Indigenous leaders to UN: Make cultural appropriation ILLEGAL WORLDWIDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nightline Kid

Hippo Crate
Chemically relaxed but damaged hair and a lighter but very damaged and susceptible skin... makes me wanna cry wallahi when I hear about how the girls feel pressured into changing themselves.

LOOOL I was asked if I had cancer or going bald and wore the scarf to hide it :dead:
It's so sad. I know quite a number of Somali girls whose hair started falling apart when they used relaxer. My hooyo used to use it, but she stopped and her original soft hair has come back, including her pretty baby hairs.
And you got the cancer question too?! I don't understand where they think of this stuff
:chrisfreshhah:

Is it considered to be curly hair?
I'd say kinky-curly tbh

To be fair, it's bc they're told their hair is ugly. It isn't meant to steal or profit off of straight 1a-3c hair, esp when kinky hair has a negative connotation behind it. Straight white hair is the "ideal", so black women get shit on when they go natural or if they get a weave.

Well, not my problem. I'm too busy dodging the "isn't the hijab hot during the summer" talk from coworkers :damn:
Nobody is lying when they say kinky hair is ugly. Genes fucked them over.

giphy.gif

I understand how traditional/sacred clothes/symbols may be offensive to approppriate but i seriously don't understand how wearing braids/dreads etc is offensive :manny:

Nightline Kid

Hippo Crate
I understand how traditional/sacred clothes/symbols may be offensive to approppriate but i seriously don't understand how wearing braids/dreads etc is offensive :manny:
From my understanding I think it's more of a case of double standards. When black people wear it they might face a series a problems, such as people thinking their hair is dirty, or in drastic cases not being allowed to wear their hair like that at work or even school. But when white people wear it, it's considered fashionable and chic, and they're praised for it.

Personally my only problem with white people wearing dreadlocks is that their hair was not meant to be styled like that so they look very musty and gross, plus there's reports of mold growing in their hair as a result
:lolbron:
It's more of a black feminist hot topic than something truly significant, really

From my understanding I think it's more of a case of double standards. When black people wear it they might face a series a problems, such as people thinking their hair is dirty, or in drastic cases not being allowed to wear their hair like that at work or even school. But when white people wear it, it's considered fashionable and chic, and they're praised for it.

Personally my only problem with white people wearing dreadlocks is that their hair was not meant to be styled like that so they look very musty and gross, plus there's reports of mold growing in their hair as a result
:lolbron:
It's more of a black feminist hot topic than something truly significant, really
I understand but I still don't think that's a legitimate reason to get offended over it. The white people that are praised for wearing dreads are mainly fashion icons/celebs but I'm sure any respectable company would turn away ANYONE in dreads, whether white or black. It just looks non-respectable to most. That sucks for those black girls but they should take their anger out on the right people, not random white girls in dreads.
Also I swear dreads are an Indian/Asian thing originally. Loads of Indians wear them as a show of devotion and Indians have the same hair texture as whites, it's just that many white people don't know how to properly take care of them and so it leads to thinning/ripped out hair and mold
It's just a non-issue to me :manny:

Nightline Kid

Hippo Crate
I understand but I still don't think that's a legitimate reason to get offended over it. The white people that are praised for wearing dreads are mainly fashion icons/celebs but I'm sure any respectable company would turn away ANYONE in dreads, whether white or black. It just looks non-respectable to most. That sucks for those black girls but they should take their anger out on the right people, not random white girls in dreads.
Also I swear dreads are an Indian/Asian thing originally. Loads of Indians wear them as a show of devotion and Indians have the same hair texture as whites, it's just that many white people don't know how to properly take care of them and so it leads to thinning/ripped out hair and mold
It's just a non-issue to me :manny:
Yeah, same to me really. But like I said, I believe it's one of those black Twitter feminists topics, it's something that affects black people in real life but not to the extent that these feminists hype it up to.
I know Indians and Asians braid their hair but I've never seen them with dreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending

Latest posts