Is The Adal Sultan Abu Bakr Ibn Muhammad A Somali Or A Harari

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
If he is harari then how the hell is Adal a somali sultanate? I know that most of his soilders were made up of somalis but I dont know if that alone can be enough proof that he is somali. Is there a source that says that he is somali?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Bakr_ibn_Muhammad
Screenshot_20240411-162247_Chrome.jpg

the ruler of a place does not decide what type of sultanate or kingdom it is. otherwise the country of the netherlands would be a german country as the royal house has german roots.

Regardless, there was no idea of a nation state back in those days. Just like how you cant call the roman empire an italian empire, even though rome is situated in italy, in the same way calling adal a (completely) somali sultanate would be wrong even though most of its army and perhaps even citizens were somali.

Also, idk about trusting wikipedia, its known that ethiopian hotep revisionists keep editing it to fit their narratives and erase somali history

Xeda

Formerly known as Ajansjana
I don’t know much about adal, but I wouldn’t take Wikipedia as a source.

killerxsmoke

2022 GRANDMASTER
THE PURGE KING
VIP
the ruler of a place does not decide what type of sultanate or kingdom it is. otherwise the country of the netherlands would be a german country as the royal house has german roots.

Regardless, there was no idea of a nation state back in those days. Just like how you cant call the roman empire an italian empire, even though rome is situated in italy, in the same way calling adal a (completely) somali sultanate would be wrong even though most of its army and perhaps even citizens were somali.

Also, idk about trusting wikipedia, its known that ethiopian hotep revisionists keep editing it to fit their narratives and erase somali history
I pressed the refrence in which it is said that he is harari and what I found was secondary source written that he is harari

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
If he is harari then how the hell is Adal a somali sultanate? I know that most of his soilders were made up of somalis but I dont know if that alone can be enough proof that he is somali. Is there a source that says that he is somali?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Bakr_ibn_Muhammad
View attachment 324238
He isn’t Harari, that term/identity didn’t even exist back then and neither did their “ethnicity”.

It’d be more accurate to refer to him as an Adalite, plus he descends from the Somali royal house of Walashma.

These don't look like Somali names. Badlay, Waene, Gassa... Maybe Harlas really were Ethio-Semitic speakers?
Harar was a Somali capital.

1713619456487.png

Below are all rulers of Harar partly under Adal at times and partly an independent emirate.

Main families are Sheikh Abaadir Sheikhaal, Walashma, Karanle and finally the Dawuud dynasty but you did have few other families like the Habeshi slave dynasty of the noble Sultan Uthman family.

img_4143-jpeg.325539.jpg

img_4145-jpeg.325540.jpg

img_4144-jpeg.325541.jpg

Yami

4th Emir of the Akh Right Movement
the Marexan clan leader at the time was literally had the name Goita Tedros.
You're right I completely forgot about that :damn:
Where did you get waene from? Badlay got a somali etymology.
I meant Wasene I missed the S key mb :dead: also can you explain the etymology behind Badlay I'm intrigued

Harar was a Somali capital.

View attachment 325547

Below are all rulers of Harar partly under Adal at times and partly an independent emirate.

Main families are Sheikh Abaadir Sheikhaal, Walashma, Karanle and finally the Dawuud dynasty but you did have few other families like the Habeshi slave dynasty of the noble Sultan Uthman family.

View attachment 325548

View attachment 325549

View attachment 325550
Some of the earlier dynasty had ajnabi sounding names like Maya Lama lakiin the later ones I can tell had to have been Somalis but like @tyrannicalmanager mentioned some of our old heads had foreign names.

also can you explain the etymology behind Badlay I'm intrigued
What is the Somali etymology of Badlay?
@daljirkadahsoon
First of all i should clarify that sultan's name wasn't badlay but Shihab al din ahmed, badlay acted as his nickname.
Screenshot_20240420-163737_Discord.jpg

The somali etymology would be:
Baad-laay
Baad meaning the money the bandits take in af somali
Laay meaning their slayer so:
Slayer of bandits (He was known for being righteous so makes sense).
The xabashis had their own nickname for him too which was awre meaning snake, probably linked to him because he used snakes as a symbol.
eLV16jC.png

@daljirkadahsoon
First of all i should clarify that sultan's name wasn't badlay but Shihab al din ahmed, badlay acted as his nickname.
View attachment 325565
Baad-laay
The xabashis had their own nickname for him too which was awre meaning snake, probably linked to him because he used snakes as a symbol.
View attachment 325567
Thank you walaal in hindsight it was obvious I thought it was 'Baad' but I didn't see the 'Laay' lol

Do you have etymologies for any of the other names

Oh is he the one with the umbrella decorated with the winged serpents?

the Marexan clan leader at the time was literally had the name Goita Tedros.
Marehan itself is an Ethio-Semitic word. Just because they have an Ethio-Semitic name it doesn’t mean they were, it just means they interacted with them.

Maraxa means “to captivate (figuratively), to get loot” in the Harari language.

@daljirkadahsoon
View attachment 325565
Baad-laay
View attachment 325567
You know in the Harari language Badlay literally means “upper land/country.” It’s more befitting for him to be called Sultan Badlay because he literally conquered the Ethiopian highland.

In the figurative sense, it means he is above all the lands (aka he dominates).

Marehan itself is an Ethio-Semitic word. Just because they have an Ethio-Semitic name it doesn’t mean they were, it just means they interacted with them.

Maraxa means “to captivate (figuratively), to get loot” in the Harari language.

I wasn't aware this word exists in Harari but there is also an etymology for it in the Somali language.

Some have proposed it means 'one who walks on sweet smelling flowers' in reference to the myrrth and other aromatic resins that they used to have in their territory.

Another theory that exists is that it refers to them as unbeatable conquerors who defeated large numbers i.e Mare-Xaan (Xaan being an uncountable number)

I wasn't aware this word exists in Harari but there is also an etymology for it in the Somali language.

Some have proposed it means 'one who walks on sweet smelling flowers' in reference to the myrrth and other aromatic resins that they used to have in their territory.

Another theory that exists is that it refers to them as unbeatable conquerors who defeated large numbers i.e Mare-Xaan (Xaan being an uncountable number)
The Somali etymology for Badlay and Harari one are prolly the two most plausible ones, but I think mine makes more sense because Sultan Badlay was a conqueror, and a conqueror fights nations, not bandits.

Considering in Futuh that the leader of the Marehan was Goita Tedros, I’d like to think that the Marehan had close ties with Ethio-Semites. This makes the idea of ”maraxa” a Harari word a plausible etymology for the Marehan clan.

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
@daljirkadahsoon
View attachment 325565
Baad-laay
View attachment 325567

Alternatives;

Badlay / Badleh = owner of the sea, see Diinleh, Barkhadleh, Waranleh, etc.

Badlay = Nisbah from the town of Badle, Ogaden. Though I have never seen a reference using the term al-Badlay.

Badlay = keeper of the peace, see the term badbaado. The latter fits well with your etymology.

Trending