Is religion a barrier against existential dread?

Is religion a barrier against existential dread?

• Yes

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
If you're going to have this forum, I can't think of a bigger question then this. Answer to this also will give you the foundation to build your morality on.

Consider the question to be about both the individual, and the larger society as a whole because both are synonmous with each other.

Yes however existential dread is a first world problem. Poor people without any food and shelter only think about where their next meal is coming from. It's a ridiculous feeling.

Last edited:
If you're going to have this forum, I can't think of a bigger question then this. Answer to this also will give you the foundation to build your morality on.

Consider the question to be about both the individual, and the larger society as a whole because both are synonmous with each other.
Great question. First of all are you Muslim?

Well judging by the exact wording of the question itself, it seems to me like you're asking whether religion was created solely for the purpose of reassuring the individual of his fate, and to that I say of course not.

Well judging by the exact wording of the question itself, it seems to me like you're asking whether religion was created solely for the purpose of reassuring the individual of his fate, and to that I say of course not.
That would imply an individual or individuals collectively created it for the reassurance of others and that it serves no legitimate purpose at all (logically).

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
That would imply an individual or individuals collectively created it for the reassurance of others and that it serves no legitimate purpose at all (logically).

Let me clarify. The beniefts one gains from having strong faith, does that shield you the individual, and society as well, being it is an extension of you, from existential dread.

Looking at it objectively, it makes clear sense that it is indeed a shield that protects you from literal meaninglessness.

Understanding this point helps puts into perspective one's view of reality, again individually and on a large scale societal level. Say yes, and you acknowledge that which we have no answer to, answer no, and the question is irrelevant for you because it simply isn't in your reality.

Lol if we are honest the people who avoid an existential crisis tend to be the die hard atheist and the devout religious mosque attendee. Those who are in the middle and jump back and forth between both planes tend to suffer the most.

Phiirso

Getting draids inshallah
Lol if we are honest the people who avoid an existential crisis tend to be the die hard atheist and the devout religious mosque attendee. Those who are in the middle and jump back and forth between both planes tend to suffer the most.

Suffering is part of life. It's unwillingness to accept that simple fact that brings more suffering to people.

The religious one has eliminated the need to feel suffering because one prayer is all it takes to flood his brain with those oh so juicy neuro-chemicals that make us happy. The die-hard atheist just lives a life of pleasure but even he knows how utterly empty it is. But drugs and booze have a habit of making you forget that fact.

Suffering is part of life. It's unwillingness to accept that simple fact that brings more suffering to people.

The religious one has eliminated the need to feel suffering because one prayer is all it takes to flood his brain with those oh so juicy neuro-chemicals that make us happy. The die-hard atheist just lives a life of pleasure but even he knows how utterly empty it is. But drugs and booze have a habit of making you forget that fact.

Not only drugs and booze. Literally doing anything not related to survival is simply a distraction from death.

BankaTuyo

حيران
Not only a shield from existential dread, but also a mechanism to cope with unjust hardships of life, hence why the most backward societies are extremely religious.

Trending