IT or Nursing? which is better in the long run for women?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it depends on your interests.

Do you like analysing problems and solving them, then pursue IT

Do you like helping others out, then pursue Nursing

While a lot of Xalimos pursue nursing, there is a plethora amount of them that are starting to venture into areas like Engineering and Computer Science which is a good thing.

Also bare in mind that IT/Engineering has like a ration of 85:15 in favour of men so something to keep in mind.

But whenever I talk to Halimos I always encourage them to to pursue Engineering/IT its a great field and who knows what they can accomplish

As for which is better in the long run, both fields are equally as good, but for Women I would say Nursing is better long term

Last edited:

Xaagi-Cagmadigtee

Guul ama Dhimasho
Both excellent fields to pursue. You won't go hungry, especially nursing.

Many Somali girls are nurses in my city. Waa gabdho isku kalsoon oo qoqaay, :siilaanyosmile:

Nursing = Guaranteed job but stressful and hours/wages aren't great.

IT = Versatile, less stress, office based. But kinda boring and the market is saturated.

Verdict: Study what interests you but can also get you a job.

Genie

The last suugo bender
I use to want to be a nurse but now i'm studying computing. Nursing is awesome but tbh i don't have the same passion as i do for Computing just because i want to help people just not wiping their ass's kind of way but solving their problems.... still helping imo :ummhmsmiley:.

I would say Nursing because you can find a job as nurse almost anywhere in the world while It jobs are limited. You can also advance your career as nurse become NP.

kickz

Engineer of Qandala
SIYAASI
VIP
My sister works in Nursing related field and I work in IT, whenever I think my job is stressful I hear her stories from work:damn:

and I thank Allah I chose IT as a programmer:rejoice:

I use to want to be a nurse but now i'm studying computing. Nursing is awesome but tbh i don't have the same passion as i do for Computing just because i want to help people just not wiping their ass's kind of way but solving their problems.... still helping imo :ummhmsmiley:.

What do you plan to do after? Say it, say Data Mining...:ahh:

I would say go for IT. Nursing is long hours and eventually takes a toll on your health.

The only plus is it's more international, you can get a job anywhere pretty easy, the demand is always high.

Genie

The last suugo bender
I would say go for IT. Nursing is long hours and eventually takes a toll on your health.

The only plus is it's more international, you can get a job anywhere pretty easy, the demand is always high.

To be honest computing and engineering just doesn't attract women mostly men dunno why? (well actually i do but i don't want to get into it) so your advice will fall on deaf ears , in my class the ratio for guys and girls is tragic wallahi :siilaanyolaugh:

To be honest computing and engineering just doesn't attract women mostly men dunno why? (well actually i do but i don't want to get into it) so your advice will fall on deaf ears , in my class the ratio for guys and girls is tragic wallahi :siilaanyolaugh:

I'm definitely seeing more girls studying these areas nowadays , the gap is narrowing somewhat (where I study) especially for Chem eng and IT not so much civil/mech eng.

Good on you for breaking down barriers. That's what we need more of inshallah.

Genie

The last suugo bender
I'm definitely seeing more girls studying these areas nowadays , the gap is narrowing somewhat (where I study) especially for Chem eng and IT not so much civil/mech eng.

Good on you for breaking down barriers. That's what we need more of inshallah.

Are you in the UK? , and thanks i mean one should study what they love soo maha?

For all you prospective programmers/IT

Don't go into the field just because someone tells you to, do your own research and try learning a language and see if you actually like coding.
While the market is big for IT, they need COMPETENT programmers and not some person who struggled through their degree.
I know many people who lied about their experiences and skills and two weeks into their job they start dragging their team down with too many questions and inefficient codes and their contract got terminated and they got replaced.

There is only job security in IT if you are a decent/good coder...

Genie

The last suugo bender
I would say Nursing because you can find a job as nurse almost anywhere in the world while It jobs are limited. You can also advance your career as nurse become NP.

I would actually disagree i highly doubt you can be a nurse in places like Korea or China were they would much rather have a chinese or Korean speaking nurses however the interesting thing with IT and coding / programming is that the coding languages are universal and you can in that sense work anywhere from Russia to Norway its all the same also with IT you can freelance you can't do that with nursing , i can for example stay home develop websites , apps etc and earn cash that way whereas nurses can't work from home (cuz duh). Not everyone working in computing sits behind a desk all day at a 9 to 5 job ... just pointing that out.

follow your passion. i used to be a nursing major but i dropped it b/c i didnt have the passion, patience, or tolerance for it. I only did nursing to appease others. at the end of the day doing what you love matters most. I wouldnt necessarily focus on the gender aspect- in the grand scheme of things its seems minuscule. ( obviously nursing will mostly consist of women, whereas IT will mostly consist of men; but overall outlook for both careers is good-regardless of gender)

over the summer you could try working on your IT skills, probably learn a language.. see if you enjoy it. also, talk to others in those careers and try volunteering
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

I would actually disagree i highly doubt you can be a nurse in places like Korea or China were they would much rather have a chinese or Korean speaking nurses however the interesting thing with IT and coding / programming is that the coding languages are universal and you can in that sense work anywhere from Russia to Norway its all the same also with IT you can freelance you can't do that with nursing , i can for example stay home develop websites , apps etc and earn cash that way whereas nurses can't work from home (cuz duh). Not everyone working in computing sits behind a desk all day at a 9 to 5 job ... just pointing that out.
As a nurse you will not be able to work from home but you will others, meet new people which way better than working from home in my opinion

Genie

The last suugo bender
As a nurse you will not be able to work from home but you will others, meet new people which way better than working from home in my opinion

So can do that in pretty much every other individual in a profession not just nursing, what i meant was people who study IT have that option nurses don't. for example i just had a baby and during the year i'm off work i can just work from home and still earn money or if i choose to be a stay at home mum and still work from home then i can do that , we have the option to work from home and freelance if we wanted to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending