Is Pland region GDP Per capita higher than Sland region?

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Noone is rich in Somalia today, lakin in mathatmatics everything can be measured and you can't say poverty can't be measured, povery scales high and low also. So Somalia can be measured on poverty index on which regions are worse then others. I think PL is doing better cause people come for work there, where-as PL people do not go to other towns for work. Indicating there must not be anything 'incentive' in other regions.

I wouldn't travel to Thailand for Work because Australia is more incentive, it's similar in Somalia, why do they come to PL all these chefs, waiters, etc if not for better life economically speaking. U will find Madow are rich in the construction trade, they took advantage of sector that is missing labor due to 'job snobs' in PL who won't do this work.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Numbers will be increase after Garowe investment and sign contract for our fish to be sell on the high seas.

What is poverty. Is poverty when u can't feed or house yourself? is poverty when you don't have material possessions? even the word needs strict definition. I consider ultimate poverty when you cannot achieve what animals achieve which is 'food security', even animals don't starve, so in my book you must be ranked below an animal since the animal has a quality of survival that you lack. I wouldn't even group starving people with humanity branch, ninkasi bin adan ima ahaa, hayawanka ayaa dhaamo oo wax laga baran karo ileen isagu cuntadisa ma waayo halka adigu waa waaysee.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
@MoeMoney we will do an experiment, we will bring a sample of each Somali region participants. We want to see if he can feed himself without 'hand outs' from family or society. We will perform this test over a duration of period and see the result. As of now people in Somalia are relying on hand out from diaspora, especially the urban ones. I am not worried for the nomads who can feed and house themselves, ninkasi ayaanu la shaqayn laha si aan uu gaadhsiyo the next stage of life, material possessions. I wouldn't waste my time in cities who rely on being fed by family n overseas. Wa dad dhintay weeye oo hayawanka ka liita

Hybrid()

Death Awaits You
I highly doubt people in hargeisa are that poor. most families send their kids to private schools and madrasa which is costly for the many large families. water and electricity isn’t cheap and people are still able to afford them. Also many of the people live in mansions.

There is a huge misconception in this thread about the meaning of the GDP. Gross Domestic product is the aggregation of the value of all final product (goods) , that are produced during a year, within the boundaries of country. In other words it is a measurement for the productivity of a country.

1) The first misconception is that the GDP per capita is a measurement for the average income of the country. The GDP has literally nothing to do with the income of the state, nor does the GDP per capita tells what the average person earns as an income. A simple example: A company produces cars and sells them and the annual sales are 20 Million dollars. If this is the only company of the country and the country has 1000 inhabitants, the GDP is 20 Million dollars and the GDP per capital is 20,000 dollars. So the GDP per capita is the productivity of the inhabitants per average, NOT the average income.

France has a GDP per capita of 35,100 Euro and the average income is something around 3000 Euro. Two completely unrelated things.

As a footnote @Bohol the decentralization of Puntlands economy has no inevitable connection to a higher GDP or GDP per capita. One big company can be more productive than 1000 other small companies combined.

2) Now to the core statement of the thread: That Puntland has a higher GDP than Somaliland is impossible and doesn't make sense at all. The only produced goods of both states that matter are livestock and services, since both don't have an industry. As for livestock we all know that the Berbera port exported three times the size of Bosaaso, before the livestock ban. As for services, without any doubt, there are more services provided in Somaliland and it isn't even close at all, since Somaliland has more than two times more inhabitants. The services provided in Hargeysa and Burco alone with a combined population bigger than Puntland are even higher.

3) MAYBE Puntland has a higher GDP per capita, but this wouldn't surprise me due to their lower population. As @Apollo correctly pointed out, there is no reliable estimation for this.

Warya @Teeri-Alpha come in, this is a debate for you. Correct me if i'm wrong.

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
There is a huge misconception in this thread about the meaning of the GDP. Gross Domestic product is the aggregation of the value of all final product (goods) , that are produced during a year, within the boundaries of country. In other words it is a measurement for the productivity of country.

1) The first misconception is that the GDP per capita is a measurement for the average income of the country. The GDP has literally nothing to do with the income of the the state, nor does the GDP per capita tells what the average person earns as an income. A simple example: A company produces cars and sells them and the annual sales are 20 Million dollars. If this is the only company of the country and the country has 1000 inhabitants, the GDP is 20 Million dollars and the GDP per capital is 20,000 dollars. So the GDP per capita is the productivity of the inhabitants per average, NOT the average income.

France has a GDP per capita of 35,100 Euro and the average income is something around 3000 Euro. Two completely unrelated things.

As a footnote @Bohol the decentralization of Puntlands economy has no inevitable connection to a higher GDP or GDP per capita. One big company can be more productive than 1000 other small companies combined.

2) Now to the core statement of the thread: That Puntland has a higher GDP than Somaliland is impossible and doesn't make sense at all. The only produced goods of both states that matter are livestock and services, since both don't have an industry. As for livestock we all know that the Berbera port exported three times the size of Bosaaso, before the livestock ban around. As for services, without any doubt, there are more services provided in Somaliland and it isn't even close at all, since Somaliland has more than two times more inhabitants. The services provided in Hargeysa and Burco alone with a combined population bigger than Puntland are even higher.

3) MAYBE Puntland has a higher GDP per capita, but this wouldn't surprise me due to their lower population. As @Apollo correctly pointed out, there is no reliable estimation for this.

How can PL be lower population yet not an inch of land missing from these so called larger population. If all Puntlanders settled, you would get 4 HAMAR SIZED CITIES, you forget to remember who owns the livestock, its mainly puntlanders. You cant hold onto land that large in burbur era and tell me they are not large clan. Large clan is determined by land size for nomads, there is no other mechanism i can accept

40k people can translate to 4000 homes in a city with household of 5 people per home. 1 reer miyi can have a house per 5 people which is the statistics so far in urban areas. U cud potentially have heaps of homes in PL to show it large to your naked eye observation of cities. But cities dont matter to me anyways they're urbanized, they cant fight if you take theyre lifelines of air, checkpoints, they get caged. Security is determined by MIYI who has open lifelines and not on the road.

Infact the more settled a population becomes the more at risk u r to being 'caged' and doomed to government control. I always reiterate to keep our rural areas how they are and only make one or two cities. I dont like this idea of every clan creating his own tuulo or settling, and dont u dare put a road there cause that will cause them to be no different to any other city in somalia hostage to govt rule.

We need to copy the ogaden settlement pattern, this is wise. Split your population in different geographic areas, do not have them all settle in one area, if one dies, others continue while also havin reer miyi strong holds who are off grid and not hostage to any govt rule and only ruled by dhaqan or elders

Yes I will listen to @Teeri-Alpha who has split his population into ogadeniya-somalia-nfd, but he also limited 'complete settlement' he has high ratio of rural and smaller 'urban' populations trickling thru ogadeniya and nfd and jubbaland. His obviously not interested in a kismayo situation like the harti settlers where they r caged to reer miyi ogaden from nfd to jubbada hoose. He is cutting trees in 'jubada dhexe' so it becomes desert kelebku but he tells ppl its ganacsi charcoal no its not you liar thats how u capture lands dont u? so the Madow-rahanwayn flee who are not camel herders and he takes over the land, nacala kugu yaal ogadene. He is applying climate change war, like old invaders of darod did. He will continue following the desert untill it reaches kikuyu land and then cut theyre trees huh, nacala kugu yaal, then its tanzania ill south africa.

You will be stopped @Teeri-Alpha to make africa a homeland of desert dwellers and farmers flee who cant adapt, keleb will say how he invaded to his kids but he never did, he applied a climate change war tactic

Last edited:

repo

Bantu Liberation Movement
VIP
There is a huge misconception in this thread about the meaning of the GDP. Gross Domestic product is the aggregation of the value of all final product (goods) , that are produced during a year, within the boundaries of country. In other words it is a measurement for the productivity of a country.

1) The first misconception is that the GDP per capita is a measurement for the average income of the country. The GDP has literally nothing to do with the income of the state, nor does the GDP per capita tells what the average person earns as an income. A simple example: A company produces cars and sells them and the annual sales are 20 Million dollars. If this is the only company of the country and the country has 1000 inhabitants, the GDP is 20 Million dollars and the GDP per capital is 20,000 dollars. So the GDP per capita is the productivity of the inhabitants per average, NOT the average income.

2) Now to the core statement of the thread: That Puntland has a higher GDP than Somaliland is impossible and doesn't make sense at all. The only produced goods of both states that matter are livestock and services, since both don't have an industry. As for livestock we all know that the Berbera port exported three times the size of Bosaaso, before the livestock ban. As for services, without any doubt, there are more services provided in Somaliland and it isn't even close at all, since Somaliland has more than two times more inhabitants. The services provided in Hargeysa and Burco alone with a combined population bigger than Puntland are even higher.

Bosaso exported more livestock than Berbera for the last 2 years according to the UN agency FAO SWALIM.

Bosaso exported more livestock than Berbera for the last 2 years according to the UN agency FAO SWALIM.

If you would have read carefully, you'd see that i was referring to the export before the livestock ban - which was before 2 years. As for the last 2 years, there are no reliable figures, just guesstimations. The livestock ban has affected both ports that is for sure.

Nevertheless, since both states don't have an industry and Somalilands major cities (Hargeysa, Burco, Boorama) have a population of 2 Million and Puntlands major cities a population around a million (Bosaaso, Garoowe, partly Galkacyo), there is no way the GDP can be even close. No sane person would argue against that.

This 'google source' claims PL has a GDP of 5 Billion and Somaliland 1.9 Billion. Only someone with no economical knowledge could believe such a bullshit.
:chrisfreshhah:

repo

VIP
If you would have read carefully, you'd see that i was referring to the export before the livestock ban - which was before 2 years. As for the last 2 years, there are no reliable figures, just guesstimations. The livestock ban has affected both ports that is for sure.

Nevertheless, since both states don't have an industry and Somalilands major cities (Hargeysa, Burco, Boorama) have a population of 2 Million and Puntlands major cities a population around a million (Bosaaso, Garoowe, partly Galkacyo), there is no way the GDP can be even close. No sane person would argue against that.

This 'google source' claims PL has a GDP of 5 Billion and Somaliland 1.9 Billion. Only someone with no economical knowledge could believe such a bullshit.
7uJnzEa.png

http://www.fsnau.org/downloads/Market-Data-Update-May-2019.pdf

ACF255E1-25A1-4CB0-ADBF-69C72997D472.png

It’s all to do with geography, Berbera is the closest port for the vast majority of Somali nomads. Generally speaking, a nomad will choose the closest port facility irrespective of their clan affiliation. In addition to geography, historically traders from Burxo were always the biggest exporters of Somali livestock, this was true even before the Somali state. Lastly, the largest importer in Saudi is a man named Al Jabiri, and he solely deal with SL traders.

Even Siad Barre and his kacaan could not end Somalilanders’ monopoly of livestock trade, despite trying very hard. It’s due to a combination of factors involving geography, historical links, and logistical business know-how.

repo

VIP
All I did was correct a false statement and these kids are giving me a history lesson as if I'm enrolled in the University of Burco. :gucciwhat:

war its fake, anyone can go and edit Wikipedia with an email, i can go there right now and write the president of china is Bin-Laden, sure it will be changed, IMF last year placed Somalias entire GDP at around $5 to $6 billion, CIA world economic fact book estimate it round 6 to 7 billion $ with 5 billion in debt, where the xamar fake government received 160 million in taxes in 2018 and $300 million in IMF loans

if Somalilands GDP is £1.8 billion, i think its over estimated, i think its closer to around $1.2 billion, but i promise you Puntlands GDP at best is 40% of that, worst around 25% of that, no way is Puntland $5.7 billion when Somalia proper as a whole is $ 5 to $6 billion, according to various data agencies like IMF, CIA, World bank, BIS, OECD and Paris Club,

if you used Wikipedia as a source in my university days, you were automatically failed for that theses/exam immediately, in fact we were warned about,

bro no one really knows data for Somalia, which is why we have started a economic collection data for institutions like IMF, inflation, GDP, exports, imports etc, we also did the same for Ogadeniya as Ethiopia its self is shyt hole when ti comes to collecting real data even for adis abab, its a very recent project,

almost every economci data, population census and political freedom about somali and ethiopia is fake, no one has ever done census on both nations, inflation figures is made up, no real world over sight, they make it up and out of their futo

How can PL be lower population yet not an inch of land missing from these so called larger population. If all Puntlanders settled, you would get 4 HAMAR SIZED CITIES, you forget to remember who owns the livestock, its mainly puntlanders. You cant hold onto land that large in burbur era and tell me they are not large clan. Large clan is determined by land size for nomads, there is no other mechanism i can accept

40k people can translate to 4000 homes in a city with household of 5 people per home. 1 reer miyi can have a house per 5 people which is the statistics so far in urban areas. U cud potentially have heaps of homes in PL to show it large to your naked eye observation of cities. But cities dont matter to me anyways they're urbanized, they cant fight if you take theyre lifelines of air, checkpoints, they get caged. Security is determined by MIYI who has open lifelines and not on the road.

Infact the more settled a population becomes the more at risk u r to being 'caged' and doomed to government control. I always reiterate to keep our rural areas how they are and only make one or two cities. I dont like this idea of every clan creating his own tuulo or settling, and dont u dare put a road there cause that will cause them to be no different to any other city in somalia hostage to govt rule.

We need to copy the ogaden settlement pattern, this is wise. Split your population in different geographic areas, do not have them all settle in one area, if one dies, others continue while also havin reer miyi strong holds who are off grid and not hostage to any govt rule and only ruled by dhaqan or elders

Yes I will listen to @Teeri-Alpha who has split his population into ogadeniya-somalia-nfd, but he also limited 'complete settlement' he has high ratio of rural and smaller 'urban' populations trickling thru ogadeniya and nfd and jubbaland. His obviously not interested in a kismayo situation like the harti settlers where they r caged to reer miyi ogaden from nfd to jubbada hoose. He is cutting trees in 'jubada dhexe' so it becomes desert kelebku but he tells ppl its ganacsi charcoal no its not you liar thats how u capture lands dont u? so the Madow-rahanwayn flee who are not camel herders and he takes over the land, nacala kugu yaal ogadene. He is applying climate change war, like old invaders of darod did. He will continue following the desert untill it reaches kikuyu land and then cut theyre trees huh, nacala kugu yaal, then its tanzania ill south africa.

You will be stopped @Teeri-Alpha to make africa a homeland of desert dwellers and farmers flee who cant adapt, keleb will say how he invaded to his kids but he never did, he applied a climate change war tactic

dude easy with calling me a kalab, is this guy on cracks?

:gucciwhat::gucciwhat:

in case of one nation with massive population (India) against another (USA) we economists use a GDP format called PPP, purchasing power (price) parity, a fancy data set created in early 1990s by UN economists, it just compares living costs in average countries and something called the Big Mc, how many hours does an Indian have to work to afford a big mac in his nation and vice versa etc, and productivity and their missed opportunity cost as a nation,

something called the big mac index, it makes it easier to see productivity, living costs, what their true potential is etc,

i personally do not like GDP and prefer GNP and also the Rothbard-Salerno version rather than the version we have had for the last 65 years, developed in the 1950s, it double counts government investment as investment when its already calculating in the savings section since money taxed must be earned through wage or capital growth or dividends to begin with, GDP has many flaws, but something the layman should not be too worried about,

Last edited:

no offence brother abdirahamn, but even your population data is made up, no one has done census for somalia since 1975 and even that one was made up by siad barre, Ethiopia also has never done it so, so all we can say is any claims by Somalis and Ethiopians is unfortunate estimated using the birth/death model and the estimated per female reproductive kids per woman estimate,

no one really knows, also we have no idea how many of these estimate to have been born actually live to an adult age since child mortality is very high in horn of Africa,

i flew from kismayo to xamar to Berber and was shocked at how empty our lands are, so few people its amazing we fight over barren rocks,

so next time you claim a number sold like 2 million, where is your evidence bro?

SirLancelLord

Reformation of Somaliland
VIP
no offence brother abdirahamn, but even your population data is made up, no one has done census for somalia since 1975 and even that one was made up by siad barre, Ethiopia also has never done it so, so all we can say is any claims by Somalis and Ethiopians is unfortunate estimated using the birth/death model and the estimated per female reproductive kids per woman estimate,

no one really knows, also we have no idea how many of these estimate to have been born actually live to an adult age since child mortality is very high in horn of Africa,

i flew from kismayo to xamar to Berber and was shocked at how empty our lands are, so few people its amazing we fight over barren rocks,

so next time you claim a number sold like 2 million, where is your evidence bro?

You can make a slightly more accurate estimation with Somaliland.

Look up the registered voters / election forgot turnout for the 05 / 10 / 12 / 17 elections and average them out

@Teeri-Alpha a lot of input Ugaas and as i expected you went a little bit to far for the layman of sspot, who doesn't even know the meaning of the GDP, but still very informative.

As for you question, yes it is truth that there was never a real census for Somalia since 1975, but the UN census of 2014 is widely accepted as somehow reliable and i based my assumptions on this. The UN census gives a population of 3,5 Million for Somaliland and 1,5 Million for Puntland. Furthermore Hargeysa has an area size of more than 70 km square and Burco over 30 km Square, whereas Garoowe + Nugaal have an area size of 25 Km square combined. As for Berbera it is not a secret that it is very low populated, due to the climate there. And the time you fled xamar, Isaaq terrority was empty, because of the civil war.

In the end of the day there is little to no reliable sources for east Africa, especially Somalia that is a fact. I agree on this. But that Puntland has less than half the population compared to SL is common sense. Just the major cities sizes are to obvious. Or antoher examples : Puntland had 15 k students, where Somaliland had 30 K students in their final exams.

Edit: Why do you think the GNP is a better measurement ? I mean you can't really incorporate Somalis abroad, since all of them have a foreign passport. Wouldn't it be wrong to include the productivity of 'foreigners', just because they have Somali lineage ?

Last edited:
@Teeri-Alpha a lot of input Ugaas and as i expected you went a little bit to far for the layman of sspot, who doesn't even know the meaning of the GDP, but still very informative.

As for you question, yes it is truth that there was never a real census for Somalia since 1975, but the UN census of 2014 is widely accepted as somehow reliable and i based my assumptions on this. The UN census gives a population of 3,5 Million for Somaliland and 1,5 Million for Puntland. Furthermore Hargeysa has an area size of more than 70 km square and Burco over 30 km Square, whereas Garoowe + Nugaal have an area size of 25 Km square combined. As for Berbera it is not a secret that it is very low populated, due to the climate there. And the time you fled xamar, Isaaq terrority was empty, because of the civil war.

In the end of the day there is little to no reliable sources for east Africa, especially Somalia that is a fact. I agree on this. But that Puntland has less than half the population compared to SL is common sense. Just the major cities sizes are to obvious. Or antoher examples : Puntland had 15 k students, where Somaliland had 30 K students in their final exams.

Edit: Why do you think the GNP is a better measurement ? I mean you can't really incorporate Somalis abroad, since all of them have a foreign passport. Wouldn't it be wrong to include the productivity of 'foreigners', just because they have Somali lineage ?

thank you, no one doubts 1door has more people, common sense shows comparing a tribe to a clan is expect to usually show the whole tribe is bigger, and since 95% of 1door live in 1dooristan its likely to have more people,

GNP as a whole is betetr, not becaseu of somalia, but as a whole its easier, since Apple fro exmaple makes fones in china, it doesnt matter since whole profits return to USA and 95% of the value added stays in the USA,

somalis so many export and own export firms in kenya, ethiopia, Djibouti etc, how many 1door business man operate in dubai, djabooty yet import and export from somalialnd? sadly all the Value added and profits door make it calculated by GDP into UAE/Djabooty thus 1dooristan missing massive value, since i am sure profits are returned d to somaliand its not like they keep it in dubai forever but we dont have this, we dont have the economic departments to iron these out, so i suspect somalilands economy is much bigger than estimates since many expects do business around africa, 1door are big in kenya, Tanzania, arab nations, egypt, djabooty, yet when they return profits not added to somaliland gdp but when Apple does its added to USA economy despite Apple keeping hundreds of billions in Dublin banks to avoid massive US taxes, its hypocrisy of the west to always over estimate their eocnomies

or when an Ogaden reer kismayo opens a factory in zambia, and takes back profits to kismayo, who dont it belong to? this si why GNP is better and GDP and both GND still have many bad flaws, its double accounting, and dont even get me started on how money supply distort gdp and makes it look much bigger than it really is, thats for another day,