IT or Nursing? which is better in the long run for women?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genie

The last suugo bender
Guys no need to debate which field is better.

Nursing and IT are both solid choices you can't go wrong with either of them

NONO! didn't mean to come out as if i'm saying IT is better than nursing i was suggesting how Nursing has certain limitations i'm sure IT does too.

Speak to people in both fields, volunteer and if you get the opportunity to shadow that would be helpful as well.

Also, talk to people at different stages of their career new grads vs. people who've been in the field for years will offer different perspectives.

Anyways if anyone needs more information or Advising regarding Engineering/IT field you can DM me

Im passionate about this field :lawd:

But i aint helping with any assignments :kodaksmiley:

ThreeTwentyOne

It's too damn HOT!
follow your passion.

This is very important. If you are deciding on a career path don't just do it for the pay but for passion too... if you do the job you love you will not work a day in your life.

IT has a great pay + job security but with IT it is always changing so you must be prepared to keep learning and adapt to change.

OmarLittle

Not your typical Farah
Both are really good choices. If you're in the U.S, Nursing is amazing as the baby boomer generation is retiring, so there should be plenty of jobs.

IT? Define it first. Does that include Computer Science such programming(Software Engineers, Business Intelligence Developers, Web Developers, Data/Computer Scientists, etc)? IT generally means Network/System Admins/Engineers, Database Admins, Tech support etc.

Again if you're in the U.S -- I would use programming. 'Big Data' and Machine Learning is going to be big soon(some is already happening). Python is big, you can work in Data Science or even Software Engineering. However, you going need to be good at math :pachah1:

I.T., at least in Canada, is dominated by Indians and from what I heard they are all natives of this one particular state in India and dont hire other fellow Indians or treat them like crap.

Follow your passion I suppose.

Leo

The Brave
Go with what comes natural to you, if it's helping people and caring for someone than go with nursing. If your a nerd and very much into computers go for IT.

What about the gazillion other jobs out there? Intern, volunteer and don't limit yourself to two careers because you think it's going to "make you money". If you are passionate about your career, you'll excel in it and if you excel in it you'll make a name for yourself and make a lot of money.

Lordilord

❤Somaliland❤
Just by you being female and having an IT orientated education will definitely increase your chances of getting a job.

Since most of the people that have IT orientated education are mostly men, many companies are trying to diversify their company by bringing in female software, computer and information science engineers.

I am currently studying Software Engineering and one of my female classmates have been headhunted by a company. Now I can argue and say my programming skills are better than hers but that don't matter because as she is female they want her and what she don't know they will teach her.

Lordilord

❤Somaliland❤
Just by you being female and having an IT orientated education will definitely increase your chances of getting a job.

Since most of the people that have IT orientated education are mostly men, many companies are trying to diversify their company by bringing in female software, computer and information science engineers.

I am currently studying Software Engineering and one of my female classmates have been headhunted by a company. Now I can argue and say my programming skills are better than hers but that don't matter because as she is female they want her and what she don't know they will teach her.
I also want to add that this female classmate is a friend of mine and I am not saying I have better programming skills than her because she is female, absolutely not.

I just wanted to show you that as a female and being a skilled programmer you will most likely be prioritized over men. This is something you should most definitely take advantage of.

I disagree with the idea of "following your passion", it's been a vague idea pushed onto a lot of millenials and has led to people going for fields with little to no job prospects. Passion can be easily lost when faced with the pressures of the working world (that is if your passion even leads to a job).

Last edited by a moderator:

EternalLightX

Queen of the light
VIP
Nursing is a fantastic profession sure I've had tears, stress and have been used as a dog by consultants, who dare don't listen to my concerns about a patient. Despite these hiccups I picked a challenging and rewarding field, intensive care. Plenty to learn where technology and nursing come hand in hand in my profession. I can set up a ventilator analyse blood gases and have more autonomy compared to a ward nurse. I can really see in real time what my patient heamodynamic status is every hour, their CVP, PADP and MAP, as well as hourly drains, and ventilation settings, I can predict and prevent any disasters from occurring. I build great rapport with families who openly give gifts as a thank you, despite the anti social hours and the stress of working 12.5h shifts. I actually enjoy my job as an intensive care nurse. I work with a great team of nurses. And I plan to go abroad and further develop my skills. I went from uni straight to intensive care as a newly qualified nurse despite the burden of information overload and the amount of knowledge I needed, I can now look after patients independently without observation from a senior nurse. I am proud of the progress I make everyday. The pay increases but in certain countries nurses get paid great. In the Middle East it's tax free and you get your own accommodation. It's not all doom and gloom, you can work globally and there will always be a job available for you. I have a unique speciality as I can look after critically ill patients. As a competent ITU nurse I may be in demand in certain countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts