Is this name originally Somali?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And why would Somalis have among them a tiny strand of Indian American, European, Arab and many small percentage in their DNA from different ethnic groups? How does a girl end up with 1% Native American strand in her DNA even though she is Somali through and through for generations?

Actually every language is a perversion of arabic, the holy language. Some are less perverted(afroasiatic family) and others more. A pakistani shiekh of a century or two ago, has successfuly traced sanskrit to arabic. His followers have now traced something like 30 languages to arabic, even english
Nap-nowm
Cat-qid
Eye-ayn
Crime-garima/jarima, and hundreds more.
Search:sankrit traced to arabic pdf

Actually every language is a perversion of arabic, the holy language. Some are less perverted(afroasiatic family) and others more. A pakistani shiekh of a century or two ago, has successfuly traced sanskrit to arabic. His followers have now traced something like 30 languages to arabic, even english
Nap-nowm
Cat-qid
Eye-ayn

Seems more like a propaganda than a statement based on facts. The Quran is Holy, But Arabic is not.

Let’s all be happy of our Arabic names :it0tdo8:

Parents still prefer Islamic names over Somali names.

Why would someone be happy just because they have an Arabic name? Imagine millions of Muslims walking around depressed over their non-Arabic ethnic names that are legitimately Islamic?

Do you relaize Arabs have non-muslims who have Arabic names? Are these non-muslim Arabs better than Somali muslims with non-arabic names?

halwa

✨🌙
Why would someone be happy just because they have an Arabic name? Imagine millions of Muslims walking around depressed over their non-Arabic ethnic names that are legitimately Islamic?

As a Muslim guy, you should be proud to be named after the sahaba and prophets. That’s a good thing. Why would anyone be depressed about it?

As a Muslim guy, you should be proud to be named after the sahaba and prophets. That’s a good thing. Why would anyone be depressed about it?

Pride is forbidden though. I think you meant satisfied with the name given to me by my parents. I am satisfied with the name and it is Arabic. But in no way i am delusional to think a guy named Socdaal, Gama'diid, Or Diirshe/Diiriye ought to be depressed for not being named Salman. I infact prefer and feel kinship first to Gama'diid than to Salman. My ears would immediately perk up hearing that name than they would in hearing Salman first.

We need fact based comments please.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Nap-nowm
Cat-qid
Eye-ayn

Arabic as a language is not Holy sxb its just that the Prophet pbuh was an Arab that the Qur'an was revealed in Arabic. If the Prophet pbuh was Somali, it would have been revealed in Somali. Every language as its ups and downs and Arabic is no exception to this. When it comes to day to day use, Somali tops Arabic and im not referring to the random makhayaad Somali. Af-Somali is among the most beautiful languages of the world just like our unique physical appearance

halwa

✨🌙
Pride is forbidden though. I think you meant satisfied with the name given to me by my parents. I am satisfied with the name and it is Arabic. But in no way i am delusional to think a guy named Socdaal, Gama'diid, Or Diirshe/Diiriye ought to be depressed for not being named Salman. I infact prefer and feel kinship first to Gama'diid than to Salman. My ears would immediately perk up hearing that name than they would in hearing Salman first.

We need fact based comments please.

Most of you people tend to look down on Arabic names and I’ve seen such comments come from people I’ve observed on here . I don’t mind Somali names. I find them fascinating but I’m just saying there is nothing wrong with having an Arabic name that was inspired by noble people in our deen.

What fact based comments are you talking about? I was merely speaking my opinion.

Arabic as a language is not Holy sxb its just that the Prophet pbuh was an Arab that the Qur'an was revealed in Arabic. If the Prophet pbuh was Somali, it would have been revealed in Somali. Every language as its ups and downs and Arabic is no exception to this. When it comes to day to day use, Somali tops Arabic and im not referring to the random makhayaad Somali. Af-Somali is among the most beautiful languages of the world just like our unique physical appearance

I would add to this that Arabic in its purest form, like that of the Quran, is best suited for understanding the Quran. And that is why its knowledge and command is preferred so a Muslim can get the best out of his//her religion. There is nothing holy about the language itself on its own. Was it holy before the Quranic revelation?

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
Most of you people tend to look down on Arabic names and I’ve seen such comments come from people I’ve observed on here . I don’t mind Somali names. I find them fascinating but I’m just saying there is nothing wrong with having an Arabic name that was inspired by noble people in our deen.

What fact based comments are you talking about? I was merely speaking my opinion.

Arabic names are adopted in the belief that they are somehow superior to Somali names and is pushed by Arab scholars

I do understand your concern. There are extremes on both ends. One extreme like this Libaax dude is engaged in a wholesale of everything Somali as if he deems anything Somali to be of lesser quality and meaning than Arabic. Hence, his baseless talk of Somalis being ethnically Arab. Now he claims the language is also Holy. That is an obsession similar to others on the opposite end who hate Islam and therefore condemn anything Arabic. These latter group similarly condemn Somalis for being Muslims and want a change to reflect a non-belief existence and a reflection of it in all Somalis do.

I am in the middle as many Muslims are who grasp the meaning of Islam. Islam does not elevate one ethnicity above others like the Rabbis of Judaism did with their religion. Nor does Islam seek to change people's ethnicity in any shape or form, and their culture as long as what they do does not contradict their faith.

Last edited:

halwa

✨🌙
Arabic names are adopted in the belief that they are somehow superior to Somali names and is pushed by Arab scholars

I never said Arab names are superior. I am not fond of Arabs. I find them rude and disrespectful. I’ve had enough of them at the Dubai airport.

I’m just saying there is nothing wrong with having an Arabic name that is linked to promininet figures in our religion.

Arabic names are not superior in any level or form.

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
I would add to this that Arabic in its purest form, like that of the Quran, is best suited for understanding the Quran. And that is why its knowledge and command is preferred so a Muslim can get the best out of his//her religion. There is nothing holy about the language itself on its own. Was it holy before the Quranic revelation?
Not at all sxb. If anyone can make a claim that their language is holy, it would have been the Jewish tribes but Islam nullified that claim. To Allah swt, no language is irreplaceable and no people are irreplaceable. Allah swt in the Qur'an said that if the sahabas or those who come after them leave or turn back from Islam, Allah swt will raise up another people who will embody Islam. The Jews thought they could never be replaced and the Arabs today believe in the same fallacy

Samaalic Era

QurboExit
I never said Arab names are superior. I am not fond of Arabs. I find them rude and disrespectful. I’ve had enough of them at the Dubai airport.

I’m just saying there is nothing wrong with having an Arabic name that is linked to promininet figures in our religion.

Arabic names are not superior in any level or form.

Then its fine as long its limited and not widely adopted. We need to preserve Somali names for the future

Not at all sxb. If anyone can make a claim that their language is holy, it would have been the Jewish tribes but Islam nullified that claim. To Allah swt, no language is irreplaceable and no people are irreplaceable. Allah swt in the Qur'an said that if the sahabas or those who come after them leave or turn back from Islam, Allah swt will raise up another people who will embody Islam. The Jews thought they could never be replaced and the Arabs today believe in the same fallacy

Well said Breh. This is why I have absolute disgust for anyone who promotes ethnic supremacy when the creator of mankind clearly stated that any human being's standing is based on their actions. I heard some Arabs would not even pray behind a dark skinned Muslim and would not allow him to lead prayer.

Imagine such ignorance? They are the corrupt version of Israelites whom Allah rejected their special status claim. Less race and more focus on merits please. There is nothing special about some Arab idiots masquerading as holy.

halwa

✨🌙
I do understand your concern. There are extremes on both ends. One extreme like this Libaax dude is engaged in a wholesale of everything Somali as if he deems anything Somali to be of lesser quality and meaning than Arabic. Hence, his baseless talk of Somalis being ethnically Arab. Now he claims the language is also Holy. That is an obsession similar to others on the opposite end who hate Islam and therefore condemn anything Arabic. These latter group similarly condemn Somalis for being Muslims and want a change to reflect a non-belief existence and a reflection of it in all Somalis do.

I am in the middle as many Muslims are who grasp the meaning of Islam. Islam does not elevate one ethnicity above others like the Rabbis of Judaism did with their religion. Nor does Islam seek to change people's ethnicity in any shape or form, and their culture as long as what they do does not contradict-heir faith.

I think everyone should take what they can from past history. If you obsess over history and look too deep into it and constantly look for why a certain thing happens a way, then you will end up believing anything you see.

On his farewell sermon Mohammed (pbuh) stated: “All mankind is from Adam and Eve, an Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over black nor does a black have any superiority over a white except by piety and good action.”

So,I do not believe Arabic names or the Arabic language is superior to anyone. I only like and respect the language because it is the language used for our deen, Quran, hadiths, etc. If the religion didn’t use Arabic, I wouldn’t hold it in such a high regard.

I love Somali names. My surname is Somali, my great grandmother’s name is Somali and so is my paternal grandmother’s name. I have nothing against Somali names. I love it.

halwa

✨🌙
Then its fine as long its limited and not widely adopted. We need to preserve Somali names for the future

You should start off with that motion. Name your children Somali names.

I mean, in most Somali communities, they tend to name their children Islamic names than Somali. Somali names is more prevalent in the older generations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending