Is decentralization the way forward for Somalia?

Bohol

VIP
Galdogob was like a village of few houses in the 90s and today it is the second biggest city in Mudug region after Galkacyo. Some of the ambulances in the video was donated by my cousin (she makes a lot of $). Diaspora plays a vital role in development of Somalia.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
Divided we'll be eaten up like appetizers.

Only United can we fend off the hyenas surrounding us.

You think any of our states could singlehandedly defend itself against Ethiopia or even worse China?

Bohol

VIP
Divided we'll be eaten up like appetizers.

Only United can we fend off the hyenas surrounding us.

You think any of our states could singlehandedly defend itself against Ethiopia or even worse China?

I am talking about in terms of development not army.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
The problem with centralization in Somalia is it will become a one city state like before (where resources are poured into one city). This way is better for development to be spread out across the country every village, town & city.

Imo we should all move to a single city in Somalia and focus all our investments there.

Does it really make sense to build thousands of kilometer of highways, transmission lines, railways, a dozen airports etc?

Let's do that when we have the capacity to spare.

A single city would allow us to develop a decent standard of living for a fraction of the costs it would take to duplicate it across 99 states.

Also a dense alpha city is where all the trade and innovation happens.

We'd be a lot more productive while being cost efficient.

Just one large portion, airport, waste treatment centre etc.

A couple billion dollars and we'd be set.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
I am talking about in terms of development not army.

Was talking in both terms.

Economically we'd all try to undermine each other and even if we didn't we wouldn't have any leverage over other larger countries in trade talks.

Why would SA give a single state a FTA when it could just roll over them and forde them to agree whatever they wanted through the leverage it has?

Bohol

VIP
Imo we should all move to a single city in Somalia and focus all our investments there.

Does it really make sense to build thousands of kilometer of highways, transmission lines, railways, a dozen airports etc?

A single city would allow us to develop a decent standard of living for a fraction of the costs it would take to duplicate it across 99 states.

That can only happen when Somalis are no longer tribal. If all Somalis invested in Mogadishu again I am sure it would have been 100x what it is now.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
That only happen when Somalis are no longer tribal. If all Somalis invested in Mogadishu again I am sure it would have been 100x what it is now.

The elites didn't gave a shit about tribal affiliations back then and neither will they now.

It's only low class moryaans that didn't have anything to lose that decided to burn things down.

As long as the elites in our communities see a benefit in cooperation then the plebs just have to get in line if they want jobs.

This is what happened in most the civilized world.

do you want somalia to be like other african countries with on metropolitan and the rest of the country slums who starve :mindblown: it would be bettter for every city to be at a medium level than one big city and the rest trash...besides dont you think somalis are too tribally possessive over their cities? even if everyone built on one city one tribe would take all the credit

Decentralization saw Somalia urbanize acrose the entire country and standards of living rise all over. Hilarious that 21 years of extremely centralized rule and Somalia actually regressed instead of progressing. Annual remittances that were less than 500 million in total dwarfed the actual Somali economy when we had a centralised government:drakelaugh:. Compare that to towns like Bosaso, Garowe, Galgodob and Gaalkacyo that flourished under decentralised governance.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
do you want somalia to be like other african countries with on metropolitan and the rest of the country slums who starve :mindblown: it would be bettter for every city to be at a medium level than one big city and the rest trash...besides dont you think somalis are too tribally possessive over their cities? even if everyone built on one city one tribe would take all the credit

Large Africans cities are shit because of . .. Well Africans.

Asians mostly live in these large metros. It's the reason why they create such productive economies even when they started at a low base.

Even US & UK is based around mega cities.

Most their other regions were undeveloped until recently.

The location of this city would be difficult to pick.

My vote would be somewhere in Sanaag since that's our original Homeland. Whether it's dir or darood we all have a claim to it.

The people there obviously would have something to say about it.

Large Africans cities are shit because of . .. Well Africans.

Asians mostly live in these large metros. It's the reason why they create such productive economies even when they started at a low base.

Even US & UK is based around mega cities.

Most their other regions were undeveloped until recently.

The location of this city would be difficult to pick.

My vote would be somewhere in Sanaag since that's our original Homeland. Whether it's dir or darood we all have a claim to it.

The people there obviously would have something to say about it.
one thing reading these forums taught me is how people really think (and the constant conflict in the countrt backs it up:/ ) and that is that they harbor extreme xenophobia and greed when it comes to "their cities" imagine if people living in the west are saying things like they're happy they "won" the war and "cleansed" their city, despite being refugees, imagine the people who actually live in the country and actively participate in conflicts...

I would never think somalis in the west would ever be so stupid but apparently they are. so now im of the opinion that if any little extended family tree wants to start their own country let it happen, no more forcing unity and fake somalinimo/wadani crap people

Farm

VIP
People who against decentralization tend to not have a federal member state or want all the wealth of the country concentrated in their tribal territory of Mogadishu.

There is no good reason to be against decentralization, it allows everyone to develop their villages/towns/cities and increase the overall productivity of the country.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
one thing reading these forums taught me is how people really think (and the constant conflict in the countrt backs it up:/ ) and that is that they harbor extreme xenophobia and greed when it comes to "their cities" imagine if people living in the west are saying things like they're happy they "won" the war and "cleansed" their city, despite being refugees, imagine the people who actually live in the country and actively participate in conflicts...

I would never think somalis in the west would ever be so stupid but apparently they are. so now im of the opinion that if any little extended family tree wants to start their own country let it happen, no more forcing unity and fake somalinimo/wadani crap people

We never really had a chance at nation building. If we split up into autonomous fiefdoms it'll just exacerbate the divisions.

Also it will create more problems than it would solve.

How will we decide on these "state" borders?

You'd just end up with another reason to fight.

Let's start with a single city first and provide basic services to the population and then if we still can't get along we would have built an economy large enough to fund the development of these fiefdoms.

You can't put the cart before the horse.

We don't have the funds to build a single large hospital so how do you plan to build a dozen?

However in a single city it would be cost effective to build one large one instead.

We can also get away with less doctors per capita as long as people don't have to travel for hundreds of miles to get treated.

Crow

Make Hobyo Great Again
VIP
We never really had a chance at nation building. If we split up into autonomous fiefdoms it'll just exacerbate the divisions.

Also it will create more problems than it would solve.

How will we decide on these "state" borders?

You'd just end up with another reason to fight.

Let's start with a single city first and provide basic services to the population and then if we still can't get along we would have built an economy large enough to fund the development of these fiefdoms.

You can't put the cart before the horse.

We don't have the funds to build a single large hospital so how do you plan to build a dozen?

However in a single city it would be cost effective to build one large one instead.

We can also get away with less doctors per capita as long as people don't have to travel for hundreds of miles to get treated.
Good idea. Let's make the capital city Garowe. Locals will live within the city walls and newcomers like you can join their cousins in the IDP camps. Everyone wins.
:russsmug:

DR OSMAN

AF NAAREED
VIP
Good idea. Let's make the capital city Garowe. Locals will live within the city walls and newcomers like you can join their cousins in the IDP camps. Everyone wins.

I noticed the centralist like @RasCanjero get exposed about centralism when they're told lets make garowe the capital, he is no longer a centralist now. His a pure tribalist nothing more or else let's relocate the capital to PL, what's stopping you after all your centralist and you just care one city develops, so you shouldn't care if that town is garowe unless there is clan reasons:gaasdrink:

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP

So your clan can kick everyone out after everything's been developed?

Like I mentioned let's a pick a site where there's little development and every clan has a claim to. Mogadishu or Garowe ain't it.

Ras

It's all so tiresome
VIP
I noticed the centralist like @RasCanjero get exposed about centralism when they're told lets make garowe the capital, he is no longer a centralist now. His a pure tribalist nothing more or else let's relocate the capital to PL, what's stopping you after all your centralist and you just care one city develops, so you shouldn't care if that town is garowe unless there is clan reasons:gaasdrink:

Last week I was a lander and now I'm a centralist? :hmm:

Trending