kush, the literal Kangz XD (forgive me if that sounds offensive), it’s brought up on Twitter. Unless I’m missing something, the data have not been released yet.

Know that it might not be in the exact order when these papers are FINALLY released.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Trending