Images of a somali city drives africans jealous on twitter

So these images of bosaso have gone viral on african Twitter. Read the comments they cant believe how war torn somalia can look better than their country etc.

Where are the self haters, admit we're doing pretty well for a country under conflict for 30 years.

giphy.gif

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
It makes me happy to see Somalis developing their cities/country. But it also makes frustrated because I know we could achieve so much more if we didn’t have an absolutely useless govt.

QueenofKings

Kick in the door wavin the .44
We need more private sector development

It helps but I don’t think private sector could ever compensate for a well run govt. The number 1 priority for the private sector will always be profit. A good govt is required to offset that and champion for the peoples cause. But they’re both important they go hand in hand.

It makes me happy to see Somalis developing their cities/country. But it also makes frustrated because I know we could achieve so much more if we didn’t have an absolutely useless govt.

Yeah we'll get there surely! Our only obstacle is ourselves if we just let go of our minor differences together we can have so much more. I can already see we're past qabil and all that nonsense now its just political drama.

It helps but I don’t think private sector could ever compensate for a well run govt. The number 1 priority for the private sector will always be profit. A good govt is required to offset that and champion for the peoples cause. But they’re both important they go hand in hand.
Apart from a competent govt, the private sector is absolutely important. It is what allows for entrepreneurship to thrive. Individuals or groups who are willing to risk their capital to establish and run businesses and companies. This in turn translates to creation of more jobs and also more tax revenue for the govt.

The govt cannot do it all alone, run all sectors of an economy create jobs and generate tax revenue. In most modern economies today, it is the private sector that drives the bulk of the economy. The govt is just there for legislation and oversight purposes.

I’d be interested in seeing a vlog of what things look like on the ground. Things don’t often look like what they seem through pictures.
I agree with you. Airbrushed selected photos of a city's night skyline can lie, but a daylight video cannot lie. Those pictures of Bosaso look great but a closer view of the city from a video would tell you that the city still needs more improvement on its overall infrastructure.

I agree with you. Airbrushed selected photos of a city's night skyline can lie, but a daylight video cannot lie. Those pictures of Bosaso look great but a closer view of the city from a video would tell you that the city still needs more improvement on its overall infrastructure.
Yes. I think these pictures can be harmful because they give an impression that isn’t accurate. Often I’ve heard people say that Somalia is nothing like what these pictures portray and in fact, still needs a lot of work. We’re still in the early development stages but you’d never know it looking at these pictures. They’re misleading.

Yes. I think these pictures can be harmful because they give an impression that isn’t accurate. Often I’ve heard people say that Somalia is nothing like what these pictures portray and in fact, still needs a lot of work. We’re still in the early development stages but you’d never know it looking at these pictures. They’re misleading.

Pictures that portray the poverty and suffering are also harmful because they only feed negative stereotypes of somalia. So it is impertaive we showcase beautiful photos that illimunute positivity and to show the world theres more to us than just war and piracy.

The image people have of somalia is so bad why feed into that narrative?

Pictures that portray the poverty and suffering are also harmful because they only feed negative stereotypes of somalia. So it is impertaive we showcase beautiful photos that illimunute positivity and to show the world theres more to us than just war and piracy.

The point is to find a healthy medium that showcases an accurate portrayal of what Somalia really looks like. Besides, I’m not interested in showcasing a positive image of Somalia to the world, when we have deep, complex issues that need to be fixed first.

But then again, it’s not surprising given that we’re a people who care more about having a good image than actually fixing the problems present. Very superficial way of thinking.

Exactly. The whole world has been fed so much negativity on Somalia that even dirt poor Africans act like they're a fird world nation when Somalia comes up.

I don't know why some Somalis can't see this and stop being so pedantic talking about 'but its not the reality'.

The point is to find a healthy medium that showcases an accurate portrayal of what Somalia really looks like. Besides, I’m not interested in showcasing a positive image of Somalia to the world, when we have deep, complex issues that need to be fixed first.

But then again, it’s not surprising given that we’re a people who care more about having a good image than actually fixing the problems present. Very superficial way of thinking.

Do you think somalia is the only country with complex issues? let's face it there's no place in Africa or even the world without issues, most of africa is a shithole with every problem somalia has and more.

Caring about our image doesn't mean we're denying or neglecting the bigger problems but its important to show our people and the world that there is more to us than just suffering and war which is the truth.

There is development, education, diasporas returning, business, construction not sheding light on the positive side is simply not telling the truth. The bleak image of somalia only serves one purpose its a defeatism attitude.

People need to know somalia is reborn and on the mend.

Trending