Is it common for a guy to call girl walaal/walaaley if he’s trying to get to know her?

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Once I was trying to be extra nice to a somali guy who did me a favor, so I called him aboowe. I just wanted to show that i appreciated what he did for me, but realized that the moment the word left my lips how flirty it sounded :holeup: never again :drakekidding: As a girl who has no brothers, i don't know what to call men. So i just call them by their name. That's the whole reason they got a name to begin with ye? :umad:

I find walaal/walalo to be gender neutral and safer to use.

Aboowe is the equivalent of korean oppa. Might as well do this..

Will Ferrell Kiss GIF

whatever a guy ends up calling a woman (unless its derogatory) doesn't have any confusing intent so if you don't want him to call you that just express it to him he wont take offence if its making you uncomfortable

Gacmeey

Madaxweynaha Qurbo Joogta 🇸🇴
I was once at my aunts house and she had some of her neighbours come over. This middle aged woman was saying Salam to everyone and when she was saying Salam to me she called me abowe.

I was left so speechless the only thing that came out of my mouth was “huh”. When she left my aunt and my mom started laughing and explained that she calls everyone abowe and abaayo. I feel bad now cause imagine how embarrassed she must’ve felt
:mjlol:

For Northern fob men/women or fob inclined as I’ve met UK/Western ones that say that, it’s just a polite term that doesn’t really give much away. He could be into you or maybe he isn’t. It’s just polite. Although on the flip side, some do find it repulsive to say to a potential and it could be their way of friend/sister zoning you. Personally I find it eww to say it to a partner/potential partner. I only say it to my husband when I’m mad and It gets him irritated.

Hamzza

VIP
It's Qaldaan(Somaliland) language. In Somaliland a man will call his wife "Gabadheyda" instead of Xaaskeyga or Naagteyda, such a strange dialect.

It's Qaldaan(Somaliland) language. In Somaliland a man will call his wife "Gabadheyda" instead of Xaaskeyga or Naagteyda, such a strange dialect.
That’s normal.
It’s simply informal. Even in the West, they say my girl which can be used in exchange for my wife in informal settings. There is nothing qalad about that.

Hamzza

VIP
That’s normal.
It’s simply informal. Even in the West, they say my girl which can be used in exchange for my wife in informal settings. There is nothing qalad about that.
Gabadheyda translates to my daughter in English. It's hella weird, Imagine asking a man his daughter and he thinks you're coming for his wife.

Gabadheyda translates to my daughter in English, not my girl. It's hella weird, Imagine asking a man his daughter and he thinks you're coming for his wife.
The word gabad literally means girl in Somali and not daughter. Daughter in waqooyi Somali is inan which translates to daughter.

The word gabad literally means girl in Somali and not daughter. Daughter in waqooyi Somali is inan which translates to daughter.
That still sounds weird to a southerner in my opinion. You can’t refer to your wife as ‘Gabarteydi’. That’s how you refer to younger women who you see like a daughter of your own

Hamzza

VIP

Inan in my understanding is a girl that reached marriage age whether it's your daughter "Inantaada or another persons daughter.

That still sounds weird to a southerner in my opinion. You can’t refer to your wife as ‘Gabarteydi’. That’s how you refer to younger women who you see like a daughter of your own
Yes, I know but if you’re going to compare it to English for instance it’s fine. Gabar in Somali literally means girl. Southerner simply use it in two ways, girl and it also means daughter. By the way in Somali you can call a 25 yr old woman Gabad the cut off point would be a clear middle aged woman so
No it doesn’t always mean a very young woman. In Waqayooyi Somali they have the word inan for daughter.

Trending

Latest posts