Votes: 21 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Results

Votes: 3 5.6%

• Total voters

Som

VIP
I was taught it's rude to ask directly what is your qabil to people. If you meet somebody they either tell you or you can guess/ask to other people who know the person

Som

VIP
In Somalia? Yes

in the diaspora? It’s definitely not normal
In the diaspora it's a big no no. Back home it's ok but in a indirect way, they'll ask you who your father is or where in Somalia you are from to guess.
Before the war it was frowned upon even in Somalia, my parents told me they didn't even know the exact qabil of many of their school friends while growing up and only learned after the war

In the diaspora it's a big no no. Back home it's ok but in a indirect way, they'll ask you who your father is or where in Somalia you are from to guess.
Before the war it was frowned upon even in Somalia, my parents told me they didn't even know the exact qabil of many of their school friends while growing up and only learned after the war
Asking someones qabil during Barre era was seen as a hillbilly/lower class thing to do especially in big cities

The War changed everything

Periplus

Minister of Propaganda
VIP
I was at a function a few weeks ago and this guy that was around my age point blank asked what qabiil I was.

I was stunned for a second and my guy was shocked that I was shocked.

:dead:

“Just came back from Somalia”
“Which part”
Hasan Minhaj Netflix GIF by Patriot Act

Awad

عادل | جامعة الدفاع العربي
Yup, I only have allow myself to interact with a max 3 waqooyis :/

The Somali Caesar

King of Sarcasm• Location: Rent free in your head
VIP
Yes it's actually the first question that gets asked after they ask you how you doing. But luckily I come from a noble tribe so I don't have the need to hide it :sass2:

People got confuse with my accent and to confuse more I say I am from Mogadishu .then they gave up and ask directly which qabiil am I 😂

But to answer your question it is weird to ask in diaspora but I think it is ok back home

To me people who don't divulge their qabil are weird, what's there to hide? I don't have any prejudice towards a clan, lol if anything we can get to learn more about each other's history, politics, news etc.

I don't get why it has to be taboo.

Who needs to ask anyways? Just look at their accent and ask what region of Somalia or Somali lands they are from by dropping some hints in the conversation. Then proceed to ask about villages if they are more knowledgeable.

as long as I know what region you come from I can narrow it down to the remaining options.

somalis in the diaspora heavily rep their states using bracelets

Work smarter not harder

Think About It GIF by Identity

Trending