• Results

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

Som

VIP
“Just came back from Somalia”
“Which part”
Hasan Minhaj Netflix GIF by Patriot Act
Still hard. If they say Xamar or any other bug city they could be from any qabil

Som

VIP
Who needs to ask anyways? Just look at their accent and ask what region of Somalia or Somali lands they are from by dropping some hints in the conversation. Then proceed to ask about villages if they are more knowledgeable.

as long as I know what region you come from I can narrow it down to the remaining options.

somalis in the diaspora heavily rep their states using bracelets

Work smarter not harder

Think About It GIF by Identity
My parents both come from outside Xamar/ the south and have a very neutral accent,they grew up in Xamar though. It's impossible to guess their qabil without directly asking.

Som

VIP
Who needs to ask anyways? Just look at their accent and ask what region of Somalia or Somali lands they are from by dropping some hints in the conversation. Then proceed to ask about villages if they are more knowledgeable.

as long as I know what region you come from I can narrow it down to the remaining options.

somalis in the diaspora heavily rep their states using bracelets

Work smarter not harder

Think About It GIF by Identity
And i also know several people with heavy Abgaal style reer Mogadishu accent who are actually Darood ( MJ, MX, Dh etc) who lived there before the war.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Just got back from Puntland. No one ever really asks. They do ask where you were born or came from and can probably sus you out based on your accent but I really never encountered someone bringing up my qabiil.

To me people who don't divulge their qabil are weird, what's there to hide? I don't have any prejudice towards a clan, lol if anything we can get to learn more about each other's history, politics, news etc.

I don't get why it has to be taboo.
Political stance & qabil go hand in hand most of the time,
Asking a mx,mj,or hawiye who they supported during the election is like asking a blue haired transgender who they voted for... Its self evident.

Asking a mx,mj,or hawiye who they supported during the election is like asking a blue haired transgender who they voted for... Its self evident.

I wasn't referring to political stance exactly, more like if I'm hearing something go down in, say Hargeisa or Merca, I can ask a friend whos reer lives there to give the scoop on what's going on. Let's be real, most sane Somalis know the political system in Somalia is a joke, I doubt anyone in the diaspora takes it serious.

Som

VIP
Just got back from Puntland. No one ever really asks. They do ask where you were born or came from and can probably sus you out based on your accent but I really never encountered someone bringing up my qabiil.
I visited my mom's area in SL as a kid. People asked me " Ina ayaa tahay" as a kid I had zero understanding of qabil and just said the name of my dad. After realizing I'm from the west people generally stopped asking or maybe asked people who know my reer abtis to guess. Before the age of 8ish I didn't even know what darood was and I'm Darood myself, first time I've heard that was in Somalia. My parents raised me to be anti qabilist. Until the age of 15-16 i had no clue of what my Somali friends qabil was cause nobody cared .

Som

VIP
Plenty MJs supported Farmaajo, just check the internet posts at the time of the elections a few months ago

Som

VIP
Knew he was tripping, nigga said its completely normal after asking me out of nowhere last year. Told him to chill you can’t jusk that suddenly. Still told my whole abtirsi kkkk

Two conflicting answers:mindblown:
Trust me. It's very weird to ask directly if you don't know that person or you've just met. It's also weird to lay out your abtirsi. People in big cities in Somalia or in the west don't ask directly, they just know your qabil through others who know you directly. It's considered rude. Abtirsi is like your address, you don't tel people your home address five minutes after meeting the.

Som

VIP
The polite way is to ask which city someone is from in Somalia.
Yes. And if they say Mogadishu or any other bug city it's impossible to know for sure. If they say some tuulo then you can be 80-90% sure but keep in mind most mid to big sized. Cities in Somalia are heavily mixed when it comes to qabil or sub clans

It most certainly isn’t but I’ve come across plenty of these people. I just hit them with why do you need to know that sorry ? I think it’s normal back home though.

LibaanSom

From Kismaayo
Was it Garowe or Basaaso? Big cities don’t rlly gaf.

Shimbiris

بىَر غىَل إيؤ عآنؤ لؤ
VIP
Was it Garowe or Basaaso? Big cities don’t rlly gaf.
Both. I landed in Bosaso, took a bus to Garowe, stayed there for a while and returned to Bosaso. We stopped at one or two really tiny "outposts" in-between for lunch. I wouldn't even call them tuulo. Literally like ten houses max, a gas station and some restaurants. So if I stopped in Qardho or Waci they'd ask? I did visit Laag but really just that beautiful oasis part and only saw some townsfolk there who were nice and minded their own business.

LibaanSom

From Kismaayo
Both. I landed in Bosaso, took a bus to Garowe, stayed there for a while and returned to Bosaso. We stopped at one or two really tiny "outposts" in-between for lunch. I wouldn't even call them tuulo. Literally like ten houses max, a gas station and some restaurants. So if I stopped in Qardho or Waci they'd ask? I did visit Laag but really just that beautiful oasis part and only saw some townsfolk there who were nice and minded their own business.
Not Qardho, Qardho is probably 5th biggest city, slightly before Badhan. Go to Carmo that’s a mid sized busy city and they’d probably ask, go to a tuulo/small sized town like Qandala, Laasqoray, Caluula and they’d 100% ask. No matter what you say though they wouldn’t care, and this is only if they know u well enough it’s ceeb to ask a complete stranger for there tribe.

Trending

Latest posts