Is this name originally Somali?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. It means light in Somali as well. Are any of our names Somali? I'm shocked. Maybe it has a different meaning in Somali that I don't know of?
We have somali names sxb. Guuleed, Ayaan.... are some examples.

The weird thing is, they're saying that name exists in Hindi, Urdu, bangla and Farsi as well.:childplease:

It could be arabic im not sure. Every arabic name (word) comes from a three word root. The root of the name iftin would be "fa-ta-na" which means to be clever, intelligent. So the arabic name iftiin would mean a clever person. This contradicts our somali meaning which means light. So it's very unlikely that it is an arabic word but possible.

We have somali names sxb. Guuleed, Ayaan.... are some examples.

The weird thing is, they're saying that name exists in Hindi, Urdu, bangla and Farsi as well.:childplease:
I was exaggerating the bit about Somali names. I just didn't think Iftin would be foreign.

It's confusing. Did they all borrow the name from Arabic. Is it really Arabic? The site in my 1st post says it means light which is what it mean to us too so I'm confuzed.

Update: I searched in arabic for the name Iftin and i coudn't find it. Second i looked for synonymous for light in arabic and Fa-ta-na doesn't appear so...

Iska neefsada Akhyaar iftiin is our word

Update: I searched in arabic for the name Iftin and i coudn't find it. Second i looked for synonymous for light in arabic and Fa-ta-na doesn't appear so...

Iska neefsada Akhyaar iftiin is our word
Thanks. Why are these websites claiming our name and confusing people bisinka

one

ᶜᵃʷᵒ ᶜᵃʷˡᵒ
That's impossible. Iftiin is Somali.

Probably a Somali nacas wrote it down thinking it's Arabic.

Edit: Nvm, the snake is Hindi.z3zrULC
12xjTlz.png

https://www.names.org/n/iftin/about

I don't know but a possibe reason is like fiidmer said many arabs consider somali an arabic dialect. But im sure it's a somali word cause the root of the word doesn't mean light so very unlikely it has anything to do with arabic. Maybe im wrong
I hope not. I've always considered it a bonafide Somali name.

Iftiin waa soomaali sax ah oo carabi aan asal ku lahayn. Somalis give the word to females as a name as well, but with one vowel: Iftin instead of Iftiin which means light.

You guys should know Somali is Older than Arabic as a language.

Below is a link I found useful comparing Arabic and Somali languages. Ours is Cushitic while the Arabic is Semitic like the Hebrew. Ours is also Older sameway we are Genetically Older than the Arabs. Languages closer to Arabic in East Africa are Tigrinya, Tigre and Amharic, they are classed as Semitic languages while ours is Cushitic.

Ours has close relations to Oromo, Sidamo, Afar and Beja.

https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-Somali-language-different-from-Arabic-linguistically

Below is a link I found useful comparing Arabic and Somali languages. Ours is Cushitic while the Arabic is Semitic like the Hebrew. Ours is also Older sameway we are Genetically Older than the Arabs. Languages closer to Arabic in East Africa are Tigrinya, Tigre and Amharic, they are classed as Semitic languages while ours is Cushitic.

Ours has close relations to Oromo, Sidamo, Afar and Beja.

https://www.quora.com/How-is-the-Somali-language-different-from-Arabic-linguistically
Genetically older means nothing. It just means that we have less mutations in our dna sequence. This bears no relevance to linguistic antiquity.

Genetically older means nothing. It just means that we have less mutations in our dna sequence. This bears no relevance to linguistic antiquity.

Which says Arabs are more of a recent offshoot of some others than we are then. Less mutations mean staying more of the same lol.

I would like to know how we did stay homogeneous for that long without developing some genetic deformities. Did our ethnic originators marry others(females only who look similar) to enlarge the gene pool? And how do we still look the same as somalis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending