Is The Adal Sultan Abu Bakr Ibn Muhammad A Somali Or A Harari

First of all imam ahmed was a way better conqueror don't even try.
2nd badlay restored order and ended unrighteousness in the country he was known for that hence why my etymology makes sense.
Al maqrizi mentions how he stopped the injustice inflicted on the people by the armed men (literally bandits)
Badlay conquered all the way to Suakin, Sudan. He invaded all the lands Imam Ahmed did, except he did it with imperial style. He did it a hundred years before Imam Ahmed, the first of its kind in a long time. It’s not befitting to be called “killer of bandits.” True royalty, may Allah bless them both.
There's already an existing word for highland Which's Badda. You mixed 2 words to make sense out of the word badlay, but after reading it, it seems you manipulated the order of use to make sense out of the word.
Interesting, I didn’t know there was such word. But that means that Badlay probably referred to his high status as a royal conqueror.
The Dictionary gives as examples of how each word is used:
'zalbad=strange country' zal comes first then bad.
'La'ay moraga=small basket lying on top of a large one' la'ay/lay comes first then basket.

So it seems phonologically the word Lay comes first then the word bad, meaning it should be read as laybad not badlay.
Good observation. The thing is, “zal” is a negation (kinda like a prefix). You put it before the noun. Another example is “zal uga,” meaning “wrong road.” Zalbad means wrong country literally.

When you look at the word of Badlay the way you did, I realized that if you flip the order around it means something else. Laybad would be “the top land,” which would be more befitting of highland. But Badlay suggests there is someone or something above the land. So it makes sense in the context that he was very royal-like.

Three Moons

Give Dhul-Suwayqatayn not an inch of the Sea!
So you are saying Dir means “sent?” Ok, wouldn’t it be grammatically correct in Af Somali to say Webi Dir, instead of Webiga Dir.? Please answer this question.

‘Ga’ at the end in the Somali language has the same purpose as the English ‘The’ i.e ‘The Book’ = Buug-ga.

For the Awash Abbay River connection, if you look at what Abbay means in Geysinan, it means “respected mother”. When you look at Awash, it means “the fathers.” The connection between the two rivers is more than a coincidence.

But you used ‘Dir’ to make a Harari claim on a specific excerpt of the Futuh concerning the Awash river, which is still known as the ‘River of Dir’ by the Somalis. I don’t get this side-quest of yours, as a river can have multiple names or meanings with different groups, what you highlighted above doesn’t link in any way with the passage of the Futuh you invoked earlier.

Akhi, have you not heard of something called intermarriage? Also in what way do they tie it to the Girri? What source?

You have one of the Girri knights of Imam Ahmed literally having that clan/locality as part of their name; Ura‘i Šihāb ad-Dīn Gedayā Girri, who led them during the Conquest;

The second division comprised the people of Hargāyā, and the people of Šawa, the companions of Kūšem whom he put under the command of Kūšem Nūr; the people of Hubat who were under Abu Bakr Qaṭin; and the people of Gedayā who were with their lord Ura‘i Šihāb ad-Dīn Gedayā Girri.” (Futuh - P.125)

That’s like saying if there is no mention of Somali language throughout history, then there would be no way of knowing they existed in the past. Somalis know they were present in Futuh not because it mentioned their language, but their ethnic group and tribes.

The difference here is the fact that any historic references about ancient or medieval Greater Somalia, with regards to a group of urban agro-pastoralists seafarers, describes the ancestors of the modern Somali people to a T. There was no major language shift, nor is there is any evidence that an alternative group lived on the Somali peninsula prior to its medieval designation as Barr es-Sumal. To accept your proposition is to also accept that this same mysterious group somehow ended up suffering a holocaust event at the hands of the Somali people.

If this had been truly the case, it would reflect on our genetics, our linguistics and our archaeology like it does with the old Greeks of Asia Minor, the Phoenicians of North Africa or the Celts of Europe in relation to the populations / groups that live there today. No such evidence exists in our case, only a direct continuum between the historic people and the modern people.
Harla had their tribes and locations mentioned, except Amir Nur burnt our lineage papers to get rid of nationalism at such an existential crisis.

Sultan Nur was ruler of Adal, the whole of Adal. Why would he only outlaw clans in the city of Harar when his influence and mandate clearly extended far beyond that city?

Many groups claim ties to Harar, contrary to your belief. How else did Harar have high status amongst the Muslims of the Horn? How else did Harar survive its dark ages and it’s siege? It’s just that modern imperialist forces aka Britain destroyed all of our relationships while handing over Harar to Ethiopia.

No one denied that, perhaps you aren’t aware but I have never made it a secret that I would like to see a Harar that recaptures its past relevance and glory.

I never said Somalis weren’t relevant in Adal, in fact they were a key player in the politics of the country. Imam Ahmed is not noted to have been with Somalis in the countryside; in fact that was his opposition the Sultan. The Sultan had majority Somali support; Imam Ahmed had to get it from the farmers. He went from village to village on horse recruiting men.

Imam Ahmed retired amongst the Somalis after his dispute with Sultan Umar Din about the alms-tax. The Sultan you are referring to is Abu-Bakr.

Bro are you calling Zarba Somali?😂 It was literally mentioned that Zarba was Harla. It literally means “by the river.” Wild hoteping there buddy. Not to mention Imam’s brother was chieftain of Hargaya, one of the OG Harari families that still live to this day😂.

Do you dispute the Futuh ranking the Zarba amongst the Somali during the mobilisation for the Conquest? Here they are placed right after the Girri and just before the Marehan;

“Then the tribe of Zarba came up after them. Their chieftain was the sultan Muhammad, son of the paternal aunt of the imam. With him were one-thousand- and-sixty notable infantry, and forty knights. The imam made them welcome and showed them his favour. He [sultan Muhammad] resided at Harar. The imam was exceedingly delighted at this and gave thanks to the Most High God.” (Futuh - P. 43)

Not true, in the Land of Somalis it is mentioned Imam Ahmed marched on to their settlement in Kidad. There was a great mighty river there, and they attacked mid-day. The whole Somali = nomad theory to hotep Harla is invalid.

Its obvious that for your theory to work, the term Somali in the Middle Ages would have to have had the exact same ethnic meaning as it does today. Its only then that you can play exclusionary ethnic politics with regards to the historical figures mentioned amongst and in the vicinity of other Somalis in the Futuh.

Its not ‘hotep’ when a primary source literally provides multiple concrete links between the Harla and the Somali. Its also not ‘hotep’ but in fact common knowledge that in Somali society there were occupational linked names such as the Tumal, the Bimal, and the Sumal, which only lends credence to Shimbiris’ thread. You are therefore misusing the word hotep.

For your theory to hold up against scrutiny you also have to ignore multiple other instances around the world, such as the case of the Arabs, where an ethnic name could also denote a occupational linked habit.

Bro stop the 🧢. There is no such thing in Somali and Arabic😂. Nice try there buddy. And if Harla are just Somalis with a slightly different dialect, then tell me what the war chant “Yahu, Yahu” means? Imam Ahmed used it in one of his expeditions before he mobilized Somali tribes.

“Ya Hu, Ya Hu” (O’ He, O’ He) is literally an Arabic poetic cry in reference to Allah (SWT) that was even used by the 13th century world renowned Rumi, a towering poet that the author of the Futuh was no doubt familiar with, and this cry is still in use with modern Dervishes. Its funny that you are invoking this as a some kind of ‘gotcha’ when it only emphasises that Adal and its leaders derived their legitimacy from Islam, and utilised the Arabic language to great effect.

Last edited:
‘Ga’ at the end in the Somali language has the same purpose as the English ‘The’ i.e ‘The Book’ = Buug-ga.

But you used ‘Dir’ to make a Harari claim on a specific excerpt of the Futuh concerning the Awash river, which is still known as the ‘River of Dir’ by the Somalis. I don’t get this side-quest of yours, as a river can have multiple names or meanings with different groups, what you highlighted above doesn’t link in any way with the passage of the Futuh you invoked earlier.

You have one of the Girri knights of Imam Ahmed literally having that clan/locality as part of their name; Ura‘i Šihāb ad-Dīn Gedayā Girri, who led them during the Conquest;

The second division comprised the people of Hargāyā, and the people of Šawa, the companions of Kūšem whom he put under the command of Kūšem Nūr; the people of Hubat who were under Abu Bakr Qaṭin; and the people of Gedayā who were with their lord Ura‘i Šihāb ad-Dīn Gedayā Girri.” (Futuh - P.125)

The difference here is the fact that any historic references about ancient or medieval Greater Somalia, with regards to a group of urban agro-pastoralists seafarers, describes the ancestors of the modern Somali people to a T. There was no major language shift, nor is there is any evidence that an alternative group lived on the Somali peninsula prior to its medieval designation as Barr es-Sumal. To accept your proposition is to also accept that this same mysterious group somehow ended up suffering a holocaust event at the hands of the Somali people.

If this had been truly the case, it would reflect on our genetics, our linguistics and our archaeology like it does with the old Greeks of Asia Minor, the Phoenicians of North Africa or the Celts of Europe in relation to the populations / groups that live there today. No such evidence exists in our case, only a direct continuum between the historic people and the modern people.

Sultan Nur was ruler of Adal, the whole of Adal. Why would he only outlaw clans in the city of Harar when his influence and mandate clearly extended far beyond that city?

No one denied that, perhaps you aren’t aware but I have never made it a secret that I would like to see a Harar that recaptures its past relevance and glory.

Imam Ahmed retired amongst the Somalis after his dispute with Sultan Umar Din about the alms-tax. The Sultan you are referring to is Abu-Bakr.

Do you dispute the Futuh ranking the Zarba amongst the Somali during the mobilisation for the Conquest? Here they are placed right after the Girri and just before the Marehan;

“Then the tribe of Zarba came up after them. Their chieftain was the sultan Muhammad, son of the paternal aunt of the imam. With him were one-thousand- and-sixty notable infantry, and forty knights. The imam made them welcome and showed them his favour. He [sultan Muhammad] resided at Harar. The imam was exceedingly delighted at this and gave thanks to the Most High God.” (Futuh - P. 43)

Its obvious that for your theory to work, the term Somali in the Middle Ages would have to have had the exact ethnic meaning as it does today. Its only then that you can play exclusionary ethnic politics with regards to the historical figures mentioned amongst and in the vicinity of other Somalis in the Futuh.

Its not ‘hotep’ when a primary source literally provides multiple concrete links between the Harla and the Somali. Its also not ‘hotep’ but in fact common knowledge that in Somali society there were occupational linked names such as the Tumal, the Bimal, and the Sumal, which only lends credence to Shimbiris’ thread. You are therefore misusing the word hotep.

For your theory to hold up against scrutiny you also have to ignore multiple other instances around the world, such as the case of the Arabs, where an ethnic name could also denote a occupational linked habit.

“Ya Hu, Ya Hu” (O’ He, O’ He) is literally an Arabic poetic cry in reference to Allah (SWT) that was even used by the 13th century world renowned Rumi, a towering poet that the author of the Futuh was no doubt familiar with, and this cry is still in use with modern Dervishes. Its funny that you are invoking this as a some kind of ‘gotcha’ when it only emphasises that Adal and its leaders derived their legitimacy from Islam, and utilised the Arabic language to great effect.
Would be surprised if he can make any reply to this whatsoever

Badlay conquered all the way to Suakin, Sudan. He invaded all the lands Imam Ahmed did, except he did it with imperial style. He did it a hundred years before Imam Ahmed, the first of its kind in a long time. It’s not befitting to be called “killer of bandits.” True royalty, may Allah bless them both.

Interesting, I didn’t know there was such word. But that means that Badlay probably referred to his high status as a royal conqueror.

Good observation. The thing is, “zal” is a negation (kinda like a prefix). You put it before the noun. Another example is “zal uga,” meaning “wrong road.” Zalbad means wrong country literally.

When you look at the word of Badlay the way you did, I realized that if you flip the order around it means something else. Laybad would be “the top land,” which would be more befitting of highland. But Badlay suggests there is someone or something above the land. So it makes sense in the context that he was very royal-like.
IMG_2055.jpeg

Screenshot_20240422-005558_Gallery.jpg

Yeah all I was trying to say that the Harari etymology for Dir is most likely because the Harari etymology refers to a geographical term “plain,” while the Somali etymology doesn’t.

Girri means giraffe in the Harari and Somali language. Why did Arab Faqih need to add Gedaya before Girri? Is there two Girri, Gedaya Girri and Somali Girri?
The difference here is the fact that any historic references about ancient or medieval Greater Somalia, with regards to a group of urban agro-pastoralists seafarers, describes the ancestors of the modern Somali people to a T.
😂what references?
There was no major language shift, nor is there is any evidence that an alternative group lived on the Somali peninsula prior to its medieval designation as Barr es-Sumal. To accept your proposition is to also accept that this same mysterious group somehow ended up suffering a holocaust event at the hands of the Somali people.
It wasn’t referred to as Barr es-Somal, it was referred to as Bilad Al-Barbar. There is no connection between Barbar and Somali. In fact one of the earliest mention of Somali was from Hararis, they called Somalis “Tumur.” Barbar is more closely tied to Hararis because our literal greeting is tied to the word Bar. The city of Malao literally means “they filled it” in Geysinan. Mosylon is literally Masalegn in Geysinan. Avalites is literally the Harari word for Zeila, Aftal.
Source?
Because after Imam Ahmed and the Oromo migrations, Adal’s authority was only limited to the towns. Somali tribes just dipped from the scene when Oromo came, the same way the Sultans dipped when they lost power. It’s why the same Somali clans are still alive and all the Harla ones are gone.

there is absolutely no mention of Zarba being Somali, only thing it says is “then the tribe of Zarba came.” If you go to another page in the book, Zarba was listed amongst the Harla when the narrator was listing all tribes in battle.
It’s obvious that for your theory to work, the term Somali in the Middle Ages would have to have had the exact same ethnic meaning as it does today. It’s only then that you can play exclusionary ethnic politics with regards to the historical figures mentioned amongst and in the vicinity of other Somalis in the Futuh.
Bro what? All the same Somali clans are alive today and all speak the same language, At Somali. Arab Faqih mentioned y’all accurately, he made it clear who was Somali and who wasn’t.
It’s not ‘hotep’ when a primary source literally provides multiple concrete links between the Harla and the Somali. Its also not ‘hotep’ but in fact common knowledge that in Somali society there were occupational linked names such as the Tumal, the Bimal, and the Sumal, which only lends credence to Shimbiris’ thread. You are therefore misusing the word hotep.
There is literally ties between Harla and Somali, but they are not the same ethnic group. Yes there are occupationally linked names amongst the Somali, but don’t forget there are “Tumtu” in Harar and amongst the Oromo. Oromo and Somali looked down upon those occupational castes, Hararis didn’t. Either way, based on the logic of Somali not being an ethnic group but an occupational title, then it shouldn’t be Harla but Harlamaal. Correct me where I’m wrong with his theory.
“Ya Hu, Ya Hu” (O’ He, O’ He) is literally an Arabic poetic cry in reference to Allah (SWT) that was even used by the 13th century world renowned Rumi, a towering poet that the author of the Futuh was no doubt familiar with, and this cry is still in use with modern Dervishes. It’s funny that you are invoking this as a some kind of ‘gotcha’ when it only emphasises that Adal and its leaders derived their legitimacy from Islam, and utilised the Arabic language to great effect.
I doubt that’s what they meant. Yahu means “here you go” in Geysinan and it’s the same thing as the Amharic word “yihēwilot.” If the Amxaro heard this, it would scare them. Of course the Muslims still praised Allah when attacking, and they would recite the Quran and stuff.

Yeah all I was trying to say that the Harari etymology for Dir is most likely because the Harari etymology refers to a geographical term “plain,” while the Somali etymology doesn’t.

Girri means giraffe in the Harari and Somali language. Why did Arab Faqih need to add Gedaya before Girri? Is there two Girri, Gedaya Girri and Somali Girri?

😂what references?

It wasn’t referred to as Barr es-Somal, it was referred to as Bilad Al-Barbar. There is no connection between Barbar and Somali. In fact one of the earliest mention of Somali was from Hararis, they called Somalis “Tumur.” Barbar is more closely tied to Hararis because our literal greeting is tied to the word Bar. The city of Malao literally means “they filled it” in Geysinan. Mosylon is literally Masalegn in Geysinan. Avalites is literally the Harari word for Zeila, Aftal.

Source?

Because after Imam Ahmed and the Oromo migrations, Adal’s authority was only limited to the towns. Somali tribes just dipped from the scene when Oromo came, the same way the Sultans dipped when they lost power. It’s why the same Somali clans are still alive and all the Harla ones are gone.

there is absolutely no mention of Zarba being Somali, only thing it says is “then the tribe of Zarba came.” If you go to another page in the book, Zarba was listed amongst the Harla when the narrator was listing all tribes in battle.

Bro what? All the same Somali clans are alive today and all speak the same language, At Somali. Arab Faqih mentioned y’all accurately, he made it clear who was Somali and who wasn’t.

There is literally ties between Harla and Somali, but they are not the same ethnic group. Yes there are occupationally linked names amongst the Somali, but don’t forget there are “Tumtu” in Harar and amongst the Oromo. Oromo and Somali looked down upon those occupational castes, Hararis didn’t. Either way, based on the logic of Somali not being an ethnic group but an occupational title, then it shouldn’t be Harla but Harlamaal. Correct me where I’m wrong with his theory.

I doubt that’s what they meant. Yahu means “here you go” in Geysinan and it’s the same thing as the Amharic word “yihēwilot.” If the Amxaro heard this, it would scare them. Of course the Muslims still praised Allah when attacking, and they would recite the Quran and stuff.

This guy is hilarious :russ:

Meanwhile the software engineers over at Europa Universalis 4 have Walashma and Karanle featured in their game while the whole world is eagerly waiting for Universalis 5 to drop which will be the most epic war strategy game yet to be released. It seems the white man did his research :dead:

IMG_0029.png

IMG_2558.jpeg

IMG_2560.jpeg

IMG_2575.jpeg

Yes but no ties to Somali whatsoever.
What? Who do you think was living in the ancient Somali peninsula then? Who were the people that Arabs were referring to?

Furthermore, are you implying Hararis were living in southern Somalia? Because when Ibn Battuta visited Mogadishu, he referred to the Somali speaking sultan as a "Barbar", meaning there is a clear and blatant connection between the name Somali and Barbar.

😂what references?

Source?

somali word for giraffe is geri, not girri.

also, am I seriously seeing someone trying to hotep the ancient somali city states? Maybe he truly is habarsteven. when ur done claiming the northern cities, why not start claim sarapion in the south kkkkkkkkkkk

What? Who do you think was living in the ancient Somali peninsula then? Who were the people that Arabs were referring to?

Furthermore, are you implying Hararis were living in southern Somalia? Because when Ibn Battuta visited Mogadishu, he referred to the Somali speaking sultan as a "Barbar", meaning there is a clear and blatant connection between the name Somali and Barbar.
Just cause you live in one port city doesn’t mean you inhabited the whole region. People used to set up outposts on the coast for trade.

Muqdashi has two etymologies, the Harari “hot land” one, and the Somali “sight killer” one. Bar is a Harari greeting. “Barakh” means “are you blessed?” In Harari grammar, when you repeat something it turns into a noun. So Barbar is “the blessed.”

Just cause you live in one port city doesn’t mean you inhabited the whole region. People used to set up outposts on the coast for trade.

Muqdashi has two etymologies, the Harari “hot land” one, and the Somali “sight killer” one. Bar is a Harari greeting. “Barakh” means “are you blessed?” In Harari grammar, when you repeat something it turns into a noun. So Barbar is “the blessed.”
even muqdisho has a harari etymology now? whats next? what does Rome mean in harari?

im actually bewildered

Just cause you live in one port city doesn’t mean you inhabited the whole region
Except Leo Africanus stated that the people of Zeila were the same people who lived in Mogadishu. Ibn Battuta may have said something similar as well IIRC. Point is, there is clear Somali presence all across the region with from the names of the areas, to the genetic homogeneity of Somalis to contemporary descriptions.

Except Leo Africanus stated that the people of Zeila were the same people who lived in Mogadishu. Ibn Battuta may have said something similar as well IIRC. Point is, there is clear Somali presence all across the region with from the names of the areas, to the genetic homogeneity of Somalis to contemporary descriptions.
Ibn Batuta said the ruler of Maqdashi was a Barbar from like the ones in the north. It doesn’t mean the whole southern region was Barbar; it just means that the city state of Maqdashi was.

Trending

Latest posts