I'm Thinking of Joining Sufism.

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Salam aleiykum guys,

Earlier this year, I got into affirmations and yoga. I may be an ascetic at heart since I've always been drawn to this kind of lifestyle. Plus it actually had a positive impact and made me more calm. I'd visited an ashram if it wasn't for fear of shirk..

Anyway, I'm listening to Hamza Yusuf and I love how most of his lectures focus more on spirituality (lots of dhikr), finding meaning in nature, seeking knowledge rather societal issues like marrying 4 wives and the sorts. Don't get me wrong, I think these topics are important but are not applicable to me at this point of my life. I think joining sufism will allow me to have the spiritual experience I am seeking without falling into one of the major sin in Islam.

Interested in honest feedback on whether I should join sufism and what to expect. Thank you 🙏

Salam aleiykum guys,

Earlier this year, I got into affirmations and yoga. I may be an ascetic at heart since I've always been drawn to this kind of lifestyle. Plus it actually had a positive impact and made me more calm. I'd visited an ashram if it wasn't for fear of shirk..

Anyway, I'm listening to Hamza Yusuf and I love how most of his lectures focus more on spirituality (lots of dhikr), finding meaning in nature, seeking knowledge rather societal issues like marrying 4 wives and the sorts. Don't get me wrong, I think these topics are important but are not applicable to me at this point of my life. I think joining sufism will allow me to have the spiritual experience I am seeking without falling into one of the major sin in Islam.

Interested in honest feedback on whether I should join sufism and what to expect. Thank you 🙏

HELLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I would say be a moderate in between sufism and salafism. Both sides take certain liberties and are too extreme in certain things but it doesn't really matter aslong as your still ahlu sunnah wal jammah. All the spiritual stuff is still very much present in the main stream middle. In life you need a balance going to much on one side either way is risky.

Anyways just make sure you don't jump off the deep end with the sufi stuff tho since that can go into bidah, sihr/dancing etc

Salam aleiykum guys,

MIX IT

sufi and sunni is the way of enlightenment .

dhikr all day by saying quranic verses and 5 daily prayers , this will give you inner peace .

real sufis dont dance or twirl we just pray and do dhikr dhikr=saying prayers .

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
first i was spiritual than sufi than muslim. and i think best is sunni

What an interesting journey you've had walal.
If you don't mind me asking, why did you leave sufism for Sunni?

I feel like Sunnis are too focused on political and social issues rather than spirituality which is the main purpose of Islam.

MIX IT

sufi and sunni is the way of enlightenment .

dhikr all day by saying quranic verses and 5 daily prayers , this will give you inner peace .

real sufis dont dance or twirl we just pray and do dhikr dhikr=saying prayers .
"Just mix it n shit"
Have you actually read any sufi or sunni scholars?

What an interesting journey you've had walal.
If you don't mind me asking, why did you leave sufism for Sunni?

I feel like Sunnis are too focused on political and social issues rather than spirituality which is the main purpose of Islam.
sufism you go in to trance when doing their rituals like their music and movements. but i have realised christians can go in trance aswell nothing special then about sufism. but sunni was most moderate and for my liking

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
I would say be a moderate in between sufism and salafism. Both sides take certain liberties and are too extreme in certain things but it doesn't really matter aslong as your still ahlu sunnah wal jammah. All the spiritual stuff is still very much present in the main stream middle. In life you need a balance going to much on one side either way is risky.

Anyways just make sure you don't jump off the deep end with the sufi stuff tho since that can go into bidah, sihr/dancing etc

I'm just starting my sufism journey so it'll be hard to find a middle ground of the two but I'll keep this in mind. Thank you 😇

induction

Nothing is true; everything is permitted
Salam aleiykum guys,

be careful, you might join a cult by accident. i'd recommend self teaching sufism instead of finding a teacher. lots of people (i think including imam nawawi) regard ihya-ulum-adin by imam ghazali pretty highly so maybe look into that. am also supper interested in it, so lmk how it goes

Wa aleykumu salaam,

disappointed oh no GIF

Wa 'alaykumu salaam,

Don't "join" any group/sect and stick to the Jamaa'ah.

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ فَرَّقُوا دِينَهُمْ وَكَانُوا شِيَعًا لَّسْتَ مِنْهُمْ فِي شَيْءٍ ۚ إِنَّمَا أَمْرُهُمْ إِلَى اللَّهِ ثُمَّ يُنَبِّئُهُم بِمَا كَانُوا يَفْعَلُونَ

“Indeed, those who have divided their religion and become sects, you O Prophet, are not associated with them in anything. Their affair is left only to Allah and He will inform them about what they used to do.”

(Al-An’ām: 159)

The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stood among us and said: “Those who came before you of the people of the Book split into seventy-two sects, and this ummah will split into seventy-three: seventy-two in Hell and one in Paradise, and that is the jamaa’ah (main body of Muslims).”

Abu Dawood (4597)

Hamzza

VIP
Salam aleiykum guys,

You are lovely person stay away from Sufis and Sufism is damage to the mind.

Imam Shafi'i was spot on when he said that nobody turns into a Sufi except that they become an idiot by midday.

Good point 👍

Is it okay if I don't identify as sufi but hang out in their spaces to learn from them?
Depends on the type of Sufis but don't learn Aqeedah from them. Some of them believe Awliya like Sheikh AbdulqadirJeylani is higher rank than the Prophets. Stay away from these type of Sufis.

I feel like you have been hypnotized by their speech. Lol

Hodan from HR

Be Kind Online.
Staff Member
Depends on the type of Sufis but don't learn Aqeedah from them. Some of them believe Awliya like Sheikh AbdulqadirJeylani is higher rank than the Prophets. Stay away from these type of Sufis.

I feel like you have been hypnotized by their speech. Lol

You might be right. Going into trance is a surreal experience. Feels like you get high without the drugs subhanallah.

I'm scared of accidentally joining cults.
I also don't want to mess with dead people and spirits. My heart yearns for a connection to its creator but it's like everything around me is designed to keep me away from Him (s.w)

You might be right. Going into trance is a surreal experience. Feels like you get high without the drugs subhanallah.

I also don't want to mess with dead people and spirits. My heart yearns for a connection to its creator but it's like everything around me is designed to keep me away from Him (s.w)
Yeah I feel you, same here.

Try to be alone with Allah in the last part of the night if possible. Do a lot of dhikr, recite the Qur'an.

Find friends that are sound in Aqeedah, you don't want to be alone in Islam.

Just know I'm actually advising myself here lol, we are all in the same boat.

Good point 👍

Is it okay if I don't identify as sufi but hang out in their spaces to learn from them?

In that case you would be Sufi in all but name, and even then may eventually identify as such.

You yearn to worship your Creator as that is the fitrah, but you should only worship Him how He instructed/revealed for us to worship Him. Remember the Prophet ﷺ told us if we stick to the Qur'an and Sunnah we won't go astray, so avoid anything that isn't found there or any doubtful matters. You will not find a better way to worship Allah and seek nearness to Him than the way of the Prophet ﷺ who was sent as an example for us to achieve exactly that.

Sufism/tasawwuf is a part of Islam and you could benefit from it a lot. Many of the great sheikhs followed the path of tasawwuf as well. If you have any questions you're free to DM me! I'd be happy to assist you.

Something that helps me get closer to Allah (Our Creator) is by listening to his words (Quran) with a sheikh that reads slowly and has an emotional voice, if you can listen to a recitation with subtitles that’s best.

See above some Quran recitations from Sheikh Idris abkar one of my favourites to listen to when my Imaan (faith) is weak. Let me know what you think.

Trending

Latest posts