Ibn Battuta's favorite city in East Africa was Mogadishu, and his most disliked city was Zeila.

No its not!
ياخي اذا ماتعرف عربي لاتفتي
Have you heard of ثوره الزنج
Why wasn't it called ثوره السودان if it had the same meaning?
I know arabic and زنجي doesn't directly translate to "Negro" as it's a derogatory word applied to black people by the arabs.

Have you heard of ثوره الزنج
Why wasn't it called ثوره السودان if it had the same meaning?
Cuz it was slave rebellion led by an Arab man who sought to overthrow the Abbasid state

By "negro", I meant "dark-skinned". The actual word Ibn Battuta used was سود, which means “black” or “dark-skinned”. Some authors have chosen to translate this as “negro”, as the literal meaning of “negro” is “black”, same as سود. The Arabic word زنجي was used to describe the blacks of southeast Africa. It was not used to describe other blacks, such as the blacks of west Africa, who were also described as سود. Regardless, all of this is just semantics, you know what I meant.

What other communities could this description have applied to? Please, name just ONE. Please.

Hararis? Argobba? Oromos? Bantus? Arabs? Afars? Stop avoiding the question and just name ONE group for us. :pachah1:
So the only black Muslims that existed in Zeila were Somalis? No other black ethnic group other than Somalis inhabited the coast or further inland of Zeila. Do you realize Ibn Battuta's description fits other ethnic groups in Zeila, like the Argobba and Harla? They are also black Muslims, lol.

Also, Ibn Battuta says their food is, for the most part, camel's flesh and fish. Somalis don't consume fish and actually look down upon it. The traditional Somali diet never consisted of fish. Fish was never a major part of the Somali diet. You reached a premature conclusion about Ibn Battuta's statement based on your own preconceived assumptions.

attash

Amaan Duule
So the only black Muslims that existed in Zeila were Somalis? No other black ethnic group other than Somalis inhabited the coast or further inland of Zeila. Do you realize Ibn Battuta's description fits other ethnic groups in Zeila, like the Argobba and Harla? They are also black Muslims, lol.

Also, Ibn Battuta says their food is, for the most part, camel's flesh and fish. Somalis don't consume fish and actually look down upon it. The traditional Somali diet never consisted of fish. Fish was never a major part of the Somali diet. You reached a premature conclusion about Ibn Battuta's statement based on your own preconceived assumptions.
Does the territory of the Argobba or Harla stretch between Zeila and Mogadishu? Yes or No?

Also, there is no evidence that the Somali diet never consisted of fish. Some accounts from the 19th century say the Somalis of that time period didn't consume fish. This doesn't mean that Somalis never ever in history consumed fish, it only means that the Somalis of the time period and area didn't consume fish. You're grasping at straws at this point 😂.

The books say that these tribes lived in Zeila. Where is the evidence that these tribes ruled Zeila? Give us a direct quote.
To this day, you haven't named a single Somali leader who ruled over Zeila before the Arabs migration into the historic town. There was not a single mention of a Somali ruler in Zeila prior to the 19th century in any academic source. If those Arab tribes were just settlers, then there must have been an indigenous Somali ruler in Zeila. What was his name?

The book of Aqeeliyoon doesn't refer to a single Somali ruler in Zeila. Those Arabs settled and ruled Zeila, and it is well documented. I already listed all the Arab tribes that ruled Zeila. Hussein Al Zaylici, Banu Makhzum, Mawyanni, and Walashma rulers. Now you are trying to use one of your cheap antics to deflect from my main point. Name a single Somali ruler in Zeila before the 19th century.

Emir of Zayla

𝕹𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓 𝖔𝖋 𝕻𝖔𝖊𝖙𝖘
To this day, you haven't named a single Somali leader who ruled over Zeila before the Arabs migration into the historic town. There was not a single mention of a Somali ruler in Zeila prior to the 19th century in any academic source. If those Arab tribes were just settlers, then there must have been an indigenous Somali ruler in Zeila. What was his name?

The book of Aqeeliyoon doesn't refer to a single Somali ruler in Zeila. Those Arabs settled and ruled Zeila, and it is well documented. I already listed all the Arab tribes that ruled Zeila. Hussein Al Zaylici, Banu Makhzum, Mawyanni, and Walashma rulers. Now you are trying to use one of your cheap antics to deflect from my main point. Name a single Somali ruler in Zeila before the 19th century.
What’s this mysterious Arab migration to Zeila? 😂😂 you really do love to cope, Walashma are not Arabs and Zayla’i is a Somali nisba

Does the territory of the Argobba or Harla stretch between Zeila and Mogadishu? Yes or No?

Also, there is no evidence that the Somali diet never consisted of fish. Some accounts from the 19th century say the Somalis of that time period didn't consume fish. This doesn't mean that Somalis never ever in history consumed fish, it only means that the Somalis of the time period and area didn't consume fish. You're grasping at straws at this point 😂.
Historically, Zayla was described as a territory of forty-three days’ march by forty, divided into seven great provinces, speaking about fifty languages, and ruled by Amirs, subject to the Hati (Hatze) of Abyssinia. Out of all those 50 languages, what makes you unquestionably certain that it was referring to Somalis? Arrogoba controlled a significant amount of land, and they were of great importance to the Muslim rulers in the region. They used to dominate and have considerable influence in the region.

In his description of the territory of Prester John (the Christian King), the 16th-century Portuguese author Alvarez wrote that when the king went on a campaign to Adiya, he left the queen and his children in the custody of the rulers of the Kingdom of Argobba. He wrote that this kingdom, which was adjacent to the Kingdom of Adiya, had its eastern border in the direction of Mogadishu.

attash

Amaan Duule
Historically, Zayla was described as a territory of forty-three days’ march by forty, divided into seven great provinces, speaking about fifty languages, and ruled by Amirs, subject to the Hati (Hatze) of Abyssinia. Out of all those 50 languages, what makes you unquestionably certain that it was referring to Somalis? Arrogoba controlled a significant amount of land, and they were of great importance to the Muslim rulers in the region. They used to dominate and have considerable influence in the region.

In his description of the territory of Prester John (the Christian King), the 16th-century Portuguese author Alvarez wrote that when the king went on a campaign to Adiya, he left the queen and his children in the custody of the rulers of the Kingdom of Argobba. He wrote that this kingdom, which was adjacent to the Kingdom of Adiya, had its eastern border in the direction of Mogadishu.
:drakelaugh: :drakelaugh: :drakelaugh:

This argument has reached the point where you are claiming Argobbas have had a presence in Mogadishu. You have given me enough laughs for now, people are starting to look at me like I'm crazy. Until next time sxb.

Trending

Latest posts