HISTORY Intriguing info found in the book "Historical Dictionary of Somalia"

al-Mu'tamid المعتمد

عِشْ مَا شِئْتَ فَإِنَّكَ مَيِّتٌ
As I was reading the "Historical Dictionary of Somalia" by Mohamed Haji Mukhtar, I came across some fascinating details. The book spans from the Jiddu presence in the Horn (proto-Somali I) to the TNA withdrawing confidence in the Transitional National Government (TNG).

What piqued my interest were the accounts dating back to 700 AD, where Caliph Abdul Malik Ibn Marwan of the Umayyads sent an expedition to conquer Mogadishu and secure its annual tribute, and in 755 AD when Abu Ja’far al-Mansur of the Abbasids appointed a viceroy to collect taxes and supervise Islamic teachings in Mogadishu. It makes me wonder, how significant was the influence of these Caliphates in the region, or is it possible that these accounts are unfounded?

1682374894912.png
1682374916562.png

If it is written by Mohamed Haji Mukhtar, the erudite historian of Savannah State university, then I would not question its authenticity, for he is deemed a fine son of ardu Somal, a genuine historian, and decent man, unlike others who just chase the limelight. He is in the same category as the late Said Sh Samatar of Rutgers university, both good men as many of their contemporaries.