Is it time for Somalia to accept what it is and move forward?

Status
Not open for further replies.
can you blame them after 91 lol, and I don't see whats so wrong with that, let them all control they're areas, and have an equal say in the country through regional presidents
Its not how the real world works. No one cares for somalis and their illogical thinking.

That’s a good idea but it’s not gonna happen. They will keep doing the same things and as a result staying in the same place.

Despite what a lot of people have been saying it’s actually better when regional leaders are in control of their own security. The fgs is struggling with just muqdisho so how are they doing to help people in southern states? If there was a banadir state, they could take care of xamar and it would be easier for them because they would be focused on that. And plus they would be the same clan as the locals so more support.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
I've always leaned more centralist but this Confederacy setup might work.

However, instead of 5-6 members we need 30.

This would prevent regional warlords with too much power coming into existence like today.

Also they can't group up and oppress another state unless they have a coalition of 20+ members.

That's 66% but with our current federal system that's only 3 states... This would bring more stability.

10,000 sq km would give all 30 enough space to develop industries and multiple cities and towns.

Xamar itself is only 150 sq km~

However the biggest issue is the question of resources sharing.

What if all the commercially accessible minerals and ores are in the north and
all the major water resources are in one state?

Some states might end up with zero resources in the end.

Isn't that a reason enough for conflict?

Also minority clans might end up in those rich regions.

Do you think the powerful clans left in the desert won't be eying them?

I've always leaned more centralist but this Confederacy setup might work.

However, instead of 5-6 members we need 30.

This would prevent regional warlords with too much power coming into existence like today.

Also they can't group up and oppress another state unless they have a coalition of 20+ members.

That's 66% but with our current federal system that's only 3 states... This would bring more stability.

10,000 sq km would give all 30 enough space to develop industries and multiple cities and towns.

Xamar itself is only 150 sq km~

However the biggest issue is the question of resources sharing.

What if all the commercially accessible minerals and ores are in the north and
all the major water resources are in one state?

Some states might end up with zero resources in the end.

Isn't that a reason enough for conflict?

Also minority clans might end up in those rich regions.

Do you think the powerful clans left in the desert won't be eying them?
Train wreck waiting to happen either way

Somalis have to be realistic about the type of government they can have in the context of extreme resource scarcity.

A decentralized state with widely dispersed power is ideal for Somalis and their temperament HOWEVER the issue is that such a government is expensive--much more expensive than a centralized state that saves money by not replicating government structures--and it's unclear how such a poor country like Somalia will afford it. And please do not respond with projections about oil wealth and other fantasies--we need to deal in current reality.

Tukraq

VIP
Somalis have to be realistic about the type of government they can have in the context of extreme resource scarcity.

A decentralized state with widely dispersed power is ideal for Somalis and their temperament HOWEVER the issue is that such a government is expensive--much more expensive than a centralized state that saves money by not replicating government structures--and it's unclear how such a poor country like Somalia will afford it. And please do not respond with projections about oil wealth and other fantasies--we need to deal in current reality.
how are we affording it right now

how are we affording it right now

We're not.

At least 2 of the regional states are flat-out broke---Galmudug and Hiirsabelle---and the more functional ones (e.g. Puntland) have extremely modest budgets supported by resources inherited from the prior Somali state, such as the port of Bossaso for Puntland and the port of Berbera for Somaliland. These modest budgets are not enough to be a functional state---which is why the state trappings of both states are sparse outside of their capitals and big towns.

Tukraq

VIP
We're not.

At least 2 of the regional states are flat-out broke---Galmudug and Hiirsabelle---and the more functional ones (e.g. Puntland) have extremely modest budgets supported by resources inherited from the prior Somali state, such as the port of Bossaso for Puntland and the port of Berbera for Somaliland. These modest budgets are not enough to be a functional state---which is why the state trappings of both states are sparse outside of their capitals and big towns.
but they're "big towns" are numerous and spread out honestly, its not really centralized in one capital for puntland, although I agree to some degree with Hargeisa

but they're "big towns" are numerous and spread out honestly, its not really centralized in one capital for puntland, although I agree to some degree with Hargeisa

If it doesn't work for all the states, it's not a viable national solution. National implies nation-wide. And while certain regions may be marginally better suited to this arrangement, this is only marginal and the problem effects all very seriously.

Puntland, for example, has a chronic struggle to pay its civil servants and soldiers---I'm not saying this as a put-down, just to show the accuracy of my point regarding resource scarcity and how it constrains the development of diffuse government structures.

Farm

VIP
@Tukraq fam I want to like your thread but that map is giving me cancer.

ada.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts