Japans 'Metabo' Law

"Japan implemented the 'metabo' law which included the measurement of waist sizes in 2008 in attempt to overcome increasing obesity rates. The New York Timeswrote: "To reach its goals of shrinking the overweight population by 10 percent over the next four years and 25 percent over the next seven years, the government will impose financial penalties on companies and local governments that fail to meet specific targets. The country’s Ministry of Health argues that the campaign will keep the spread of diseases like diabetes and strokes in check." The 'metabo' law involved conducting an annual waist measurement check of people aged between 40 and 75, which was administered by employers and local government. The role of employers and local government was to ensure there was a minimum of 65% participation, with a goal to decrease Japan's obesity rates by 25% by 2015 and failure to meet these goals results in a fine."

It is a way to reduce the increasing demand for medical services because of the growing elderly population. Not enough working people to pay for the healthcare system in the future will eventually create a deficit, and this is a preemptive way to curb it.

Macalin M

Out here
It’s like they’re preparing for a war or something :ftw9nwa:

But this is a good thing. In the future all somalis must be in good physique. We can’t have fatties and skinnies rolling about -you know who you are.

Last edited:

Macalin M

Out here
The Japs are the OG fat shamers :mjswag:their clothing sizes don’t come in numbers e.g “size:fat” :cryinglaughsmiley:
Wallahi that’s funny, I need to go on a trip with my cousin to Japan. We both love anime so I’ll disguise it as an anime trip then I’ll buy him clothes and hopefully he then agrees to go gym with me.

Thanks for this information.

It’s like they’re preparing for a war or something :ftw9nwa:

But this is a good thing. In the future all somalis must be in good physique. We can’t gave fatties and skinnies rolling about -you know who you are.
I think the main objective is to end starvations and other pressing matters first.
5a54826fc4b16a00015d3789_5a2e8a0189ff870001e03b91_Maslow_nv.png

We can implement a fat tax or something similar to what Japan is doing after we move past "safety."

Basra

LOVE is a product of Doqoniimo mixed with lust
Let Them Eat Cake
VIP
"Japan implemented the 'metabo' law which included the measurement of waist sizes in 2008 in attempt to overcome increasing obesity rates. The New York Timeswrote: "To reach its goals of shrinking the overweight population by 10 percent over the next four years and 25 percent over the next seven years, the government will impose financial penalties on companies and local governments that fail to meet specific targets. The country’s Ministry of Health argues that the campaign will keep the spread of diseases like diabetes and strokes in check." The 'metabo' law involved conducting an annual waist measurement check of people aged between 40 and 75, which was administered by employers and local government. The role of employers and local government was to ensure there was a minimum of 65% participation, with a goal to decrease Japan's obesity rates by 25% by 2015 and failure to meet these goals results in a fine."

It is a way to reduce the increasing demand for medical services because of the growing elderly population. Not enough working people to pay for the healthcare system in the future will eventually create a deficit, and this is a preemptive way to curb it.

I am surprised Japanese people are very vain and care about their looks. I would think diet is their # priority. American fast foods must be popular there

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Metabo Law as in Metabolic syndrome, soo maha.

It's a controversial anti-obesity policy that works in Japan. I think its a smart move of their government to low key shift the burden of health care costs on to the private sector.

This would never fly in America. Even though there are innumerable federal, state and local policy icentives/restrictions to address this 'epidemic. The American weight loss and diet control market is worth 72 Billion with its diet chains, food/beverages/pills/supplements, corporate wellness programs and medical programs. Yet all of these efforts are not quite effective in population-wide obesity control.

If this waist trimming law were ever adopted there would be far too much citizen outrage from body appreciators and bureatic pushback from big agro and other corporate lobbyists. American culture is in favour of radical individualism rather than more than Japanese culture which means more toward collectivism.

But I find these population weight management schemes fascinating. Some countries will pay you to lose weight while others will bar you from immigrating if you don't meet a certain weight threshold. It's kind of funny since most immigrants to OECD nations are from resource poor nations which show up well due healthy immigrant effect thanks to intensive medical screening and often end up becoming more sedentary and as diseased as the locals in about 10 or so years.

Last edited:
I think the main objective is to end starvations and other pressing matters first.
5a54826fc4b16a00015d3789_5a2e8a0189ff870001e03b91_Maslow_nv.png

We can implement a fat tax or something similar to what Japan is doing after we move past "safety."

but it may work for them they are a society that worships government, they used to worship their king as a god until the Americas ended it in 1945, they obey the state, others are too arrogant, free spirit, liek thr west and arabs and africans,

but to be honest, somali female sback home, 995 are skinny, old, young, etc

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Somalis now lovers of female body fat used to have waist controls for women. Especially in the Northwest region (Galbeed)
  • Probation of sugar laden tea drinking
  • Getting fed the leftovers of men
  • Ardous labour
  • Periodic food shortages (random)
And in my grandmother's generation they wore something similar to a corset shortly after giving birth to retain their waistline. The practice was called:

Caloolceliye

:farmajoyaab: Be happy you were born in the later part of the 20th C.

Last edited:
Denmark tried and quit. It seems like the tax could make a small imbalance in the economic ecosystem.

"In October 2011, Denmark introduced a fat tax on butter, milk, cheese, pizza, meat, oil and processed food if the item contains more than 2.3% saturated fat. However, in November 2012, the Danish Tax Ministry announced it would abolish the fat tax, stating that it failed to change Danes' eating habits, had encouraged cross border trading, put Danish jobs at risk and had been a bureaucratic nightmare for producers and outlets. The failure of Denmark's fat tax was also due to financial reasons, with politicians identifying the fat tax as a funding source for the government, rather than a health initiative that attempted to improve the health outcomes of society. The proposed sugar tax plans were also scrapped.

Mette Gjerskov, the Danish minister of food, agriculture and fisheries, stated that "the fat tax is one of the most criticized we had in a long time. Now we have to try to improve public health by other means.” Although the tax resulted in an additional $216 million in revenue, it also led to numerous complaints from Danish retailers that their customers were taking their business to other countries, such as Sweden and Germany, to take advantage of their lower prices."

The Japs invented fructose as revenge for the defeat & humiliation from Americans. Now they are testing their own "medicine".

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
Denmark tried and quit. It seems like the tax could make a small imbalance in the economic ecosystem.

"In October 2011, Denmark introduced a fat tax on butter, milk, cheese, pizza, meat, oil and processed food if the item contains more than 2.3% saturated fat. However, in November 2012, the Danish Tax Ministry announced it would abolish the fat tax, stating that it failed to change Danes' eating habits, had encouraged cross border trading, put Danish jobs at risk and had been a bureaucratic nightmare for producers and outlets. The failure of Denmark's fat tax was also due to financial reasons, with politicians identifying the fat tax as a funding source for the government, rather than a health initiative that attempted to improve the health outcomes of society. The proposed sugar tax plans were also scrapped.

Mette Gjerskov, the Danish minister of food, agriculture and fisheries, stated that "the fat tax is one of the most criticized we had in a long time. Now we have to try to improve public health by other means.” Although the tax resulted in an additional $216 million in revenue, it also led to numerous complaints from Danish retailers that their customers were taking their business to other countries, such as Sweden and Germany, to take advantage of their lower prices."

I read that policymakers overestimated the drop in the sale of fatty products. Claiming that it went down by 10-15% but this figure occurred during the first 3-months of the policy's implementation. Rather Danes stockpiled on products in advance (which created misleading results) and figures went back up to pre- fat tax levels down the road. Also some of the research on first year the policy came into effect was showing negligible results of its impact on the health indicator - heart disease.

So it was also ineffective as a health policy. Though like you said, I suspect it was partially a money making scheme that backfired.

Sophisticate

~Gallantly Gadabuursi~
Staff Member
but it may work for them they are a society that worships government, they used to worship their king as a god until the Americas ended it in 1945, they obey the state, others are too arrogant, free spirit, liek thr west and arabs and africans,

but to be honest, somali female sback home, 995 are skinny, old, young, etc

Waa naxaday
Waa kala cadaatay
Albaabka ma marikarayso
Way quruxasatay

Mash'Allah

page-133-03.jpg

The sugar tax in Australia is gaining momentum just to fight obesity which is a burden on the health system just like smoking used to be in the past. Long ago, legislations were passed for food and drinks manufacturers to clearly indicate the amount of sugar their products contain on the label of their products. It seems that’s not working among the poorer members of society who need free medical services. It’s a common sight to see a Somali fridge to contain sugary soft drinks like Fanta which some parents ignorantly believe that it is good for the growth and nutrition of their children. Obesity is a major health problem for emerging communities like Somalis in the diaspora and in particular women.

Latest posts