Jubaland and Its Inhabitants by F.Elliot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sultan

I am the Sultan
The Biimaal and the Gosha do not intermarry. People confuse the Bantus that identify as Biimaal with the mainly pastoralist Biimaal that mainly inhabit the coastal areas from Jammaame district to Marka district. Similar to the former plantation slaves of the US, the Bantus adopted the clan identity of their owners. The Non-Gosha Bantu have forgotten their origins and claim the clan identity of their former masters in Lower Shabelle and parts of Lower Jubba

The Biimaal intermarry a lot with the Bantus.They are lots of Madow Biimal clans that doesn't mean the Biimaal are Madow. The overwhelming majority of the Biimaal are Pure Somalis of Dir Origin.They settle between Jaamaame and Merca though the Tunni of Baraawe settles in between .

The Degoodi came South after the Darood.

The Garre had turned against the Boran and allied with the Darood. They were in Jubbaland before the Darood, so were the Ajuuran. In Gedo, the Gasargude were the first to establish a Sultanate centred in Lugh. They were the Royal subclan of the Raxanweyn, and were an off-shoot of the Geledi dynasty that dominated Southern Somalia.

The Bardheere Jamaca was founded by a Digil/Mirifle rival of the Geledi dynasty. It was predominately non-Darood and regularly called for jihad against the Gaalo Madoow.

The Gasaargude are the ones who openly welcomed the Marehan(Ree Guri) while the Boran ,Garre and others refused.The Marehan praised the Gasaargude with this famed saying "Gasaargude waa gobta Raxaweyn".When the new wave of Galti Marehan came ,They dominated Gedo and pushed the Garre,Borana into NFD

How Cawlyahan and Marehan pushed Garre and Degodiya into Nfd"

"Over .the years, the Adjurans were subjected to constant raids by hoth the Degodia and the Ogadene especially the wars waged by the Rer Afgab Auliyahan and the Marehan, forced the Degodia to migrate to the Garreh country in
the vicinity of Mandera of what was to become the Kenya Colony"

http://www.worldcat.org/title/darod...ern-frontier-district-of-kenya/oclc/419832916

Last edited:

Sultan

I am the Sultan
Have the Mushunguli moved?

I am not talking about the hinterland, which is not useful for farming peoples. This is a 1977 clan map representing the period before the Abaar Dabadheer. You will notice the Biyomaal in the coastal strip above Kismayo. When I was in Jilib the Mayor was Gosha, Mohammed Shek Suleyman. At more than a million strong, do you really think the Madow they can be ignored ?

map-somalia-clans-1977.jpg

This map is quite accurate but it has its own shortcomings.

Baajuni dominating Kismayo and the Sounern coastal areas??????

The part that has the HARTI name in the map is Badhaadhe district locally known as Joreey region.It is settled by Maqaabul and Abdallah clans .Similarly, The part Labelled red is NOT baajuni territory .it is settled by numerous clans such as the Harti,Marehan ,Gaaljecel and Cawrmaleh.

The Baajun has no significant presence in Jubaland.

The Biimaal intermarry a lot with the Bantus.They are lots of Madow Biimal clans that doesn't mean the Biimaal are Madow. The overwhelming majority of the Biimaal are Pure Somalis of Dir Origin.They settle between Jaamaame and Merca though the Tunni of Baraawe settles in between .

Dude, have you lived among the Biimaal? They have a stratified social structure. The Bantu clients of the Biimaal and the proper Biimaal do not intermarry. You might find the odd Biimaal male who decides to get Jiggy with a Bantu but there is no way in hell a Bantu is allowed to marry a Biimaal woman. Bare in mind that most of the client Bantus are found in Lower Shabelle, the Biimaal's of Lower Jubba do not possess a large client Bantu population as the Gosha are composed of free slaves. Moreover, the Gaadsan Biimal of Bakool and Gedo do not also have any Bantu slaves. Nor do the Gaadsan Biimaal that live among the Ogaden in NFD/Lower Jubba. Like I said, one should differentiate between Biimaal Habash/Madow and Biimaal proper. The same applies to most of the former slave owning clans in South Somalia.

The Biimaal and the Gosha do not intermarry. People confuse the Bantus that identify as Biimaal with the mainly pastoralist Biimaal that mainly inhabit the coastal areas from Jammaame district to Marka district. Similar to the former plantation slaves of the US, the Bantus adopted the clan identity of their owners. The Non-Gosha Bantu have forgotten their origins and claim the clan identity of their former masters in Lower Shabelle and parts of Lower Jubba.

The Garre had turned against the Boran and allied with the Darood. They were in Jubbaland before the Darood, so were the Ajuuran. In Gedo, the Gasargude were the first to establish a Sultanate centred in Lugh. They were the Royal subclan of the Raxanweyn, and were an off-shoot of the Geledi dynasty that dominated Southern Somalia.

The Bardheere Jamaca was founded by a Digil/Mirifle rival of the Geledi dynasty. It was predominately non-Darood and regularly called for jihad against the Gaalo Madoow.

Totally not true. Many Bantu claimed shegad for safety's sake. The Mushunguli still speak Zigua and are organized traditionally. The Gosha consciously discarded their several native languages to form a union under Maay. Please notice that they did not pick Maxaa.

Totally not true. Many Bantu claimed shegad for safety's sake. The Mushunguli still speak Zigua and are organized traditionally. The Gosha consciously discarded their several native languages to form a union under Maay. Please notice that they did not pick Maxaa.

What do you think the Bantu that were owned by Biimaal, Wacdan, Abgaal and Moblin speak? Af Bloody Maxa Tiri. The Mushunguli do not live in Lower Shabelle. I clearly emphasised non-Gosha in my previous post Grant. The rest claim the identity of their adopted clans.

This map is quite accurate but it has its own shortcomings.

Bajunni dominating Kismayo and the Sounern coastal areas??????

The part that has the HARTI name in the map is Badhaadhe district locally known as Joreey region.It is settled by Maqaabul and Abdallah clans .Similarly, The part Labelled red is NOT baajuni territory .it is settled by numerous clans such as the Harti,Marehan ,Gaaljecel and Cawrmaleh.

The Baajun has no significant presence in Jubaland.

The Bajuunni have little presence there NOW, but that was theirs before the Harti and Darood. . Kismayo was a Bajunni deegaan. Surprisingly, I understand they have several seats in the Jubaland Assembly

Sultan

I am the Sultan
The Bajuunni have little presence there NOW, but that was theirs before the Harti and Darood. . Kismayo was a Bajunni deegaan. Surprisingly, I understand they have several seats in the Jubaland Assembly

Yes they do. But they don't control the coastal areas .

Sultan

I am the Sultan
Dude, have you lived among the Biimaal? They have a stratified social structure. The Bantu clients of the Biimaal and the proper Biimaal do not intermarry. You might find the odd Biimaal male who decides to get Jiggy with a Bantu but there is no way in hell a Bantu is allowed to marry a Biimaal woman. Bare in mind that most of the client Bantus are found in Lower Shabelle, the Biimaal's of Lower Jubba do not possess a large client Bantu population as the Gosha are composed of free slaves. Moreover, the Gaadsan Biimal of Bakool and Gedo do not also have any Bantu slaves. Nor do the Gaadsan Biimaal that live among the Ogaden in NFD/Lower Jubba. Like I said, one should differentiate between Biimaal Habash/Madow and Biimaal proper. The same applies to most of the former slave owning clans in South Somalia.

I have been to Kismayo 2 times in recent past.The overwhelming majority of the Madow l met told me that they're Biimal.Then l asked some elders about Madow Biimal .They told that the Biimaal and some small hawiye clans do heavily intermarry with the Madow.Personally, l have seen several beautiful Biimaal girls who are married to Madow

World

VIP
The Biimaal and the Gosha do not intermarry. People confuse the Bantus that identify as Biimaal with the mainly pastoralist Biimaal that mainly inhabit the coastal areas from Jammaame district to Marka district. Similar to the former plantation slaves of the US, the Bantus adopted the clan identity of their owners. The Non-Gosha Bantu have forgotten their origins and claim the clan identity of their former masters in Lower Shabelle and parts of Lower Jubba.

All of these useless Jamacas didn't accomplish anything other than fight other Muslims. The Ajuuran were serfs of the Boranas and even intermarried with these pagans. They didn't even have a Somali identity nor were they Muslims. The Gallas dominated everything between the Juba to the Tana river valley for over 300 years, until Darood came and conquered everything in 30 years.

I have been to Kismayo 2 times in recent past.The overwhelming majority of the Madow l met told me that they're Biimal.Then l asked some elders about Madow Biimal .They told that the Biimaal and some small hawiye clans do heavily intermarry with the Madow.Personally, l have seen several beautiful Biimaal girls who are married married to Madow

Like I said, the Biimaal Xeer system distinguishes between slave and Biimaal. They claim to be Biimaal but that does not make them Biimaal. Kulaha I have personally seen beautiful Biimaal girls married to Madow in Kismayo kulaha. Neither Hawiye subclans or Biimaal open intermarry with Bantus. My Surre clan live with the Biimaal in Jammaame and I have relatively who own farms there so I know what I am talking about bro.

What do you think the Bantu that were owned by Biimaal, Wacdan, Abgaal and Moblin speak? Af Bloody Maxa Tiri. The Mushunguli do not live in Lower Shabelle. I clearly emphasised non-Gosha in my previous post Grant. The rest claim the identity of their adopted clans.

The Mushunguli are NOT Gosha!!!! In the 60's they were concentrated around and east of Jamaame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zigula_language

Zigula (Zigua, Chizigua) is a Bantu language of Tanzania and of Somalia, where it is known as Mushunguli (Mushungulu).[4] It is best known for the Mushunguli dialect.

Contents
Mushunguli
Mushunguli is spoken by about 23,000 people from the Bantu ethnic minority of southern Somalia, in Jamaame, Kismayo, Mogadishu, and the Juba River valley.[5]

It shows affinities with other adjacent Bantu varieties. In particular, Mushunguli shares strong lexical and grammatical similarities with the language of the Zigua people who inhabit Tanzania, one of the areas in south-eastern Africa where many Bantu in Somalia are known to have been captured from as slaves during the 19th century.[6] Ethnologue notes that the Mushunguli in Tanzania are the Wazegua.[5]

Many Mushunguli Bantu men also speak as working languages the Afro-Asiatic Maay and Somali languages of their Somali neighbors.[5]

Like I said, the Biimaal Xeer system distinguishes between slave and Biimaal. They claim to be Biimaal but that does not make them Biimaal. Kulaha I have personally seen beautiful Biimaal girls married to Madow in Kismayo kulaha. Neither Hawiye subclans or Biimaal open intermarry with Bantus. My Surre clan live with the Biimaal in Jammaame and I have relatively who own farms there so I know what I am talking about bro.

Now, I know who you're . You have very exceptional knowledge, too bad you don't share our Dir supremacy doctrine:denzelnigga:

All of these useless Jamacas didn't accomplish anything other than fight other Muslims. The Ajuuran were serfs of the Boranas and even intermarried with these pagans. They didn't even have a Somali identity nor were they Muslims. The Gallas dominated everything between the Juba to the Tana river valley for over 300 years, until Darood came and conquered everything in 30 years.

There is no denying that the Darood played the most important role in the expansion of Somali territory in the Southern fringes.

However, it was not a thirty year process. When the Ogaden first arrived, they were also clients of the Galla and were their Sheegaads. After the Orma were struck down by smallpox, they and the Boran/Ajuran/Garreh alliance took advantage and simultaneously attacked the Orma from multiple fronts. The Guri Marehans that first arrived in Jubbaland were not the warlike gun totting Marehans that arrived in the late 19th century. They were mainly the outcast Boon Marehan subclans, the Talxe and the Reer Xassan. In Gedo, they had to pay homage to the Gasargude Sultans first. History ain't Black and White.

Sultan

I am the Sultan

You're right. Somali Xeer or the Biimal xeer don't allow the intermarriage with the Madow but still there rare cases of Madow marrying the Biimal.By the way ,l got your point,the huge Madow community claiming the Biimal are former slaves who want have Somali clan identity

All the slaves that could moved to the Jubba. After the Italians freed them, I understand the movement was general. Yeah, bloody Maxatiri.

The Mushunguli are NOT Gosha!!!! In the 60's they were concentrated around and east of Jamaame.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zigula_language

Zigula (Zigua, Chizigua) is a Bantu language of Tanzania and of Somalia, where it is known as Mushunguli (Mushungulu).[4] It is best known for the Mushunguli dialect.

Contents
Mushunguli
Mushunguli is spoken by about 23,000 people from the Bantu ethnic minority of southern Somalia, in Jamaame, Kismayo, Mogadishu, and the Juba River valley.[5]

It shows affinities with other adjacent Bantu varieties. In particular, Mushunguli shares strong lexical and grammatical similarities with the language of the Zigua people who inhabit Tanzania, one of the areas in south-eastern Africa where many Bantu in Somalia are known to have been captured from as slaves during the 19th century.[6] Ethnologue notes that the Mushunguli in Tanzania are the Wazegua.[5]

Many Mushunguli Bantu men also speak as working languages the Afro-Asiatic Maay and Somali languages of their Somali neighbors.[5]

WTF is wrong with you man.:mindblown:

Gosha and Mushunguli are interchangeable. Blood Google it if you do not believe it.

I have been to Kismayo 2 times in recent past.The overwhelming majority of the Madow l met told me that they're Biimal.Then l asked some elders about Madow Biimal .They told that the Biimaal and some small hawiye clans do heavily intermarry with the Madow.Personally, l have seen several beautiful Biimaal girls who are married to Madow
Warya, spare us your anecdotal evidence and suugu science. Attacking people under a dummy account is very weak, so reveal your main account coward.

Sultan

I am the Sultan
There is no denying that the Darood played the most important role in the expansion of Somali territory in the Southern fringes.

However, it was not a thirty year process. When the Ogaden first arrived, they were also clients of the Galla and were their Sheegaads. After the Orma were struck down by smallpox, they and the Boran/Ajuran/Garreh alliance took advantage and simultaneously attacked the Orma from multiple fronts. The Guri Marehans that first arrived in Jubbaland were not the warlike gun totting Marehans that arrived in the late 19th century. They were mainly the outcast Boon Marehan subclans, the Talxe and the Reer Xassan. In Gedo, they had to pay homage to the Gasargude Sultans first. History ain't Black and White.

The Boran ,Garre,Ajuuran were chased out of Gedo by the Marehan .Now ,they're found in NFD .REE XASAN and TALXE are boon marexan???That's gross lie .By the way,what do you know about Marehan .Don't change this peaceful discussion into trolling bulshit

It is Ogaden clan who completely destroyed the Orma.

An account of Ogaden Domination in Jubaland and Nfd

"As a result of this manifest weakening of the Wardei they were attacked on
all fronts and it is no surprise that they could not defend themselves but had to flee for their lives. According Turnbull, 'the main contlict was in the east; and the actions fought at Afmadu, on the Deshek Wama, and at EI Lein are still- spoken of by the tribe

Ogaden were at this point led by the grand old man of the Abd Wak, Abdi Ibrahim , the Sultan, while there were a number of ' invasion commanders under him: Abdi Ibrahim was noted for his bravery and skill in war strategy which eventually led to the Ogaden dominance in the Jubaland. His remarkable leadership qualities are still remembered to this day by the Ogaden. Notable among his commanders were Magan Yussuf, the Sultan of the Mohamed Zubeer Ogaden, and Hassan Bejan of the Abdalla/Ogaden

Having displaced the Wardei from the Juba region the Ogaden were not
content to settle
down but continued their southward expansion since the loot from the Wardei was an appetizing reason to continue their raids.

The Ogaden migration towards the Tana in the 1 860s and 1870s, was one of struggle to wrestle control of the land from the Wardei .The Ogaden were firmly estahlished along the banks of the Tana River by the 1870' s, having virtually conquered and suhordinated the Galla to
Somali domination. According to Turnbull the attack lof 1865 by the Somali when the Wardei were weakened by plague was so unexpected and so violent that the Wardei were utterly broken by it.
Scattered through the fighting was, hundreds were killed; those who survived either fled to neighhouring tribes or became serfs to the Mohamed Zuheir, the Telemuggeh, or the Magabul. Many were sold as slaves in the markets of Lamu, and Zanzibar.

Had it not been for the arrival of Imperial British East African Company rule in 1885, the Wardei would have ceased to exist as a community with a separate cultural and political identity."

How Cawlyahan and Marehan pushed Garre and Degodiya into Nfd"

"Over .the years, the Adjurans were subjected to constant raids by hoth the Degodia and the Ogadene especially the wars waged by the Rer Afgab Auliyahan and the Marehan, forced the Degodia to migrate to the Garreh country in
the vicinity of Mandera of what was to become the Kenya Colony"

http://www.worldcat.org/title/darod...ern-frontier-district-of-kenya/oclc/419832916

WTF is wrong with you man.:mindblown:

Gosha and Mushunguli are interchangeable. Blood Google it if you do not believe it.

You, Sir, are on something today. But please don't pass it.

The Gosha are a compound group who speak Maay. The Mushunguli are WaZigua who have maintained a Tanzanian language and social organization.
You just want to conflate all the Bantu and Madow. This is a Samaale thing that is not shared with the academic community. Gosha is the forest, but the people of the forest divide into Gosha and Mushunguli. The Mushunguli are absolutely NOT Gosha. They are NOT interchangeable.

Sultan

I am the Sultan
The Madow are of two types :.

1.Mahaawaay :-they associate themselves with the Somali.They exclusively speak AF Somali or the Maay dialect

2.Mushunguli :- These comprises former slaves from Mozambique, Tanzania and Congo .they include, Miyao,Wazigua among others .They speak both Somali and their native languages

Status
Not open for further replies.